St. Louis Rams 2013 (And other NFL stuff)

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

St. Louis Rams 2013 (And other NFL stuff)

Post by dmiles2186 »

Who is ready? A week and a half way honkies.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: St. Louis Rams 2013 (And other NFL stuff)

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'm pumped for this season. Probably setting myself up for disappointment, but I could see 10 wins. I'm not as sold on making the playoffs (and certainly not going far in the playoffs), but I could see 10 wins. That would be huge.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:I'm pumped for this season. Probably setting myself up for disappointment, but I could see 10 wins. I'm not as sold on making the playoffs (and certainly not going far in the playoffs), but I could see 10 wins. That would be huge.
I'm with you. I think the Rams are being completely overlooked in the NFC West. On Saturday's preseason game, that Tavon punt return and then that beautiful throw from Sam to Cook showed the promise of this offense. I'm a little worried about our running game, but I feel like we have 4 guys in Richardson, Pead, Stacey, and Cunningham who could all take the job and run with it.

I know it's preseason, so I don't look into much scheme wise or anything, but I noticed our coverage was playing off the receivers and allowing passes to be made. It may have just been a tactic not to reveal too much about what we're going to do, but I know that's how we played a bit last year too. Intrigued to see if that will change.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

In what has turned into a generally awful summer, I only managed to draft up one fantasy team. It's a bummer because football is the one fantasy sport I'm actually good at.

The surprise team of the year will be the Browns, bank on it.

I hope the Rams have a lot of opportunities for long ass field goal attempts because I snagged Greg the Leg with the last pick of my draft. I can't believe how overlooked he was while other kickers with inferior distance went much earlier. Unless there's something I'm missing.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:In what has turned into a generally awful summer, I only managed to draft up one fantasy team. It's a bummer because football is the one fantasy sport I'm actually good at.

The surprise team of the year will be the Browns, bank on it.

I hope the Rams have a lot of opportunities for long ass field goal attempts because I snagged Greg the Leg with the last pick of my draft. I can't believe how overlooked he was while other kickers with inferior distance went much earlier. Unless there's something I'm missing.
The thing with GZ is that in the back half of last season, he wasn't as accurate as he started. That's the only reason I can see. He missed 3 FG's against Miami and wasn't the same after that. But he was also kicking 50+ yarders frequently, you are bound to miss some of those. I was a little surprised at how far down the list he is. He's going to set the longest FG record sooner rather than later.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Yahoo's assessment of my team is that I'll be 7-7, and they always underestimate what I actually end up doing in FF so that means I should take first place. Zeurlein could be the difference maker in the close weeks because 50+ yards is worth more than your typical chip shot field goal. What they should do is not penalize you if your kicker misses anything 50+ but take away 3 points for missing anything inside the 50.

On a related note, anyone draft early and get stuck with Aaron Hernandez? I didn't, but I know some outlets were drafting in late June so the possibility exists that many people were blissfully unaware their TE1 was about to come out as a serial killer. If the Pats knew what they know now about him they probably wouldn't have been so lax about letting Welker walk. Now their only viable receiving threat (fortunately for my team) is Danny Amendola. If he doesn't get the majority of the targets and score at least 16 TD's, I'd be shocked.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:Yahoo's assessment of my team is that I'll be 7-7, and they always underestimate what I actually end up doing in FF so that means I should take first place. Zeurlein could be the difference maker in the close weeks because 50+ yards is worth more than your typical chip shot field goal. What they should do is not penalize you if your kicker misses anything 50+ but take away 3 points for missing anything inside the 50.

On a related note, anyone draft early and get stuck with Aaron Hernandez? I didn't, but I know some outlets were drafting in late June so the possibility exists that many people were blissfully unaware their TE1 was about to come out as a serial killer. If the Pats knew what they know now about him they probably wouldn't have been so lax about letting Welker walk. Now their only viable receiving threat (fortunately for my team) is Danny Amendola. If he doesn't get the majority of the targets and score at least 16 TD's, I'd be shocked.
I love Amendola, but he's gotta stay healthy. If he does, then he's going to become a premier WR with numbers near what you are predicting.

If anyone is drafting leagues in June or July, then they've only got themselves to blame for an Aaron Hernandez situation. :mrgreen: My leagues drafted on the 17th and 19th of August and I thought that was early.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Wow, I've never heard of a June draft. That's insane.

