E4.23425: Blues Scouting Flyers for Trade Possibilities

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: E4.23425: Blues Scouting Flyers for Trade Possibilities

Post by theohall »

dmiles2186 wrote:
theohall wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:Now, I'm not saying this is an equal value trade or that either team would do this, but Shatty for Giroux straight up. Is that a deal you make?
Why would anyone in their right mind trade Shattenkirk?? That makes no sense.
Gretzky was once traded. Twice even. Chris Pronger was once traded for Eric Brewer and some lint. You tell me. Anyone is fair game.
And how long had those mentioned been playing?? They weren't second or third year players and among the league leaders in scoring. Unless you are getting back a proven superstar and multiple picks to replace that current level of scoring and all the future scoring they should provide, you don't trade them.

Mike Keenan isn't running the Blues now.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Maybe I'm in the minority but I sincerely hope the Blues don't make any drastic, desperation type of move just because a few guys have gone down with injuries. I still feel a little bit "meh" about this season anyway, especially after I just realized tonight that it's practically halfway over already. I say you let this play out as is and then reevaluate everything this offseason. Trade Shattenkirk? That's a guy you build around. I'd anchor this ship with Pie AND Shattenkirk and work out from there, but what the heck do I know?
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

theohall wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
theohall wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:Now, I'm not saying this is an equal value trade or that either team would do this, but Shatty for Giroux straight up. Is that a deal you make?
Gretzky was once traded. Twice even. Chris Pronger was once traded for Eric Brewer and some lint. You tell me. Anyone is fair game.
And how long had those mentioned been playing?? They weren't second or third year players and among the league leaders in scoring. Unless you are getting back a proven superstar and multiple picks to replace that current level of scoring and all the future scoring they should provide, you don't trade them.

So Claude Giroux isn't a star and doesn't provide scoring? I know he's not on Sidney Crosby's level, but he scored 93 points last season. I don't get why the question is that far fetched. You wouldn't at least consider it if Giroux was the other player involved?

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

They'd have to get Giroux and both Schenns for me to consider it.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

dmiles2186 wrote:
theohall wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
theohall wrote:

So Claude Giroux isn't a star and doesn't provide scoring? I know he's not on Sidney Crosby's level, but he scored 93 points last season. I don't get why the question is that far fetched. You wouldn't at least consider it if Giroux was the other player involved?
Giroux has scored 20+ goals twice. Would you replace one of the league's top scoring defenseman with a 20-30 goal a year guy, when that guy has never even scored 30 goals in season?? I would not. 20-30 goal guys are far easier to find than scoring defenseman, and Giroux is a 20-30 goal guy. Heck, the Blues probably have that already in Rattie and could have both Shattenkirk and Rattie in a couple of years as long as Shattie isn't moved.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

theohall wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
theohall wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
theohall wrote:

Giroux has scored 20+ goals twice. Would you replace one of the league's top scoring defenseman with a 20-30 goal a year guy, when that guy has never even scored 30 goals in season?? I would not. 20-30 goal guys are far easier to find than scoring defenseman, and Giroux is a 20-30 goal guy. Heck, the Blues probably have that already in Rattie and could have both Shattenkirk and Rattie in a couple of years as long as Shattie isn't moved.
Fair enough. I'm not saying I just want to give Shattenkirk up, but I'd think about it a bit if Giroux was involved. He's not a 30+ goal scorer, but he's put up 70+ points the last two years. That's something.

But you're right, scoring defensemen are hard to find and we've got two of them. My only thought is whether the Blues will pay them both. If they won't, then a trade is definitely a possibility. That's hard to ignore.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

Flyers need to dump salary. If we were to trade it would most likely be Andy Mac. This works for us because Giroux cap hit is 6.5 million the next two years but his salary is only going to be $5 million out of pocket over the next two years. They take Andy don't resign him and dump salary. DaDitka and I were talking about this the other day we might even ask for cash consideration from them since they aren't cash strapped just in cap trouble.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya