Lets fire erryone and hire a gigantic asshole!!

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Lets fire erryone and hire a gigantic asshole!!

Postby sseagle » Wed May 29, 2013 12:25 pm

Torts is awailable!!!
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Image
User avatar
sseagle
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2115
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:03 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Lets fire erryone and hire a gigantic asshole!!

Postby STLADOGG » Wed May 29, 2013 12:28 pm

:aaaa:
Interesting.
Image
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW
User avatar
STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2241
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:41 pm
Location: -Saint Freaking Louis-

Re: Lets fire erryone and hire a gigantic asshole!!

Postby dmiles2186 » Wed May 29, 2013 1:24 pm

I support this only because I would think the Torts would have an extra special way at shouting down Andy Strickland when he asks him idiotic questions.
Image
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5988
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: Lets fire erryone and hire a gigantic asshole!!

Postby kodos » Wed May 29, 2013 1:32 pm

It would certainly be different for him.

I can see the post-game press conference after the Blues lose in the first round again next year.

Torts, after this loss, we want to know... who do you think is dreamier... the rugged manliness of Backes or the Boyish charm of Oshie?

Torts, you lost the series, again... still good job. Who do you think deserves the "thumbs-up, super cool dude nice effort award" for the series? You can only give it to 12 guys, so think hard.

Torts, what was the better play, that amazing pass Shattenkirk made in the game they lost 3 to 2, or that amazing end-to-end goal by Perron in the game they lost 4 to 2?

Torts... what is your favorite color?
Image
User avatar
kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 11893
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:05 pm

Re: Lets fire erryone and hire a gigantic asshole!!

Postby Nyghtewynd » Wed May 29, 2013 2:13 pm

So you're saying that the presser would pretty much sound like the normal ones in St. Louis?
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.


Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.
User avatar
Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
 
Posts: 4505
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:41 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Lets fire erryone and hire a gigantic asshole!!

Postby Oaklandblue » Thu May 30, 2013 12:19 am

I didn't know Mike Keenan had a kid.
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: Lets fire erryone and hire a gigantic asshole!!

Postby glen a richter » Thu May 30, 2013 2:46 pm

Hitchcock to Torts would be a parallel move. We need a coach who encourages an offensive approach. Our D is strong enough to pick up the slack. I would not be against Vigneault if they were to make a coaching change, which is something obviously not on the horizon. Plus, Vig will be the next coach of the Rags, mark it down.
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7260
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Lets fire erryone and hire a gigantic asshole!!

Postby cardsfan04 » Thu May 30, 2013 5:43 pm

Firing Hitch in favor of Torts would be the ultimate (Frank) you on the way out the door.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
cardsfan04
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2378
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am

Re: Lets fire erryone and hire a gigantic asshole!!

Postby Oaklandblue » Thu May 30, 2013 8:36 pm

Hold on, let me get this straight:

We're talking about firing Hitch who brought in a top drawer D system because the front office has been too cheap to hire elite forwards to hire Torts who had elite forwards up the wazoo, a top drawer goalie and D corps with the result of getting blown out?
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: Lets fire erryone and hire a gigantic asshole!!

Postby bluenotekidd » Fri May 31, 2013 10:21 am

Sorry, we don't need Mike Keenan part deux coaching this team.
Image

Official LGB Sponsor of EVERYTHING MACINNIS
User avatar
bluenotekidd
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1340
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:10 am
Location: Joplin, Missouri

Re: Lets fire erryone and hire a gigantic asshole!!

Postby STLADOGG » Fri May 31, 2013 12:26 pm

I could see Vigneault and Totrorella swapping places in Vancouver and New York.
Image
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW
User avatar
STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2241
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:41 pm
Location: -Saint Freaking Louis-

Re: Lets fire erryone and hire a gigantic asshole!!

Postby glen a richter » Fri May 31, 2013 3:53 pm

Word is the Rags are considering Messier. Oh please, make it so. He'd be a disaster as a head coach. Nostalgic decisions don't necessarily lead to championship caliber teams, and frankly I'd love to see the Rags miss the playoffs a few seasons in a row. If nothing else, it would ensure Hank Lundqvist decides to test the free agent waters and maybe Army can snag him up on a sweet deal.
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7260
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Lets fire erryone and hire a gigantic asshole!!

Postby Oaklandblue » Fri May 31, 2013 9:10 pm

What's funny is, if he was available, I truly believe we'd try and sign him, considering we have a half dozen netminders already (didn't we just sign two more in the last month or two?) and really just. need. offense. Seriously. Scorer. Sign. A scorer. Please.

Messier hasn't paid his dues as a coach. Much as I don't like Roy's personal temperment, he paid his dues and showed he can coach success at the lower levels, so giving him a shot in Colorado is worth it; he earned it.

Messier...yeah, that's a disaster. Rangers need to sign him before they give it a second thought :)
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: Lets fire erryone and hire a gigantic asshole!!

