Blues get Paajarvi from EDM for Perron

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Blues get Paajarvi from EDM for Perron

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

More like David Per-Gone. Right?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

PD write up on the trade, with quotes from Army, Paajarvi, and Perr'uh.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... 51277.html

David Perron’s time in St. Louis, often entertaining, always eventful, came to an abrupt end Wednesday. Magnus Paajarvi’s is just beginning.

The Blues traded Perron to the Edmonton Oilers in return for the 22-year-old Paajarvi and a second-round pick in the 2014 draft. Paajarvi (pronounced Pay-ar-vee) got news of the trade at his home in Noorkoping, Sweden, where it was nearly 11 p.m.

“It definitely came as a shock,” Paajarvi said. “You never know in this business. I suspected if anything would have happened, it would have happened during the draft. So I was focused on the season in Edmonton.

“Right now, I’m a little overwhelmed, but I’m actually very excited for a new chapter here. I talked to (Blues general manager) Doug Armstrong and my first feeling is all good, exciting.”

A number of aspects surround the deal, including salary cap room. Paajarvi is a restricted free agent and the Blues have to sign him. But before last season, the 25-year-old Perron signed a four-year deal that retains $12.25 million, or a $3.8 million cap hit. Paajarvi’s salary will be considerably less, and he won’t be unrestricted until age 27.

The Blues are trying to sign new deals with defenseman Alex Pietrangelo, forward Chris Stewart and goaltender Jake Allen, so they need the eggs, so to speak. Armstrong acknowledged cap space is relevant, but added:

“We certainly didn’t make this trade just for salary cap purposes,” Armstrong said. “If we’re going to make a move, we want a player we think fits into the organization where it is today and where it is moving forward.

“We think Paajarvi is just starting to enter the real good part of his career and we have his rights for (several) years. We just think he brings an element to our team that we don’t have, a winger with that size and that speed.”

Yes, size matters in this deal. The Blues recently added diminutive center Derek Roy and have several other players of modest proportions, such as Jaden Schwartz and Vladimir Sobotka. Perron is generously listed at 5 feet 11, 197 pounds in media guides.

At the same time, the Blues have lost in the playoffs to a Los Angeles Kings team with bigger forwards two years in succession. They will compete in a Western Conference with the reigning champion Chicago Blackhawks, who feature a number of big forwards.

A left wing by trade, Paajarvi is 6-3, 205 pounds. He was Edmonton’s No. 1 pick in 2009, the 10th player taken overall.

He had nine goals and seven assists in 42 games last season, where he was a complementary piece in an offense that features young craftsmen like Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Nail Yakupov.

Paajarvi’s NHL numbers don’t overwhelm, but they also don’t paint a complete picture. He led Sweden in scoring during the 2010 World Championships and was selected to the All-Tournament team. He also played for the Swedish team that finished with a silver medal in 2011. During that time, he mostly played on a line with Blues center Patrik Berglund. Connect the dots.

“I know Patrik Berglund and Alex Steen very well,” Paajarvi said. “They’re great guys and St. Louis always has been a big, heavy team for (Edmonton), a hard team to play against. In the World Championships, I played with Berglund and we had good chemistry and a lot of success together.

“Of course, it is up to coaches what they have in mind. But I’m looking forward to being there. It’s hard to leave Edmonton. I really enjoyed my time there and it’s a little hard to say how I feel right now. But my initial feelings are (the Blues) always have been up there as a contender. It feels like it is a team that is coming up and wants to contend badly.”

Perron was in Montreal, participating in a media function, when his phone rang. He saw the call was from “Doug Armstrong” and got a gut feeling.

“When I saw the name on the phone, I knew right away that’s what it was going to be about,” Perron said. “I didn’t know how it was going to go down, but when I heard ‘Oilers,’ I thought it’s going to be a really nice fit for me.

“It’s a chance to play the style of hockey I think I came into the league playing and a way I can really benefit as a player into a puck-possession guy, offensive player that can really use his instincts.”

