Realignment: Det/CBJ going East, WPG going West

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Realignment: Det/CBJ going East, WPG going West

Post by Winning Unlimited »

While the NHL has won a victory with the players association, an old battle has been rekindled.

The NHL Players Association approved the league's latest realignment proposal for next season Thursday with the provision that it be revisited after the 2014-2015 season.

The realignment, which has been discussed in some form since 2011, will be marked by the Winnipeg Jets moving to the Western Conference while the Detroit Red Wings and Columbus Blue Jackets switch to the East. Also, the number of divisions will be reduced from six to four.

Deputy commissioner Bill Daly said the next step would be a vote of the Board of Governors for final approval.

Under the proposed plan, the league would be divided into two eight-team Eastern Conferences and two seven-team Western Conferences.

In addition, the new plan calls for divisional playoffs rather than the conference playoff system currently in place. The division winner with the most regular-season points would play the lowest-seeded wild-card team in the first round, with the other division winner playing the other wild-card team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-roundu ... ref_map=[]

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Realignment: Det/CBJ going East, WPG going West

Post by gaijin »

Still don't like it. It's too gimmicky. 14 teams in the West, 16 in the East? Division rivals could play each other for the Cup?

Gimmicks.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

Western Conference
Pacific Division: Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose and Vancouver.

Mid-West Division: Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis and Winnipeg.

Eastern Conference
Central Division: Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Toronto.

Atlantic Division: Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, N.Y. Islanders, N.Y. Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington.
Ehh. While I'm going to miss the rivalries we've had agains Detroit I guess I'll get over it. Although it's always seemed like they never considered us a rivalry. Even games against Columbus were getting exciting recently, seemed we were building something over there...

I really hope they change the names of the divisions though.

But hey look at the bright side, we got a mathematically better chance of making the playoffs each year now! Maybe we can beat the last streak we had of making the playoffs and not doing shit.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Travel-wise, it's better for teams.
Two divisions in each conference is much better than three.
Glad the Blues are in the conference with fewer teams.
Wish Detroit wasn't going to the east, but whatever.
They should have contracted two teams to make each conference even, but whatever. They are just setting themselves up for expansion in the future.
The geographical naming is off. Boston and Florida shouldn't be in a division called the "Central". Just rename the divisions the Norris, Smythe, Adams & Patrick...and then put Toronto, Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, & St. Louis in the Norris. Screw the other divisions.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I think this is the best possible scenario for the Blues when it comes to realignment. You knew Detroit was going to the East, without question. That was never in doubt. The only thing that was slightly up in the air was whether it would be Columbus or Nashville moving to the East, but since Columbus is in the Eastern time zone, they get the call.

I really like our new division. Winnipeg and Minnesota have great fan bases, Colorado used to and is slowly building things back up. Dallas always bored me a bit, but that may change now that we're division rivals.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

dmiles2186 wrote:I think this is the best possible scenario for the Blues when it comes to realignment. You knew Detroit was going to the East, without question. That was never in doubt. The only thing that was slightly up in the air was whether it would be Columbus or Nashville moving to the East, but since Columbus is in the Eastern time zone, they get the call.

I really like our new division. Winnipeg and Minnesota have great fan bases, Colorado used to and is slowly building things back up. Dallas always bored me a bit, but that may change now that we're division rivals.
We had a rivalry with Dallas back in the day. I'm all in favor of being in the same division as Dallas, afterall, they are the old Minnesota North Stars.
Winnipeg also used to be in the Norris back in the day.
We had fiesty and entertaining games against Columbus quite often...but Columbus is a non factor. I don't see them as even having a team in 10 years. They'll move to KC and be back in our division. :lol:

You realize what this means right? This means we could face Detroit in the Stanley Cup Finals someday. :twisted:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

cprice12 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:I think this is the best possible scenario for the Blues when it comes to realignment. You knew Detroit was going to the East, without question. That was never in doubt. The only thing that was slightly up in the air was whether it would be Columbus or Nashville moving to the East, but since Columbus is in the Eastern time zone, they get the call.

We had a rivalry with Dallas back in the day. I'm all in favor of being in the same division as Dallas, afterall, they are the old Minnesota North Stars.
Winnipeg also used to be in the Norris back in the day.
We had fiesty and entertaining games against Columbus quite often...but Columbus is a non factor. I don't see them as even having a team in 10 years. They'll move to KC and be back in our division. :lol:

You realize what this means right? This means we could face Detroit in the Stanley Cup Finals someday. :twisted:
On what planet will the wangs be playing in the playoffs any time soon?

