Done with the Negatives

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Done with the Negatives

Post by Oaklandblue »

Now, I know we all come on here and generally complain that X is worthless, trade them, Y sucks, bench them, why won't they start Z in goal instead of L, so on and so forth. So let's tact this at a difference angle: What are our strengths?

If we sucked as hard as some people claim, we'd be at the bottom of the standings, no matter how hard we played or how highly/optimistically we thought of our team, so we are at least doing some things right, so what are they?

And please, don't say winning ;)
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Done with the Negatives

Post by dmiles2186 »

Depth has been a strong suit the last two seasons. When we have everyone healthy, we're rolling a lineup as deep as any in the league. We have 4 lines who have the ability to score and Hitch will use his 4th line deep into the 3rd period if need be.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

We have a towel guy, an intermission whore and a powerplay dance.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Coming into this season I would have said goaltending, defense and dedication to hard work.

But since that isn't the case anymore. Goaltending has been poor...and even Allen's numbers aren't great, but he's putting up W's...so all is well that ends well there, but it's not a strength right now.
Defense has been inconsistent.
And lack of consistent hard work is probably the #1 problem right now.

Our PK is looking pretty good. I'd call that a strength.
We have very nice offensive depth when healthy.

I wish I could say the power play, but that hasn't been a real strength for the last 10 games.

Here we go...
We have one of the best logos in the league. FTW. 8)
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

We have, bar none, the most GLBT-friendly announcing crew on teh FSN-MW, not that there's anything wrong with that.

How many other teams can boast a hall-of-fame former player inside the glass for home games, who can sell cabinets, countertops, mortgages, fact-check said announcing crew, and drink Busch Light, all with equal effectiveness.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

Itchty Meat Hammer
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Itchty Meat Hammer »

HITE! I'd be alllllrigghhhhtt if Pang stuck around. Him + the radio crew (Kerber & Chase) would be very fun to listen to.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Listening to some of the other announcers on center ice, I'm content with our team. They say some absurd things from time to time, but it beats the hell out of getting stuck with the San Jose feed, or the Phoenix feed good lord that was horrendous.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

glen a richter wrote:Listening to some of the other announcers on center ice, I'm content with our team. They say some absurd things from time to time, but it beats the hell out of getting stuck with the San Jose feed, or the Phoenix feed good lord that was horrendous.
The San Jose guys and the Vancouver guys are without a doubt the worst announcers in the league. Their bilnd stupidity towards the game baffles my mind. I would literally rather watch the game muted while listening to Nickleback turned up to 11 than listen to those two teams PBP guys.

We just need to get Wilson/Micheletti back.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Kreegz2 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Listening to some of the other announcers on center ice, I'm content with our team. They say some absurd things from time to time, but it beats the hell out of getting stuck with the San Jose feed, or the Phoenix feed good lord that was horrendous.
The San Jose guys and the Vancouver guys are without a doubt the worst announcers in the league. Their bilnd stupidity towards the game baffles my mind. I would literally rather watch the game muted while listening to Nickleback turned up to 11 than listen to those two teams PBP guys.

We just need to get Wilson/Micheletti back.
Can't stand listening to Vancouver games.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

dmiles2186 wrote:Depth has been a strong suit the last two seasons. When we have everyone healthy, we're rolling a lineup as deep as any in the league. We have 4 lines who have the ability to score and Hitch will use his 4th line deep into the 3rd period if need be.
My first thought as well. Some teams, if you take out their top 2-3 offensive players, they're f**ked. Blues just bump everyone up a notch.

PP was looking really good earlier but I haven't seen many games lately and according to Curt it's not looking so hot right now and I can't argue one way or the other. And we do have some guys, night in and night out that work their butts off no matter what: Oshie and Sobotka being the poster-children. I agree with Curt that when we work hard and keep cool heads we're damn near unstoppable.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Shanahan19
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Shanahan19 »

Depth is a plus.

Youth is a plus.

FSN brunette is a plus.

We have lots of tools and weapons, just need it to mold together.
"Shanahan beating up on a Winnipeg player..." - Ken Wilson April 14, 1994

KCFederko
Prospect
Prospect

Post by KCFederko »

The ONLY thing this team has lacked all season long it solid play in goal.

Many whined and cried about Allen being given a chance in goal, but all the kid has done is go 7-1.

Some still complain that his 2.33 GAA avg and .915 GAA isnt good enough, but it is good enough to rank in the top half of the league and way better than what Halak and Elliott have provided.

I predict that Allen gets the majority of starts from here on out and Blues hold onto the #4 spot in the West and are at home for the 1st round of the playoffs.

This team is still really, really solid.

The only place of concern I can see is at Left D.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

KCFederko wrote:The ONLY thing this team has lacked all season long it solid play in goal.

Many whined and cried about Allen being given a chance in goal, but all the kid has done is go 7-1.

Some still complain that his 2.33 GAA avg and .915 GAA isnt good enough, but it is good enough to rank in the top half of the league and way better than what Halak and Elliott have provided.

I predict that Allen gets the majority of starts from here on out and Blues hold onto the #4 spot in the West and are at home for the 1st round of the playoffs.

This team is still really, really solid.

The only place of concern I can see is at Left D.
I'm not sure it's the only issue we had, but it certainly compounded the fact we weren't playing a full 60.

I don't think most people were angry that Allen got a shot. I just think it came as a surprise. He is certainly playing well enough to justify the decision though. I also think that if he was 2.33/.915 when he was called up, people wouldn't have been as surprised.

It's a little early to call this as a lot could change, but each progressive game it is starting to look more and more like he is the new number 1. That could change really quickly, but it wouldn't shock me if this ends up being the start of Allen's "reign" as our permanent number one.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

On this team, the GAA is very, very deceptive. You got a lot of games where we've allowed <20 shots on goal, a true testament to the success of Hitch's D-First style. A netminder that lets even one in, is going to have their GAA drop. If you're allowing 2 goals a game, your GAA is going to be under .900.

I think we're better off looking at it from win/loss and effort than anything else. Allen goes after the impossible shots on goal, he doesn't give them up unless he can't do anything in his power to stop them, but at least he tries and there's the difference that a lot of the team needs to embrace since when we try and play, we generally win. It's not an issue of effort but desire. Allen plays hungry. I love it. That is a positive role model there. And it's evidently contagious because when he's in goal, the team plays hungry. Everyone looks better.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!