But, Perron added it’s especially hard to leave St. Louis.

“I loved pretty much everything about St. Louis,” he said. “I just want to thank the whole organization. From the time Larry Pleau, Jarmo Kekalainen and John Davidson drafted me, through all of the coaches, I think everybody put a lot of energy, a lot of effort into me. And I feel like tried to do my best for them, too.

“I thank my teammates and trainers, they always treated me so well. And the fans always were really supportive of me, from day one. I know they’ll continue to support the Blues forever. But hopefully they can keep a little place for me in their hearts.”

For a player of his stature. Paajarvi has been scrutinized in the past for spending too much time on the perimeter. He is aware of the criticism and feels he made strides last season toward finding his niche and developing a more determined game.

“My response to that is I thought I took s step and found a good role on the team with Edmonton last season,” Paajarvi said. “I felt I was a guy who can be relied on offensively and defensively, who can play a two-way game and score some goals as well.

“That fits me pretty good. I think my game is relying on my skating forward and backwards, and to create offense with that. (The Blues) play a very disciplined, forward-and-back game. Of course, I have to talk with coach Ken Hitchcock and see what he plans for me, but I think it fits me pretty good.”

Perron, a No. 1 draft pick in 2007, the 26th choice overall, had 84 goals and 114 points in 340 games over six seasons. From the time he showed up for his first camp wearing white skates, Perron was sometimes controversial, sometimes tragic and almost always colorful.

His Blues career began awkwardly as he fell in and out of favor with coach Andy Murray during Perron’s first two seasons. However, the Sherbrooke, Quebec native broke through with 20 goals and 47 points in 2009-10, as Davis Payne succeeded Murray halfway through the schedule.

Off to a fast start in 2010-11, Perron was seriously sidetracked by a mid-ice hit from San Jose’s Joe Thornton on Nov. 4, 2010 . Thornton received a two-game suspension for the blow; Perron missed 97 games because of concussion symptoms.

But on Dec. 3, 2011, he made a triumphant return, scoring a goal at Scottrade Center in 5-2 a loss to Chicago. Perron continued the remarkable comeback, netting 21 goals and 42 points in 57 games upon his return.

Expectations were high for 2012-13, especially after he signed a new contract. But a four-month lockout fractured the season. Perron had 10 goals and 15 assists while playing in all 48 games.

But he finished in a prolonged slump. He scored one goal over the last 21 regular-season games and added just one assist in the playoffs. The young and highly skilled Oilers would appear to be a comfortable landing spot for Perron.

“I hope David goes to Edmonton and has a terrific career and they have success,” Armstrong said. “This is a trade that hopefully benefits both teams.”

That said, there is a perception the Blues needed to add skill during the offseason. While Roy has that reputation, the retirement of Andy McDonald and the trade of Perron had claimed two of the most talented offensive players from last season’s roster. But Armstrong said the presence of Paajarvi promises to create elevated roles for others to shine.

“With the number of players we had like David ... they’re all a little bit different but they all had a lot of the same attributes,” Armstrong said.“With Ty Rattie coming, and with Dmitrij Jaskin, we just felt this was the right time to try to create some space for (Vladimir) Tarasenko and Schwartz for this year.

“But also understanding we believe in and we need Rattie, and we are asking him to take the next step also.”

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

First, the writing was on the wall and we all knew he was gone.

In the end, I actually think we did quite well on the return. I know many wanted an established player, but that wouldn't have offered the cap relief we needed.

We got a promising player with size that is still only 22 years old.

We got a second round pick.

We freed up 3.8 mill in cap space.

We got rid of David's actual real salary which was set to escalate to 4 mill next year and 4.5 the year after that.

And as Army noted, it opens more ice time for Tank and Swartz.

