GDT #23: 3/9/13 > Blues @ Sharks > 3:00 PM > NHLN/FS-MW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

GDT #23: 3/9/13 > Blues @ Sharks > 3:00 PM > NHLN/FS-MW/KMOX

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

Sorry for the early morning post, haven't seen a Blues game live in a while & I'm pumped.
BLUES (12-9-2) at SHARKS (11-7-4)

TV: NHLN-US, FS-MW, CSN-CA

Last 10: St. Louis 5-4-1; San Jose 4-4-2

Season series: This will be the second meeting of a three-game series between the Blues and Sharks. In their first matchup, San Jose prevailed 2-1 on Feb. 19 thanks to Tim Kennedy's third-period tally.

Big story: The Blues are 1-2 so far on their five-game road trip that started in Dallas and ends in Anaheim on Sunday. Meanwhile, the Sharks just returned from a two-game trip through Western Canada in which they suffered two losses.

Team Scope:

Blues: The Blues erupted in the second period of Thursday's game against the Coyotes, scoring three goals in a 4:47 span for a 6-3 victory. The line combination of David Perron, Patrik Berglund and Chris Stewart combined for a total of nine points.

"The Berglund line was outstanding. They really have a good thing going and hopefully that continues," Hitchcock said. "We were an opportunistic team tonight. We still have a ways to go, but it was good to see us get rewarded."

The Blues' success against the Coyotes came on the tail-end of a frustrating loss to the Kings on Tuesday night in which they allowed four unanswered goals in the third period to fall 6-4.

Sharks: The Sharks are 2-6-1 in their last nine games and have scored more than two goals in regulation just once in their last 17 games. Additionally, the Sharks will need to improve on the power play to turn the tide, considering they 3-for-42 in their last 10 games and were unable to capitalize on four power-play chances against Calgary on Wednesday.

"We're disappointed," coach Todd McLellan said. "We had an opportunity to win a game going into the third period and we didn't play very well.”

Who's hot: Berglund notched a pair of goals in his last outing and has 14 points in 23 games this season.

Injury report: The Blues are without Alexander Steen, who is on injured reserve with an upper body injury. Andy McDonald (knee) and Vladimir Tarasenko (head) are also out … The Sharks are without right wing Martin Havlat (lower body) and defenseman Brent Burns (undisclosed) who are both listed as day-to-day
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT #23: 3/9/13 > Blues @ Sharks > 3:00 PM > NHLN/FS-MW/

Post by sseagle »

i sense a disturbance in the force

hawks lost

blues streaking

until a oddball gdt gets posted...
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Either they go nuts and win 6-2 or they play like shit and lose 6-2.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Shanahan19
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Shanahan19 »

Sharks continue dying.

Note - 4
Sharks - 0
"Shanahan beating up on a Winnipeg player..." - Ken Wilson April 14, 1994

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

So far not so good.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

gaijin wrote:So far not so good.
... and now I take it back. :oops:

Way to go, Vladi! :okman:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

14 goals in the last 3 games. If that's what they have to do then so be it. We may have seen the end of All-Defense Ken Hitchcock teams.

Also, I'd like to amend something I said once before... Pie and Shatty aren't the only two guys they need to lock up long term. Boat too. Even without the hatty, he plays with more heart than the rest of the team combined. Not only should be be locked up, he should be awarded the C.

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

glen a richter wrote:14 goals in the last 3 games. If that's what they have to do then so be it. We may have seen the end of All-Defense Ken Hitchcock teams.

Also, I'd like to amend something I said once before... Pie and Shatty aren't the only two guys they need to lock up long term. Boat too. Even without the hatty, he plays with more heart than the rest of the team combined. Not only should be be locked up, he should be awarded the C.
I'd hand him an A.
If you had Sobi's motor and heart with Stewart's physical ability you'd have an unstoppable force. The rest of the team should be kissing his boots right about now. Good win, especially after I was fuming about Mizzou pissing the bed again.

KCFederko
Prospect
Prospect

Post by KCFederko »

glen a richter wrote: We may have seen the end of All-Defense Ken Hitchcock teams..

Not sure I would go that far.

The Blues still lead the league in fewest shots allowed per game and outshot the Sharks 35-25 today.

Just seems different when 1 of every 5 shots isn't going in the net lol

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Couldn't be happier for Sobotka. He's been on fire lately, good for him hope it keeps going. That snipe he had (I think it was his second goal) was SICK. That was an Evgeni Malkin-type shot right there, man oh man.

More importantly, though, this was a huge win that good teams need to have. If the Blues are going to contenders and not pretenders you need to have games like this: finding a way to win. Sobotka didn't do it by himself, there was great play from this team and not just rolling over in the 3rd period down by 2. Good teams win these types of games and glad to see the Blues doing it instead of it happening to us as it normally does.