Lets to blues! Who gives a shit what division we are in!
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Detroit going over sucks as I've said before...it will be nice to get some old rivalry's back though.
Best of luck to JD and the BJ's in the East.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I don't like the reseeding, but divisional playoffs should be cool. Playing divisional teams in the playoffs every year should make for better rivalries.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Shanahan19
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Shanahan19 »

Wow Eastern Central! Four O-6 teams. Plus Ottawa. Easily the most entertaining division.

West looks kinda empty without Det. Jets are nice, but weak. More Wild games... :|

Should have just traded the Blue Jackets for the Jets.
"Shanahan beating up on a Winnipeg player..." - Ken Wilson April 14, 1994

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Not picking on you Curt, your post just happened to lay out several things I disagree with and is a reason I don't like the realignment :lol:
cprice12 wrote:Travel-wise, it's better for teams.
If you're not in the Eastern Conference "Central" Division. More specifically: if you're not named Tampa Bay or Florida.
Two divisions in each conference is much better than three.
I don't think that's obvious. At least with three divisions it's five teams each. Not this awkward numbers business.
Glad the Blues are in the conference with fewer teams.
Yup. Still unfair that, statistically speaking, Eastern Conference teams (and players) will have a lower chance of making the playoffs. Burns me.
Wish Detroit wasn't going to the east, but whatever.
Yea I think Detroit and Columbus being moved to the East was a huge reason the NHLPA approved the deal. Bettman will love having Detroit playing the Maple Leafs, Bruins and Canadiens all the time. Four of the "Original Six" in one division? That's his wet dream. Blatant gamesmanship to structure it that way but I'm not surprised.

They should have contracted two teams to make each conference even, but whatever. They are just setting themselves up for expansion in the future.
Can the NHL even support two more teams? If so, where? I'm honestly asking haha. Quebec and Hamilton? idonno

Not that I should be surprised but it's all about the money. F*ck Tampa Bay, F*ck Florida, we need to have our precious "Original Six" formula stuck with and force-feed the matchups we want to see happen; namely Pitt-Washington and the East Coast, then the aforementioned "Original Six" set up. Whatever
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

cprice12 wrote: You realize what this means right? This means we could face Detroit in the Stanley Cup Finals someday. :twisted:
There is a new playoff structure where teams are reseeded in the third round now. So, two Western teams can play in the Finals now.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Alignment approved. We have less than a month as division rivals to Detroit and Columbus.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=660138&cmpid=nhl-twt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The NHL's Board of Governors approved the realignment plan proposed last week.

The new four-division plan, featuring a new-look set-up for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, will go into effect next season.

The NHL and NHLPA each had input into the plan to realign the League into an more geographically appropriate two-conference, four-division format that features 16 teams in the Eastern Conference and 14 teams in the Western Conference.

The Detroit Red Wings and Columbus Blue Jackets are moving to the Eastern Conference to provide them the ability to play the majority of their games against teams in the same time zone. The Winnipeg Jets are moving to the Western Conference for the same reason.

The Dallas Stars are staying in the Western Conference, but moving into a division that includes five other teams from the Central time zone.

The Stanley Cup Playoffs will still consist of 16 teams, eight in each conference, but it will be division-based and a wild-card system has been added as a new wrinkle.

The top three teams in each division will make-up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season points and regardless of division. It will be possible, then, for one division to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends three.

The seeding of the wild-card teams within each divisional playoff will be determined on the basis of regular-season points. The division winner with the most points in the conference will be matched against the wild-card team with the lowest number of points; the division winner with the second-most points in the conference will play the wild-card team with the second fewest points.

The teams finishing second and third in each division will play in the first round of the playoffs. The winners of each series will play for berths in the Conference Championship series.

The two divisional champions in each conference will then play in the conference finals to advance to the Stanley Cup Final.

The divisions will be temporarily referred to as Division A, Division B, Division C and Division D. Permanent names will be assigned later.

The Western Conference will house Division A and Division B, while Division C and D will consist of eight teams each and make up the Eastern Conference.

Division A is the Anaheim Ducks, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings, Phoenix Coyotes, San Jose Sharks and Vancouver Canucks.

Division B features the Chicago Blackhawks, Colorado Avalanche, Dallas Stars, Minnesota Wild, Nashville Predators, St. Louis Blues and Winnipeg Jets.