Postby glen a richter » Fri May 31, 2013 9:22 pm

While I'd love them to get a scorer, obviously, the bottom line is Lundqvist can and will steal games. That's more than we can say for Halak or Elliott. I'd be all about signing Lundqvist and hoping guys like Jaskin, Rattie, Tarasenko and Schwartz can provide the offense needed to compete in the postseason.
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7260
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Lets fire erryone and hire a gigantic asshole!!

Postby Oaklandblue » Fri May 31, 2013 9:43 pm

glen a richter wrote:While I'd love them to get a scorer, obviously, the bottom line is Lundqvist can and will steal games. That's more than we can say for Halak or Elliott. I'd be all about signing Lundqvist and hoping guys like Jaskin, Rattie, Tarasenko and Schwartz can provide the offense needed to compete in the postseason.


My main concern is that historically we've been the team that elite netminders come to before they 'die'; Hall, Fuhr, Legace and it looks like Halak may be next (Much as I am so not a big Halak fan, I would LOVE to see him pull out an epic comeback). Signing Henry after the way the Rangers lost would be a major concern to me (That team has NO excuse to have lost). Plus he's 31, how do we know he's not at the start of a decline?

Not that I disagree with your rationale, but Elliott stood on his head against LA and we couldn't win games we would have won if we had one or two elite offensive players. We could put Dominik Hasek or Patrick Roy in their prime between the pipes and still lose by a goal as we stand. It just illustrates more and more our big problem. Sure, we can hope Rattie, Tank, etc. provide the offense, but we've been doing that since Checketts introduced the 5-year plan almost what, 8 years ago? We need elite scorers and we're not going to develop those, those we will have to pay for.
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: Lets fire erryone and hire a gigantic asshole!!

Postby STLADOGG » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:59 pm

Oaklandblue wrote:
glen a richter wrote:While I'd love them to get a scorer, obviously, the bottom line is Lundqvist can and will steal games. That's more than we can say for Halak or Elliott. I'd be all about signing Lundqvist and hoping guys like Jaskin, Rattie, Tarasenko and Schwartz can provide the offense needed to compete in the postseason.


My main concern is that historically we've been the team that elite netminders come to before they 'die'; Hall, Fuhr, Legace and it looks like Halak may be next (Much as I am so not a big Halak fan, I would LOVE to see him pull out an epic comeback). Signing Henry after the way the Rangers lost would be a major concern to me (That team has NO excuse to have lost). Plus he's 31, how do we know he's not at the start of a decline?

Not that I disagree with your rationale, but Elliott stood on his head against LA and we couldn't win games we would have won if we had one or two elite offensive players. We could put Dominik Hasek or Patrick Roy in their prime between the pipes and still lose by a goal as we stand. It just illustrates more and more our big problem. Sure, we can hope Rattie, Tank, etc. provide the offense, but we've been doing that since Checketts introduced the 5-year plan almost what, 8 years ago? We need elite scorers and we're not going to develop those, those we will have to pay for.

Look at the great players in the NHL. All drafted by their current teams for example: Crosby, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Giroux, Toews, Datsyuk, Malkin.....
Teams won't trade or let these guys go.
Image
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW
User avatar
STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2241
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:41 pm
Location: -Saint Freaking Louis-

Re: Lets fire erryone and hire a gigantic asshole!!

Postby Oaklandblue » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:06 am

STLADOGG wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
glen a richter wrote:While I'd love them to get a scorer, obviously, the bottom line is Lundqvist can and will steal games. That's more than we can say for Halak or Elliott. I'd be all about signing Lundqvist and hoping guys like Jaskin, Rattie, Tarasenko and Schwartz can provide the offense needed to compete in the postseason.


My main concern is that historically we've been the team that elite netminders come to before they 'die'; Hall, Fuhr, Legace and it looks like Halak may be next (Much as I am so not a big Halak fan, I would LOVE to see him pull out an epic comeback). Signing Henry after the way the Rangers lost would be a major concern to me (That team has NO excuse to have lost). Plus he's 31, how do we know he's not at the start of a decline?

Not that I disagree with your rationale, but Elliott stood on his head against LA and we couldn't win games we would have won if we had one or two elite offensive players. We could put Dominik Hasek or Patrick Roy in their prime between the pipes and still lose by a goal as we stand. It just illustrates more and more our big problem. Sure, we can hope Rattie, Tank, etc. provide the offense, but we've been doing that since Checketts introduced the 5-year plan almost what, 8 years ago? We need elite scorers and we're not going to develop those, those we will have to pay for.

Look at the great players in the NHL. All drafted by their current teams for example: Crosby, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Giroux, Toews, Datsyuk, Malkin.....
Teams won't trade or let these guys go.


One thing that no one is taking into account is that everyone was watching the playoffs. The Blues team they saw would have going the distance if they had one elite scorer. There are players watching that are looking for a team that can take them to the Cup and those that are forwards are paying close attention to us, those forwards with the skills who want the best chance to win. Yes, you could sign with Detroit, Chicago, etc. but how much more legendary would you be if you played for a team that was winning their first Cup? Look at LA, no matter where he goes or what he does from here, the name Jonathan Quick is legendary and will be remembered forever, no matter how many more Cups they win. He and that team were the first and being the first at something like that is what builds statues, gets streets named after them and become a part of mythology.

