GDT #18: 2/28/13 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #18: 2/28/13 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

Yeah, it sucks that Amac and Senko are out, but time to nut up and end this streak. Kudos to the Hawks for their start, but the Blues have the ability to put and end to this thing, even with those two out.
BLACKHAWKS (16-0-3) at BLUES (10-6-2)

TV: CSN-CH, FS-MW

Last 10: Chicago 9-0-1; Blues 4-4-2

Season series: The Chicago Blackhawks won their previous meeting with the St. Louis Blues, a 3-2 victory at United Center on Jan. 22.

Big story: The Blackhawks have already proven their bonafides on the road this season having survived playing 10 of their first 12 games away from United Center without suffering a regulation loss. But after wrapping up a seven-game homestand, it's time for Chicago to put the best start in NHL history on the line again when they travel to face off with the division-rival Blues.

Team scope:

Blackhawks: As the season nears its halfway point, the Blackhawks remain without a regulation loss and sit comfortably atop the NHL standings. The Blackhawks are 16-0-3, they have 35 points in the standings while no other team has 30, their League-best plus-24 goal differential is nine goals better than the next-best (Pittsburgh Penguins), and with an 8-0-1 mark at home and 8-0-2 on the road, Chicago has been remarkably balanced.

That balance might pour water on the idea that the Blackhawks' start has been goosed by their recent homestand, which ended Monday night when Marian Hossa whacked the puck past Edmonton Oilers goalie Nikolai Khabibulin for a 3-2 overtime win, but it will be tested nonetheless Thursday night when Chicago plays its first road game in two-and-a-half weeks. The Blackhawks will be back at the United Center on Friday night, but they will be on the road more often than not over the next month, meaning the travel and sheer probability could put an end to their impressive run sooner rather than later.

Blues: St. Louis did manage to top the Columbus Blue Jackets on Saturday, nipping a two-game losing streak in the bud, but the Blues will have some considerable obstacles Thursday night beyond simply the competition. For one, St. Louis might be a tad rusty: The Blues will be playing for the first time in five days, which is the longest break they've had between games. The more pressing concern, however, is that while most teams might use long periods off to rest and get healthy, this stretch seems to have done the opposite.

The Blues were already without rookie Vladimir Tarasenko, who was placed on injured reserve with a concussion last week, but the injury load got heavier Tuesday when both Andy McDonald and Alex Steen were hurt during a practice drill.

Steen's ailment, an upper-body injury, has him day-to-day, but McDonald injured his left knee and could be out longer. With St. Louis jockeying for position in the predictably tight Western Conference, the sooner all three players are back the better.

Who's hot: Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane has cooled off somewhat, but the phrase "cooled off" is relative. Kane has a goal and two assists in his past four games. ... Blues goalie Jaroslav Halak has been solid in two starts since returning from injury, going 1-0-1 with 38 saves facing 40 shots.

Injury report: Steen is considered questionable. McDonald (left knee) and Tarasenko (concussion) are on IR. … David Bolland (upper body) is out for Chicago.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT #18: 2/28/13 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Excited but not
:goblues:

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

No McDonald, Steen, or Tarasenko? Sure, we can beat the Hawks. :?

Stranger things have happened.

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I have an unusually optimistic feeling about this game--defense gets it done, Halak stands on his head when necessary..

Blues 3 (Pie, Stew, Backes (en))
Hawks 1 (20 shots)
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

That (Franking) barn better be full of BLUES fans tonight.

(Frank) the hawks!

Blues win through physical domination, reaver kills two hawks, the gets a hatty!
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

We need to play a physical and fundamentally sound game on defense, and a gritty, grinding game in the offensive corners. Don't try for the pretty play on even strength tonight, just take the simple one every time. Keep possession in their zone long enough to tire them out and draw penalties, capitalize on the PP. If we win this game, It will be because of our Power Play.

I'm not particularly optimistic, but still looking forward to tonight's game. I've still got a bad taste in my mouth from the last time we played them. We outplayed them 2/3rds of the game, but the shitty 1st period bit us in the ass and we just barely weren't able to pull even. Hopefully the barn is filled tonight, The Blues definitely feed off of lively home crowds. If we are able to pull 2 points out the game I will be more than satisfied. If we beat them in regulation I will be ecstatic.

Berglund x2
Hossa, Seabrook

Hawks SO win.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

Steen is still a possibility to play tonight. That being said it is going to take a full blown effort to make it a game. We realistically need 3 out of 4 points on this little two game home stand before going on the road.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Looking for a Thursday Night Miracle

Blues 1
Hawks 0

Goal by...who cares, just score!
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Time to lay the smackdown on all the Blackhawks candy asses.
Blues 4
Hawks 1
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I (Franking) hate the Blackhawks.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Hitch says no Steen tonight. Maybe tomorrow or Sunday.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Lebrun took the notes, in regulation.
I'm changing my guess to a loss :(

NOT!
(Frank) espn
Lets to blues!!!

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

So question:

Tarasenko, Steen and McDonald out.

Porter, Cracknell and Murray called up.

Were all three called up to suit up or is someone of the group a healthy scratch? Wasn't D'Agostini a healthy scratch more often than not? I'd rather have him out there than any of these three. So what's the lines look like for tonight? Keeping Reaves-Nichol-Schwartz together? This is frustrating :x :lol:

I'm feeling good about tonight. Not sure why.

Blues 3
Hawks 2

Goes down to the last second. Schwartz and Pietrangelo both score tonight.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Beating the Hawks today would be a huge step towards being a confident, cup-contending team. Not saying that not winning would be a clear indication the other way, but winning against these sorts of odds is what durable, gritty, persistent winning teams are made of.

F U C K the hawks, let's ruin their little parade.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Dear fans of the St. Louis Blues:

You care a lot more about the result of this game than we do.

Sincerely,
The St. Louis Blues
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Dear fans of the St. Louis Blues:

You care a lot more about the result of this game than we do.

Sincerely,
The St. Louis Blues
you mean the 5k blues fans in attendance?

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

So zero effort, zero chances, and the Hawks fans take over the building again.

Yeah, totally give Hitch a ten-year extension. IT'S A NEW ERA!

This team isn't doing squat this year, and it's time to be sellers at the trade deadline. TJ Oshie, you're next on the Erik Johnson Memorial Your-Reputation-Is-Worth-Way-More-Than-Your-Play Trading Block!
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:So zero effort, zero chances, and the Hawks fans take over the building again.

Yeah, totally give Hitch a ten-year extension. IT'S A NEW ERA!

This team isn't doing squat this year, and it's time to be sellers at the trade deadline. TJ Oshie, you're next on the Erik Johnson Memorial Your-Reputation-Is-Worth-Way-More-Than-Your-Play Trading Block!
I agree to an extent. Just got home from that miserable experience. Had some hoosiers from Troy Mo (no offense) wanting to fight me because I was said the team had no heart and was playing with little or no effort. In hindisght, probably should've dropped the gloves, but thought better of it at the time. Don't know what the answer is, I'm kinda perplexed. Even with the three stars (?) out, I still think this team has plenty of offensive power. I truely believe the weakness is on the blue line. Pie looks lost out there (way too many turnovers/brain farts in the d zone), Cole looks like a guy in juniors (wants to play big, but yet not big enough to play phsyical and tough in the NHL) , Polak isn't playing phsyicalat all compared to last year, and Jackman just looks old (great play at the blueline) . Thats without saying Russell doesn't have a clue (how do you center the puck to the other team on more than one occasion?). If the Blues have a good season, Hitchcock is a miracle worker.

I remember back in the day, when this team had crap for skill, but had more heart and effort than any team. (Bassen, Sutter, Lowry) none of those guys had crap for talent, but they gave it everything.

Yeah, I might be drunk, and am extremely pissed, just wanted more this year.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

This team has NO offensive power whatsoever. We're living and dying by D and whoever is in goal. That 3-0 could easily have been 5 or 10 if not for the D and the Halak.

Healthy, those three weren't helping much to begin with (Tank tapered off big time), so losing them is a step down, but wouldn't have offered a better chance of getting a biscuit in the basket. Bottom line: We need to sign help. We need to pay money and acquire firepower. End of story. With 20m in capspace we can pick up an ACTUAL scorer and make something happen. The Kings picked up Brad Richards and for the insane amount of money they paid him, that was quite possibly the best investment they made. We need to do the same. Stillman needs to decide if he's running a team as a way to promote and sell hockey jerseys with names on it and various swag or if he's actually trying to win.

There is no solution in the minors to this, trading players for picks or any of that nonsense, we need help and we need it now. I agree with just about everyone, we have the team that can take it all the way BUT they need a few more solid, stable and reliable SCORING people to make it happen. This D plus that, we'll have a Cup.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Even with all of the injuries, I had a good feeling going into last night's game. I was confident the Blues would be fired up after their long layoff, especially with the Hawks in town.

That was not the case at all. Just a frustrating lack of fire in this team. It showed through during the 5 game losing streak, and it showed through last night. This team has the talent. They are pretty much returning everyone from last year and adding 'Senko and Schwartz full time. Why things haven't clicked at the level they did last year, I'm not sure. Obviously, injuries don't help, but all teams deal with injuries. The frustrating thing is that they all happened within a 5 day stretch for the Blues.

I hope to see a different team on the ice tonight against the Oilers. It seems like this team is just so much more up and down than they were last year.