Division C has four Original Six franchises: Boston Bruins, Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs. The Buffalo Sabres, Florida Panthers, Ottawa Senators and Tampa Bay Lightning are also in the division.

The Columbus Blue Jackets, Carolina Hurricanes and Washington Capitals will join the New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers and Pittsburgh Penguins in Division D.

The new alignment ensures that all 30 teams play in all 30 arenas at least once per season.

The National Hockey League Players' Association has given its consent to play under the new Alignment and Playoff System for a minimum of three seasons, through the 2015-16 NHL season.
The new alignment:

2013-14 realignment plan
Here is a breakdown of the new schedule matrix created for the new alignment plan:

Western Conference (7-team divisions)

Within Conference (Division): 29 games

* 5 games vs. five teams (3 Home/2 Away vs. two teams, 2 Home/3 Away vs. three teams) AND 4 games vs. one team (2 Home/2 Away). Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 5 X 5 =25 games

* 1 X 4 = 4 games

Within Conference (Non-Division): 21 games

* 3 games vs. each team (2 Home/1 Away vs. four teams, 1 Home/2 Away vs. three teams). Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 3 X 7 = 21 games

Non-Conference: 32 games

* 2 games vs. each team (1 Home/1 Away)

* 2 X 16 = 32 games

(Exception: one team from each division plays one less game inside Division and one more game inside Conference outside Division)

Eastern Conference (8-team divisions)

Within Conference (Division): 30 games

* 5 games vs. two teams (3 Home/2 Away vs. one team, 2 Home/3 Away vs. one team) AND 4 games vs. five teams (2 Home/2 Away). Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 5 X 2 =10 games

* 4 X 5 = 20 games

Within Conference (Non-Division): 24 games

* 3 games vs. each team (2 Home/1 Away vs. four teams, 1 Home/2 Away vs. four teams). Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 3 X 8 = 24 games

Non-Conference: 28 games

* 2 games vs. each team (1 Home/1 Away)

* 2 X 14 = 28 games

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Who cares. Lets win the cup!
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

sseagle wrote:Who cares. Lets win the cup!
Well there you go. :okman:

So let me get this straight- both Divisions in each Conference could send 4 teams to the playoffs, or one division could send only 3 and the other could send 5. If the first 2 rounds are within the Division, does one of the teams have to play in the other Division's divisional playoffs? For example, if 'Division A' has 3 teams in the playoffs, and 'Division B' has 5 teams, does one of the Division B teams have to play in Division A's bracket for the first 2 rounds? :?

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

So in so many words, Gary Bettman is going back to how we were doing things back when he started as commissioner? Talk about Epic Fail. Some highlights in his tenure:

* Changes the divisions to the current format.

* Moves the Jets and Nordiques, establishing the Yotes and Avs

* Re-establishes Atlanta and Nashville.

* Votes against profit sharing among teams.

* Yotes fail financially and are taken over by the NHL and are trapped in Glendale in a legal tangle worthy of being called 'spaghetti'

* Atlanta fails and are quickly moved to Winnipeg, leaving a fanbase (even if it's a small one, the image is unforgivable) that's had 2 NHL teams moved out of its city.

* Changes the divisions back into what resembles the original divisions.

* Have had not one, not two but THREE lockouts in his tenure with a fourth that was the catalyst to him becoming comissioner.

Seriously, why does this guy still have a job?

Oh, I see why. From Wikipedia:

The owners hired Bettman with the mandate of selling the game in the U.S. market, ending labor unrest, completing expansion plans, and modernizing the views of the "old guard" within the ownership ranks
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

gaijin wrote:
sseagle wrote:Who cares. Lets win the cup!
Well there you go. :okman:

So let me get this straight- both Divisions in each Conference could send 4 teams to the playoffs, or one division could send only 3 and the other could send 5. If the first 2 rounds are within the Division, does one of the teams have to play in the other Division's divisional playoffs? For example, if 'Division A' has 3 teams in the playoffs, and 'Division B' has 5 teams, does one of the Division B teams have to play in Division A's bracket for the first 2 rounds? :?
Division winners each get a wildcard team regardless of division. Since Round 2 is based on winners of 2 vs 3 and 1 vs wildcards and both wildcard teams can come from the same division, yes, if Division B sends 5 teams, one of the wildcard teams from Division B will play in Division A's bracket for the first two rounds. So there is the possibility of having a Conference Championship with two teams from the same Division.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

They still screwed up the East with not putting the Lightning and Panthers in the same division as Carolina and Washington.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.