I am of the belief that we won't need to look for those elite players, they will come to us. And for those who think that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever said, just remember this: that's how Jay Bo came to us.
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: Lets fire erryone and hire a gigantic asshole!!

Postby glen a richter » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:06 am

Who's to say if we actually had an "elite" scorer, he'd actually score? Let's take the Rangers as an example. They had Gaborik, have Nash, have Richards, Callahan could probably pot a bunch of goals and so, I think, could Hagelin. But in Torts system, they couldn't do shit because he was defense, defense, defense. Shot blocking, sacrifice the body, and the goal scorers were stifled. Hitchcock runs a similar system, minus the sideshow pressers. How do you know we won't go out and trade for Crosby, Stamkos and Tavares and the three of them turn into defensive phenoms who can't score more than 15 goals apiece? We're better off, if Hitch stays on, to have as many guys as possible who can score 15-20 goals a season than stay basically as is, add an expensive goalscorer and watch his numbers plummet because he's playing a defense first system. What this team really needs is a leader who won't allow them to play 2 good periods and 1 lousy one, or take off the last 2 minutes of each period. How many games did we see them lose because they couldn't put together a full 60 minutes?
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7260
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Lets fire erryone and hire a gigantic asshole!!

Postby Oaklandblue » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:19 pm

glen a richter wrote:Who's to say if we actually had an "elite" scorer, he'd actually score? Let's take the Rangers as an example. They had Gaborik, have Nash, have Richards, Callahan could probably pot a bunch of goals and so, I think, could Hagelin. But in Torts system, they couldn't do shit because he was defense, defense, defense. Shot blocking, sacrifice the body, and the goal scorers were stifled. Hitchcock runs a similar system, minus the sideshow pressers. How do you know we won't go out and trade for Crosby, Stamkos and Tavares and the three of them turn into defensive phenoms who can't score more than 15 goals apiece? We're better off, if Hitch stays on, to have as many guys as possible who can score 15-20 goals a season than stay basically as is, add an expensive goalscorer and watch his numbers plummet because he's playing a defense first system. What this team really needs is a leader who won't allow them to play 2 good periods and 1 lousy one, or take off the last 2 minutes of each period. How many games did we see them lose because they couldn't put together a full 60 minutes?


1. Torts is to the Rangers what Mike Keenan was to us. If I had a coach like that, I'd demand to be traded. Guy's a jerk and his coaching has led to disaster from a Rangers team that should be a perennial threat for the Cup.

2. The problem we have is that there is no clear-cut 'job' people. Even our best D is being relied on to score goals as well, where it should be the forwards carrying that weight. Our brightest days came from when we have those people; Oates assisted, Hull scored, etc. One of the big exceptions was Al, who was so awesome he scored and played D because he's Al. The people you listed are not known as deep D people, they score. Sure they can play some D, but they're forwards, they're paid to score, so....they score. No rocket science there.

I totally agree with the sentiment that if we signed an elite forward that they would get sucked into the d first system and suck. For all we know, Stewart, Perron and Backes would be loading up the net if they had a different or hybrid system given to them, which if this is true means if we want real success at the next level, there's really one option we should consider: Fire Hitchcock.

But

If you look at it that way, also consider this: Hitch had Modano and Hull and won a Cup. Two of Dallas' elite forwards at that time. We don't have one elite forward. I'm of the mind to give Hitch that and if he can't make it work with what he has, then fire him. But give him the chance. He's shown his system works and works wonderfully IF he has what he needs. And it's apparent there's a missing link here and we all know that's remedied with a signing or two of elite forwards. So dump what we can't work for us in this system and sign what will so we can finally win.
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: Lets fire erryone and hire a gigantic asshole!!

Postby glen a richter » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:16 pm

Oh I have no doubt that if Perron and Stewart were playing in a different system they'd score with incredible consistency. Backes maybe Backes, he's proven he can score on this team and just had an off year. The difference is Backes is a guy who will crash the net and score the shit goals, kind of like Walt. Stewart is a pansy and Perron is a figure skating douche who will score some highlight reel goals but not with the frequency we need him to, AND not get back on defense when necessary. The best thing for both of them (Perron and Stewart) is to play somewhere else. Or, get a new coach with a hybrid style, as you mention, and watch them light up the scoreboard nightly. We have the personnel to score goals, but we don't have the system to score goals, so it's either stick with Hitch and win low scoring games with regularity, or sack Hitch and hope his replacement puts in a viable system that we can score, not give up too many goals and win games when we need to win games. I just think adding anyone who's supposed to be a pure scorer will not help this team one bit. He'll cost too much in terms of money and/or prospects, prevent the team from re-signing the players who need to be re-signed (Pie, Shatty) and set this team back. Again, we have the personnel, we just don't have the system. The way they're situated now, I just see more of the same. Good regular season, short visit to the playoffs, excessively long off-season. Adding a prolific goalscorer won't change that.
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7260
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Next

Return to St. Louis Blues Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests