LGBR Poll #2: Episode 31 posted

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Who will be the Blues' starting goalie when the playoffs roll around?

Jaroslav Halak
58%
Brian Elliott
33%
Jake Allen
8%
Other (Please specify)
No votes

Total votes: 12

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: LGBR Poll #2: Episode 31 posted

Post by Winning Unlimited »

For the upcoming 2013-14 NHL Season, would you rather:
(A) Guarantee that every game would be officiated to the satisfactory of a neutral third party
(B) Change one on-ice rule in the NHL. If so, which one?

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

For the upcoming 2013-14 team, would you rather:
(A) Add Brett Hull to the this team, in his prime, circa 1990-91 season
(B) Be guaranteed that the Blues would advance to the Stanley Cup Finals, but the result unknown.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

I have to say that if anything else, the one thing this thread has proven is that our netminding strength, for a change, runs ridiculously deep. We got top drawer talent in the system and if Halak can become consistently healthy, we would own superiority of the pipes, bar none. Ells is definently the regular season netminder and Halak's our playoff goalie but that's so far not panned out, THANK YOU JACKMAN. :x

If we can sign Pie, D won't be our problem, once again, lack of reliable elite scoring is and lack of follow-thru.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Winning Unlimited wrote:For the upcoming 2013-14 NHL Season, would you rather:
(A) Guarantee that every game would be officiated to the satisfactory of a neutral third party
(B) Change one on-ice rule in the NHL. If so, which one?
B. Take out the trapezoid and let goalies play the puck. It's a failed idea, time to move on. I've been wanting that one changed for years.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Winning Unlimited wrote:For the upcoming 2013-14 team, would you rather:
(B) Be guaranteed that the Blues would advance to the Stanley Cup Finals, but the result unknown.
B. I want the Blues to make the Stanley Cup Finals once in my life. Win or lose...I want them to have a shot. I want them to be playing in June. I want them to be one of two teams that are the focus of the entire hockey world.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:I have no doubt in my mind that 2014-2015 will bring us a Jake Allen/Jordan Binnington tandem. Unless they spend on a veteran backup which I don't anticipate.
I've seen you post this a few times. Do you really think the Blues will send Binnington straight to the NHL? They've been so careful with Allen, I don't see them doing anything different with Binnington. If Jake Allen is the starter in 2014-2015, I would guess the Blues would provide him with a veteran backup in case of injury, poor play, and just to help with the 82 season grind.
If they can get a veteran backup on the cheap who isn't cheap on account of the fact that he's simply no good. Salary cap is always an issue and the team will be at the ceiling once Pie finally signs. I haven't done any research into this at all, so this is just pissing in the wind but there are some significant RFA's coming up after the next 2 seasons plus if they want to retain the services of their impending UFA's, in particular Alex Steen will be commanding a decent raise. I mean if they were to let Halak, Elliott, Bouwmeester and Roy all walk they'd open up a lot of cap space for a backup minder and FA reinforcements preferably on offense. Who knows what the future will bring when they have to consider contracts for the rest of the team? If they expect Binnington will one day be a starting goalie then there's really no room for him on this team. Allen will be the #1 moving forward and that's just the way it is. Binnington will either be a backup or traded to a team that needs a young #1. Letting him languish in the farm will do nothing to benefit him after a while.
I don't disagree with you but spending 2014-2015 in Chicago is not letting Binnington languish on the farm. Honestly, I see the Blues either trading or letting Halak walk in the upcoming season. This is assuming Allen and/or Elliott do not regress big time. I see an Allen/Elliott combo in 2014-2015. It's not like Ells is going to command a huge pay raise unless he goes Tim Thomas circa 2010 on us and wins a Vezina. I think we've seen what Ells can do. He's been a great backup/part time starter/starter for us but I don't see that commanding 4 mil per on the FA market (then again, David Friggin' Clarkson snagged 7m per). That said, if he's going to cost too much, we let him walk and you can find a decent veteran backup out there that won't break the bank.
What if he proves to be a world beater this year? Binnington I mean. What if he singlehandedly delivers Chicago a Calder Cup?
That might be the only scenario where I could see Binnington being on this team in 2014-2015 (outside of an injury callup). Ultimately, if Allen is The One moving forward, the Blues would be more likely to have Binnington play in Chicago to display him as a trade piece. He doesn't do that sitting behind Allen for 80% of the season.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

dmiles2186 wrote:
B. I want the Blues to make the Stanley Cup Finals once in my life. Win or lose...I want them to have a shot. I want them to be playing in June. I want them to be one of two teams that are the focus of the entire hockey world.
With our D + goaltending, adding Brett Hull in his prime would guarantee the Cup.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
With our D + goaltending, adding Brett Hull in his prime would guarantee the Cup.
Possibly. But as a Blues fan, the part of my brain that says, 'It would guarantee another Blues team w/ Hull falling short of the Finals' kicks in. So I take the for sure guaranteed trip to the Finals.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

I'm not worried about the goaltending.
With a full season, actually knowing when you will start the season; I believe Halak(assuming he stays healthy) will be a top 5 goalie in the league and if not, I have all the belief Elliott will step in and do a great job as well.
My only concern is that we have yet to sign Petro and Paajarvi.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW