GDT #20: 3/3/13 > Blues @ Stars > 2:00 PM > NHLN/FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Shanahan19
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Re: GDT #20: 3/3/13 > Blues @ Stars > 2:00 PM > NHLN/FSMW/KM

Post by Shanahan19 »

Alfie is not in his prime and Spezza is out. Along with an all-star young defenseman (who may never return to form) and their starting goalie. The Blues cry about a missed call days after it occurs. Ottawa punches its way through.

Alfie is a very good captain. The very definition of a leader in a class like Sundin, Yzerman, Stevens.

Backes isn't a captain.
"Shanahan beating up on a Winnipeg player..." - Ken Wilson April 14, 1994

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Shanahan19 wrote:Alfie is a very good captain. The very definition of a leader in a class like Sundin, Yzerman, Stevens.
Totally agree. Why I feel we can't compare the two teams because we flat out don't have someone like that that will take the lead and help contribute and carry the team.

The last two elites we had were from last year couldn't be looked at to score goals. Just something netminders almost never do.
Shanahan19 wrote:Backes isn't a captain.
What's funny is, considering he's popular in the locker room, I think the team would listen to Chris Stewart if he wore the C over Backes.

Now that in itself is scary.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

I really - really like David, but you're dead on and I knew it the minute he said he prefers to lead by example.

Both Backes and the captain before him Brewer were labeled 'quite leaders'. We were always told "they're not rah - rah guys, they chose to lead with their play on the ice, but when they do talk ....people listed".....or the old "they have the pulse of the locker room".......BS!

We need a vocal leader that will let these 'kids' know this isn't acceptable and help them realize they aren't going to blame the coach again. Someone has to get this group off their collective azz. And not just with 'fear', you need someone who will command their respect and motivate them through loyalty and responsibility instead of fear.

This is the same team that dominated last year (even considering the injuries)......but they aren't playing with the same passion.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Oaklandblue wrote:
Shanahan19 wrote:Alfie is a very good captain. The very definition of a leader in a class like Sundin, Yzerman, Stevens.
Totally agree. Why I feel we can't compare the two teams because we flat out don't have someone like that that will take the lead and help contribute and carry the team.

The last two elites we had were from last year couldn't be looked at to score goals. Just something netminders almost never do.
What's funny is, considering he's popular in the locker room, I think the team would listen to Chris Stewart if he wore the C over Backes.

Now that in itself is scary.
If the team is listening to Chris Stewart, no wonder there isn't any passion or heart on the ice, considering Stewart is the least defensively responsible forward on the team and never gets held to account for it - i.e. never gets put on the 4th line with reduced ice time for playing like a rookie.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Shanahan19
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Shanahan19 »

DaDitka wrote:
I really - really like David, but you're dead on and I knew it the minute he said he prefers to lead by example.

Both Backes and the captain before him Brewer were labeled 'quite leaders'. We were always told "they're not rah - rah guys, they chose to lead with their play on the ice, but when they do talk ....people listed".....or the old "they have the pulse of the locker room".......BS!

We need a vocal leader that will let these 'kids' know this isn't acceptable and help them realize they aren't going to blame the coach again. Someone has to get this group off their collective azz. And not just with 'fear', you need someone who will command their respect and motivate them through loyalty and responsibility instead of fear.

This is the same team that dominated last year (even considering the injuries)......but they aren't playing with the same passion.
Leading by example is def part of the job but those moments when the undoubted leader steps up and get his team to wake up, dig deeper, etc is what defines the captain. Yzerman was a quiet man, but he routinely stood in the Wings locker room and told them like it is. And that's how they won so much.

Growing up we had captains on our teams. Not all the time was it the best player but he could command the room and get guys to man up. We know it when we see it and many in Saint Louis are not seeing it right now. A 55 gallon drum of potential is being wasted right now.

I know Saint Louis hates it, but we have to look to Chicago, Detroit, New Jersey, etc to see how elite teams build, scout, lead, play, market, etc.
"Shanahan beating up on a Winnipeg player..." - Ken Wilson April 14, 1994