I'm getting twitchy!!!

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey.

Moderator: LGB Mods

I'm getting twitchy!!!

Postby sseagle » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:17 am

We need more hockies!! Why we off so long?? I guess center ice will be handy this week :(
Or I can watch boosketballs? Hah!
Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Image
User avatar
sseagle
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2092
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:03 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: I'm getting twitchy!!!

Postby AlsWoodenStick » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:39 am

5 days off and then 3 games in 4 days... Ok then. Time to lick those wounds & get ready to kick some ass.
And yes, CenterIce will help a lot.
I'm trying to find a Canadian team to follow, obviously not the Caf*cks, I'm kinda liking the Oilers. My brother has been following the Senators & I just heard an interview on 101 ESPN with Bishop, sounds like he's enjoying his time there. Any ideas on who's bandwagon I should jump on?
Image
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.
Image
User avatar
AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:53 am
Location: Section 106

Re: I'm getting twitchy!!!

Postby dmiles2186 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:20 pm

sseagle wrote:We need more hockies!! Why we off so long?? I guess center ice will be handy this week :(
Or I can watch boosketballs? Hah!


MLS! But that doesn't start until next Saturday...and I'm sure I'll be lectured about how much the MLS sucks.
Image

Official 2013-2014 Sponsor Extraordinaire of Alex "Petro" Pietrangelo
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5853
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: I'm getting twitchy!!!

Postby glen a richter » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:16 pm

MLS???? MLS???? Seriously? I'd rather watch the Dead Things.

My eastern conference team has always been Florida for some reason, I guess because I was a big Dave Lowry fan and when he ended up in Florida I started following them.
Official sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
Official sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
Official sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7185
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: I'm getting twitchy!!!

Postby sseagle » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:24 pm

glen a richter wrote:MLS???? MLS???? Seriously? I'd rather watch the Dead Things.

My eastern conference team has always been Florida for some reason, I guess because I was a big Dave Lowry fan and when he ended up in Florida I started following them.


How can you shit on the mls and love a team that throws rubber rats?
Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Image
User avatar
sseagle
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2092
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:03 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: I'm getting twitchy!!!

Postby AlsWoodenStick » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:17 pm

sseagle wrote:
glen a richter wrote:MLS???? MLS???? Seriously? I'd rather watch the Dead Things.

My eastern conference team has always been Florida for some reason, I guess because I was a big Dave Lowry fan and when he ended up in Florida I started following them.


How can you shit on the mls and love a team that throws rubber rats?

Haha that's good. I used to love Florida as a kid but lately I feel like they've disappeared. My EC team is Boston, mainly because I like playing them in NHL 12 and destroying people while I yell "Chara BOOM!"
Image
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.
Image
User avatar
AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:53 am
Location: Section 106

Re: I'm getting twitchy!!!

Postby dmiles2186 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:40 pm

glen a richter wrote:MLS???? MLS???? Seriously? I'd rather watch the Dead Things.


Strong words. Especially from someone who could care less about soccer. MLS isn't the highest quality football on the planet, no. But it's a league on the rise. It's a 17 year old league. I bet MLB or NHL or NFL were firing on all cylinders 17 years in, right?
Image

Official 2013-2014 Sponsor Extraordinaire of Alex "Petro" Pietrangelo
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5853
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: I'm getting twitchy!!!

Postby Shanahan19 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:17 pm

dmiles2186 wrote:
sseagle wrote:We need more hockies!! Why we off so long?? I guess center ice will be handy this week :(
Or I can watch boosketballs? Hah!


MLS! But that doesn't start until next Saturday...and I'm sure I'll be lectured about how much the MLS sucks.


LA since the start...but Portland is so enjoyable to watch. A city that has really embraced soccer.

LA is now post-Beckham. Seemed like just yesterday when it began.

STL should have long ago had a team. It's rare not to watch a game without the announcers mentioning Saint Louis multiple times in terms of players in the league, history, etc.
"Shanahan beating up on a Winnipeg player..." - Ken Wilson April 14, 1994
User avatar
Shanahan19
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:26 pm
Location: Wildwood, Missouri

Re: I'm getting twitchy!!!

Postby AlsWoodenStick » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:47 pm

Shanahan19 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
sseagle wrote:We need more hockies!! Why we off so long?? I guess center ice will be handy this week :(
Or I can watch boosketballs? Hah!


MLS! But that doesn't start until next Saturday...and I'm sure I'll be lectured about how much the MLS sucks.


LA since the start...but Portland is so enjoyable to watch. A city that has really embraced soccer.

LA is now post-Beckham. Seemed like just yesterday when it began.

STL should have long ago had a team. It's rare not to watch a game without the announcers mentioning Saint Louis multiple times in terms of players in the league, history, etc.

I've got some family in Portland and I'm going to a game in a couple weeks, can't wait. I've seen their games on TV and it looks awesome. Portland in general embraces odd stuff, and in terms of major sports in America soccer is one of the odder ones, I suppose.

And yes,we need a team, but where would they play?
Image
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.
Image
User avatar
AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:53 am
Location: Section 106

Re: I'm getting twitchy!!!

Postby dmiles2186 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:27 am

AlsWoodenStick wrote:
Shanahan19 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
sseagle wrote:We need more hockies!! Why we off so long?? I guess center ice will be handy this week :(
Or I can watch boosketballs? Hah!


MLS! But that doesn't start until next Saturday...and I'm sure I'll be lectured about how much the MLS sucks.


LA since the start...but Portland is so enjoyable to watch. A city that has really embraced soccer.