:okman:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

The best part of the last two games is that after the Blues gave up multiple unanswered goals, they dug down and fought back. Sobotka is a beast and it's great to see him rewarded with the hat trick today. I keep saying this, and it may just be me feeling good vibes after wins, but the team seems to play differently in front of Allen. That or he just seems so confident in net that he's making the D look better. There are still too many scrums in front of the net that result in scoring chances, but other than the Gomez goal, Allen didn't let those bite him.

2 more points against a team that's battling a playoff spot. Sure, they got 1, but we can't worry about that. Ducks tomorrow, will be a tough game, but we've got back to back wins under our belt so hopefully that eases the pressure and they can just go out and play their game.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

dmiles2186 wrote:I keep saying this, and it may just be me feeling good vibes after wins, but the team seems to play differently in front of Allen. That or he just seems so confident in net that he's making the D look better.
I agree, but the thought isn't shared by some others on the site :lol: . It's like they're pulling for "the kid" and play together as a whole. Idk, what I've seen when Allen is in net has been fun to watch, hope it keeps going & we start to get and stay healthy.

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

A bit off topic, but the pun titles for the highlight clips on NHL.com are awful. "ON A SOBOT," "TIP OF THE BERG," "JUICY COUTURE" just on the Blues highlight alone :facepalm: . Way too cute for hockey IMO.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Justice was served. The Blues were easily the better team this game, and dominated at times.
Huge win.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

It's great to see this team fighting to adversity and battling back, however if your D makes that many mistakes you're going to loose more often then not.

As a whole we were the better team, but that D is still having too many mental lapses. It's not even like I can single out a guy or two. Jacks got walked around on one play, Pie looked lost on another, Russel with another ill advised pass and whiffed on a chance to clear.

We've got to clean that up boys.

I can almost live with the odd man rushes when the D get's caught pinching, but the mistakes in your own end are inexcusable and often lead to a 'L'.

We were the better team and it still took a goalie off his game to get us a point because of our issues in our own end (not just defensmen either, one goal was the result of no effort by Dags when he could have easily cleared the puck).

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

Glad to see Sobotka getting rewarded for his constant effort. If I didn't detest our current jerseys I would've bought his jersey seasons ago. Give him an A, he definitely deserves it.

That said, we really didn't have many quality chances and got lucky that their goalie wasn't quite at his best last night. I agree with ditka on his point about mental lapses in our own end, that has to stop and you almost never saw that last year. I'll still take the 2 points though.

The real test is tonight against the Ducks, If we walk away from that with 2 points I will be more than pleased.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Kreegz2 wrote:Glad to see Sobotka getting rewarded for his constant effort. If I didn't detest our current jerseys I would've bought his jersey seasons ago. Give him an A, he definitely deserves it.

That said, we really didn't have many quality chances and got lucky that their goalie wasn't quite at his best last night. I agree with ditka on his point about mental lapses in our own end, that has to stop and you almost never saw that last year. I'll still take the 2 points though.

The real test is tonight against the Ducks, If we walk away from that with 2 points I will be more than pleased.
Would you prefer the Keenan era sweaters? That's a clown jersey, bro!

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

glen a richter wrote:
Kreegz2 wrote:Glad to see Sobotka getting rewarded for his constant effort. If I didn't detest our current jerseys I would've bought his jersey seasons ago. Give him an A, he definitely deserves it.

I actually own 3 of them: Twist, Hull, and Conroy. My dislike for the current sweaters stems from the ridiculous yellow piping, the "horns" and the lack of a waist stripe. In my opinion, we just need to go back to the '98-'07 sweaters and the league needs to reverse it's terrible decision to wear the colored jerseys at home.

At least the Blues organization has always been smart enough not to (Frank) with the Bluenote much. Any major change to it would throw me into a rage. I actually like the current bluenote the most out of all that they have had.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Kreegz2 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:

I actually own 3 of them: Twist, Hull, and Conroy. My dislike for the current sweaters stems from the ridiculous yellow piping, the "horns" and the lack of a waist stripe. In my opinion, we just need to go back to the '98-'07 sweaters and the league needs to reverse it's terrible decision to wear the colored jerseys at home.
Couldn't agree more on the jerseys. I don't mean to hijack this and make it a jersey thread (maybe we should start one of those), but I really think we need to drop the piping and bring back a horizontal waste stripe. There are several teams who started off with the piping after the RBK Edge jerseys were introduced, but after a year or two, reverted to the waste stripe that most teams have. I hope we see a change back to those sometime soon.

I don't know if I'd go back to the '98-'07 jerseys. I do love those, but it would be nice to change it up just a bit.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I also have a clown jersey, unnumbered. But I'm hardly a fan of it.

ATM I'm in the market for a third but I'm not really keen on spending the money. I've wanted one since they came out with it. Maybe it's time.