I think David may even very well be quite successful there in Edmonton, but that doesn't make it a bad trade for the Note.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Can't complain too much at all about this move. Like it's already been said, Perron was the most likely to be moved for a while, and he never really returned the level of production we've all been expecting for several years. Personally, I'm glad to see him handle the trade with some class- I more than half expected him to run his mouth off about the organization.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I think I'm OK with the deal. It's a pretty decent return for a salary dump. I have some concerns about hoping that a player hits his offensive potential in Hitch's system, but he seems to be well-rounded, he won't be a UFA for 5 more years, and we got a 2nd round pick in the deal as well. The pick is what makes it an OK deal I think. Paajarvi may pan out on his own, but if he doesn't, we essentially have a second chance to get a worthwhile return.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I actually LOVE this trade.

Paajarvi was highly touted at the draft and he's looked good from the little bit I've seen him in Edmonton. I would've considered this trade straight up to be honest but we also get a 2nd rounder? No contest.

Color me optimistic but I think this was a phenomenal deal and history is going to show this as a brilliant trade. Not only is the guy bigger in stature than Perron (6'3, 208) I just see more concussion problems down the road for Perron, he was getting pushed around a lot in the playoffs... I'm ecstatic.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

dmiles2186 wrote:PD write up on the trade, with quotes from Army, Paajarvi, and Perr'uh.

“I loved pretty much everything about St. Louis,” he said. “I just want to thank the whole organization. From the time Larry Pleau, Jarmo Kekalainen and John Davidson drafted me, through all of the coaches, I think everybody put a lot of energy, a lot of effort into me. And I feel like tried to do my best for them, too.

“I thank my teammates and trainers, they always treated me so well. And the fans always were really supportive of me, from day one. I know they’ll continue to support the Blues forever. But hopefully they can keep a little place for me in their hearts.”
That was a nice thing to say, I think he will fit in well there.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

[quote=DP]“It’s a chance to play the style of hockey I think I came into the league playing and a way I can really benefit as a player into a puck-possession guy, offensive player that can really use his instincts.”[/quote]

Kinda shows this "all about me" idea that had dogged DP for his time in STL and typifies why I am happy to see him go. I don't care how amazing he becomes (or doesn't) for Edmonton because I think it's a win just to get him out of our locker.

If Brett Hull was willing to suck it up and play hard D in Hitch's system, what made DP so special?

I think Magnus, Berglund, and Steen might do some awesome things this year. I really like the size upgrade aspect of this.

@ Goon - did you even watch the playoffs?

Perron had 2 assists and was a -3 for the series. If Perron was standing around the net it was prolly cause the play was back in his own end and he was watching it.

Steen, Schwartz, Reeves... those guys were doing the hard work all the way through and looked like they had an extra gear.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

Jaykay
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by Jaykay »

STLADOGG wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:PD write up on the trade, with quotes from Army, Paajarvi, and Perr'uh.

That was a nice thing to say, I think he will fit in well there.
I agree, that was a nice thing to say, and I believe that he really means it.

on the other side, you never read that a player would say anything bad, or that he does not like to play for his new team. I prefer cooler weather, so summer is hard for me, when it gets really hot. so if i'd be a pro, and i would get traded to arizona for example, i'd be concerned about the weather of my new "home". we just saw what happened when someone is a bit negative about his new team, ask sequin :aaaa:

so in other words - money makes you say, what everyone wants to hear.

anyway, :letsgoblues:
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Paul Stastny

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

DaDitka wrote:First, the writing was on the wall and we all knew he was gone.

In the end, I actually think we did quite well on the return. I know many wanted an established player, but that wouldn't have offered the cap relief we needed.

We got a promising player with size that is still only 22 years old.

We got a second round pick.

We freed up 3.8 mill in cap space.

We got rid of David's actual real salary which was set to escalate to 4 mill next year and 4.5 the year after that.

And as Army noted, it opens more ice time for Tank and Swartz.

I think David may even very well be quite successful there in Edmonton, but that doesn't make it a bad trade for the Note.
It wouldn't surprise me either if he did well in Edmonton. Teams that play the Oil have enough targeting to worry about with their insane depth of talent as far as Hall, Yakupov and Nugent-Hopkins go and could get a bit more space and freedom to show off a bit. Then again he wasn't a first liner here anyway but I guess my point is teams playing the Oilers aren't going to be putting much effort into specifically trying to shut down Perron and he might benefit a lot from that.