LA is now post-Beckham. Seemed like just yesterday when it began.

STL should have long ago had a team. It's rare not to watch a game without the announcers mentioning Saint Louis multiple times in terms of players in the league, history, etc.

I've got some family in Portland and I'm going to a game in a couple weeks, can't wait. I've seen their games on TV and it looks awesome. Portland in general embraces odd stuff, and in terms of major sports in America soccer is one of the odder ones, I suppose.

And yes,we need a team, but where would they play?


That is awesome! I remember back in the one season AC St. Louis existed, you could watch them on Fox Sports Northwest, or whatever, when they played in Portland. There are some MLS teams who still aren't on a local Fox Sports channel now. Even back then, when the Timbers were in D2, they had insane support.

I love watching their games on TV. The crowd just leaps through the screen. Hope you have a good time. Do you know which team they are playing when you go to see them?
Image

Official 2013-2014 Sponsor Extraordinaire of Alex "Petro" Pietrangelo
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5853
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: I'm getting twitchy!!!

Postby glen a richter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:41 am

I'm sure they can find some junior high field to play if they want to put a team in St. Louis. That's about all a soccer team is worth anyway.
Official sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
Official sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
Official sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7185
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: I'm getting twitchy!!!

Postby DaDitka » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:26 am

When...not if.....when Kroenke builds a sports complex in Fenton I fully expect it to include a real MLS stadium and team. Probably still 5 or more years away, but I really think that's how it will play out.
Image

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund
User avatar
DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 2800
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:21 pm
Location: sailing with the Captain

Re: I'm getting twitchy!!!

Postby dmiles2186 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:58 am

glen a richter wrote:I'm sure they can find some junior high field to play if they want to put a team in St. Louis. That's about all a soccer team is worth anyway.


Or 2.23 billion...

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45ikd ... -united-2/
Image

Official 2013-2014 Sponsor Extraordinaire of Alex "Petro" Pietrangelo
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5853
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: I'm getting twitchy!!!

Postby dmiles2186 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:04 am

DaDitka wrote:When...not if.....when Kroenke builds a sports complex in Fenton I fully expect it to include a real MLS stadium and team. Probably still 5 or more years away, but I really think that's how it will play out.


That would be awesome. That's is the only thing stopping St. Louis from getting an MLS team, it seems. They need financing and a stadium. Jeff Cooper certainly gave it a go but he doesn't have the pockets that Kroenke does, obviously. If Jeff Cooper had tried to get a team back in 2001 instead of 2008, he might have succeeded. But the league has grown leaps and bounds in that time. Kroenke owns the Rapids and their stadium right? I'm assuming he'd have to sell to make this happen, but Don Garber and MLS would be crazy not to plant a team in St. Louis. The Midwest is sorely lacking MLS squads.
Image

Official 2013-2014 Sponsor Extraordinaire of Alex "Petro" Pietrangelo
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5853
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: I'm getting twitchy!!!

Postby Shanahan19 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:58 pm

KC and Chicago lobby hard for MLS in Saint Louis for the natural rivalries. Said several times a season, Saint Louis would be the only city that could roster an entire team of hometown players currently in the league.

Kroenke is now owner of Union Station and the overhaul that is involved at that site. Plans even call for a soccer stadium anchored on the southern portion. So on one street STL could house MLS, NHL, and MLB. All plans, all off in the future, etc, etc.

Ideally, the open air, soccer specific stadium in downtown is the place. Fenton/suburbs #2. No chance in St. Charles or IL. No draw in traveling there for the vast majority of STL. It's why there is virtually no threat when the Rams or when the Cardinals brought those possibilities for new stadiums.

While not big, there have even been rumblings of Denver not working out.

Not sure the legalisms, but AC St Louis and that logo needs to be the MLS one when we get a team.
"Shanahan beating up on a Winnipeg player..." - Ken Wilson April 14, 1994
User avatar
Shanahan19
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:26 pm
Location: Wildwood, Missouri

Re: I'm getting twitchy!!!

Postby dmiles2186 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:55 am

Shanahan19 wrote:Kroenke is now owner of Union Station and the overhaul that is involved at that site. Plans even call for a soccer stadium anchored on the southern portion. So on one street STL could house MLS, NHL, and MLB. All plans, all off in the future, etc, etc.


I have heard about this and have seen some renderings of the proposed overhaul. They need to do something with Union Station, for sure. It used to be a nice spot to visit when downtown, but it's gone way downhill. If they put a stadium down there, coupled w/ the 'Trade and Busch all on one street, you'd have quite the sports destination.

I agree about the AC STL logo. I loved the yellow/green colors, which would be unique to MLS. At the very least, I wish they'd get a team back in the NASL so they could start taking root. You look at all the Pacific Northwest teams, Montreal, etc. that had roots in the D2 level before making the jump. I know St. Louis has a supporters group--The St. Louligans--that follow the St. Louis Lions and encourage other soccer fans to follow, but I live 2 hours away. It's hard to follow a PDL team. When AC STL was around, all of their games could be streamed online for free.

But I digress. I know Don Garber used to always bring St. Louis up for an MLS spot, but that's cooled off. All it will take is a stadium and a sound owner. If anyone in St. Louis steps up with that, the team will have a franchise.

(Also, I apologize for hijacking this thread and turning it into an MLS discussion. Honestly had no idea we had this many MLS fans here. :mrgreen:)
Image

Official 2013-2014 Sponsor Extraordinaire of Alex "Petro" Pietrangelo
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5853
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach


Return to St. Louis Blues Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], dmiles2186, gaijin, Google [Bot] and 2 guests