Never ever disliked the guy, he was always a bit small and I think he has more concussions down the road but enjoyed watching him play.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

There is A LOT of groundless hyping of Paajarvi...he's managed 24pts in 83 the last two seasons and a combined -8. He's called soft, so does he use his size? Apparently Perron was good enough to take time that might have gone to Tarasenko (has Armstrong talked to Hitch about why he was played so little?) or Schwartz (never struck me as anything special) but the new guy won't. So yeah, it's a straight salary dump. Of course Armstrong doesn't say that, no GM ever does.

This deal would be OK if it weren't for the context: last season Blues were 17th in goals scored, 23rd in shots per game and were 5th in the conference in PP% and 5v5 gf/ga ratio. We scored all of 10 times in 6 playoff games (16 in 10 in our last two series v LA).

We lost MacDonald & Perron (one of 5 players on roster to ever score 20 goals in an NHL season and one of only two who did it in 11/12) and replaced them with Roy (for AMac, ok), LaPierre, Aucoin & Paajarvi (3/4th-line players). Why? Because we have $17M in cap hit tied up in #3-5 Dmen and a goalie who may or may not be better than his backup.

I really hope Armstrong isn't done, because it looks like our offense at this point will be even weaker next season. And that's been our problem for a couple years now.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

nawf- yep. Perron at least messed with Quick. Nobody played particularly well.

The ONLY redeeming thing about Pansyjarvi is his speed. That may make him a serviceable checker. But his WC "chemistry" with Berglund doesn't mean anything. The WC are not the NHL, where this oversized Swedish Dan Quinn hasn't done anything.

So in my final analysis, Perron gone? Meh. New guy? double meh. We'll see what happens.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Uh...testing? First comment lost in the exchange...dag!

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

the range of possible outcomes on this deal for the Blues are moderate loss to complete steal.

barring a major turn-around in Edmonton, the second round pick should be in the top 45 and so provides some value even if Paaj turns out to be a total bust
Perron isn't going to suddenly turn in Ovechkin, but could consistently be a high 20s scorer in a more 'open' system
so a second and some cap relief would constitue a moderate loss to that David Perron
that said, I don't expect seeing a lot of future angst over having dealt away Perron even in this scenario(heck we dealt Stillman for just a second round pick)

flipside. Perron could have more injury issues and/or simply remain the David Perron we've known and loved.
Paaj could turn into a servicable 3rd liner with 20 goal upside
Perron could be replaced as a top 6 on the Blues and be out-produced by Tarasenko, Schwartz, or Rattie with addition via subtraction.
This version of the future would be a big win for the Blues.

tweak Perron's Oiler's contribution downward (think say Eddie Beers) add any pleasant development surprise from Paajarvi (pronounced "throat warbler mangrove") and it becomes a steal.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Some good quotes from Hitch on the trade. He scouted Paajarvi extensively before the deal was made.

http://www.bnd.com/2013/07/19/2702008/h ... jarvi.html
By NORM SANDERS — News-Democrat

Still excited by a 12-day tour of Europe that included historical sites from World War II and other eras, St. Louis Blues coach Ken Hitchcock was ready to talk some hockey.

Hitchcock met with the media Friday and touched on a variety of topics, including the recent trade of Blues winger David Perron, line combinations and the signing of free-agent center Derek Roy.

While many hockey insiders saw the Perron deal for Edmonton winger Magnus Paajarvi as clearing room under the salary cap, Hitchcock viewed it as a trade that could help both teams.

Hitchcock talked about the system for player moves that he and Blues General Manager Doug Armstrong have employed since they worked together in Dallas.

"My preference is don't tell me who you're getting rid of ... I don't want to dwell on that," said Hitchcock, who basically immerses himself in scouting and gaining information on prospective players. "I take real pride in going and looking at every aspect of his game and contacting people who know him very well personally.

"I do my homework on that and I use a lot of people to get the right information. Then I bring that information back to Doug on where I see him fitting on our team."

That was the case on Paajarvi, who at 22 is three years younger than Perron and also larger at 6-foot-3 and 208 pounds.

In 163 NHL games with the Oilers, the former 10th overall pick in 2009 has 26 goals and 58 points in 163 games.

"I have a lot of people personally that knew Paajarvi, both in Sweden and in Edmonton," Hitchcock said. "I watched all of his games against teams similar to us. I knew how well he played in the last 20 games. ... I watched that very closely.

"But I wanted to see how he played against San Jose, LA and ourselves. Those were the games I focused on."

In an interview with the Belleville News-Democrat at the time of his trade, Perron was asked about his relationship with Hitchcock and difficult comeback from a concussion.

"I do think it's a better fit in Edmonton, but it doesn't mean it was a bad fit here in St. Louis," Perron said. "I think everyone had pretty much bought into the system and I think Hitch is a really good coach. It's two different styles of hockey and that's the way it is.

"I still enjoyed my time in St. Louis and I can only thank all my teammates and fans and everyone for believing in me for six years."

Hitchcock said Friday he and Perron weren't working against each other.

"I really liked him personally," Hitchcock said. "Him and I had a good relationship because I really respected the fact that he was coming back from a significant injury. I really felt like he was a guy that when you had him on the ice, you were one step away from scoring a goal all the time.

"He was a dangerous player offensively, so the other team was always on edge against him."

Hitchcock admitted there were times when he had higher expectations for Perron.

"I don't look at top skilled players as anything else than there's some risk with those players -- and as long as those players are working hard and competing, then the risk is worth it," Hitchcock said. "The times that I was disappointed in him was when he stopped playing reckless and he started to play careful.

"When he played careful or tried to play and put the skill in ahead of the work, he knew that the coaching staff wasn't going to be happy with him."

Both players will be watched closely in the future because of the significance of the move.

"We think (Paajarvi) is an improving player," Hitchcock said. "We think he's a player that's going to get better and with our team and the way we play, we think he's a great fit.

"But there's no denying that David is an offensive player with a lot of thrust. We'll see over time."

Perron clashed at times with former Blues coaches Andy Murray and Davis Payne, dating back to raising Murray's radar by wearing white skates in his first appearance in St. Louis.

Has he matured?

"Where I saw maturity in David was looking at himself," Hitchcock said. "We had a lot of good talks, especially at the end of the year. I think he started to look at himself and what he needed to get better at rather than his surroundings.

"We're getting a good player who's going up, hopefully. Edmonton's getting a good player who's going to be a threat to score all the time."

Read more here: http://www.bnd.com/2013/07/19/2702008/h ... rylink=cpy

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

I'm going to have to see this hoser Paajarvi play before I'm going to buy in to him being worthy of a roster spot. I'm skeptical that "Magnus Paajarvi" is simply Swedish for "giant pussy". I hope I'm wrong.
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

fargoblues wrote:I'm going to have to see this hoser Paajarvi play before I'm going to buy in to him being worthy of a roster spot. I'm skeptical that "Magnus Paajarvi" is simply Swedish for "giant pussy". I hope I'm wrong.
Is that along the same lines of how Bon Jovi is North Dakotan for irresistible?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

glen a richter wrote:
fargoblues wrote:I'm going to have to see this hoser Paajarvi play before I'm going to buy in to him being worthy of a roster spot. I'm skeptical that "Magnus Paajarvi" is simply Swedish for "giant pussy". I hope I'm wrong.
Is that along the same lines of how Bon Jovi is North Dakotan for irresistible?
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

AlsWoodenStick
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by AlsWoodenStick »

Blues sign MSP to a 2 year deal, 1.2 each. Per JR.

[tweet][/tweet]
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Good deal. Another bridge contract, low cost. We'll see what this kid can do and if he can't do much, we trade or let him walk in a season and a half, much like the Stewart deal.