I'm really curious what the Patriots look like offensively this year. On paper, Ammendola looks like the best receiver (excluding Gronkowski) when healthy. But, I've seen some sleeper picks of Thompkins and Sudfeld, undrafted WR and TE (respectively) both out of Nevada.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The Packers took a sizable hit with DuJuan Harris now out for the season. Bad for their running game, good for my team now that Rodgers will probably spend additional time in the air. They're set to run away with the NFC North anyway though. That division is crap magnified. Minnesota and Chicago were both flukey last season and Detroit sucks.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Fun Fact: In 1974 the NFL added sudden death overtime to regular season games to lower the number of tied games in a season. Since then there have been 18 tied games, none occurring in 2 or more consecutive seasons since 1989. With San Fran and St. Louis tying last season, the possibility of consecutive seasons with the extraordinarily rare tie game exists this year. The Eagles and Packers have been in the most combined tie games since '74 (8 total) and they play each other on November 10th.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:Fun Fact: In 1974 the NFL added sudden death overtime to regular season games to lower the number of tied games in a season. Since then there have been 18 tied games, none occurring in 2 or more consecutive seasons since 1989. With San Fran and St. Louis tying last season, the possibility of consecutive seasons with the extraordinarily rare tie game exists this year. The Eagles and Packers have been in the most combined tie games since '74 (8 total) and they play each other on November 10th.
The funny thing is that had it not been for a last second OT FG from GZ in game 2 between the team, the Rams and Niners would have tied twice last year.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Between Benny Cunningham and Ray Ray Armstrong, I can't remember the last time the Rams actually had some UDFA's that might make an impact in the regular season.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Man, what a win by the Rams. I know it was against the Cardinals, but they seem improved with Palmer as their QB. To get that season opening win for the first time since '06 was huge, especially with games against Atlanta, Dallas, and San Fran coming up.

Can we shock the league and start 2-0 by beating the Falcons on their turf?

Cook made up for that early fumble in a big way. Bradford looked like a commander out there, even with the big mistake that led to the pick 6.

Robert Quinn is going to be a Pro Bowler sooner rather than later.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I like how we looked on the whole. Bradford was great. Quinn was great. Cook was great (except for the fumble, which was also a nice play by Mathieu).

Secondary was awful though IMO. Hopefully they patch that up quickly or Matt Ryan is going to have a field day.

What really makes me optimistic about this team (in Rams standards, not Super Bowl contender standards) is that I think the secondary just had a bad game, but our offense only scratched the surface of what they're capable of. Austin is going to get better (not that he was bad), Givens will be more involved in stretching the field. Yesterday it was Cook, but there will be a matchup like that every week that we should be able to exploit, sometimes 2.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Good point about the matchups. The Rams have the ability to feature 1 or 2 different weapons each week. Seemed like Richardson and Cook were the guys this week, Austin and Givens could be next, or Quick and Kendricks. It's a good problem to have.

Since Fisher came in, the secondary has had a habit of playing way off receivers to the point it's annoying. But if you noticed, they started to clamp down in the 2nd half. I wonder if that's strategy or what? They play a 'bend don't break' style D in the first half, then turn up the heat in the 2nd? I don't know, but it's frustrating. If Palmer can pick you apart, like you said, Matt Ryan will have a day.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I watched today's game...I'm still not sure I've processed it and believe it happened. The Rams looked...good. Like, really good. It just makes you wonder why they can't do this more often. And it was a quality opponent too, not an ailing Texans team.

Alas, they still had about 75 penalties, but ultimately, the D was awesome, Tavon was awesome, and the win was awesome.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I picked up Zac Stacy, should have last week, learned my lesson.

Unfortunately, as my fantasy season crumbles and I tumble out of the #1 seed, Aaron Rodgers goes down so I replace him with........... Jake Locker. He's playing Jacksonville, I said. He'll eat them up alive, I said. I'll take him over Nick Foles, I said. Franking eh. What a quarterback clusterfuk I have going on.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I work Sundays, so didn't get to see any of the game other than highlights. I picked up Vinateiri in my fantasy league this week because I thought the Colts would score a lot. Oh well.

I was tied for first place with the most points scored in my fantasy league going into this week, averaging 160.46/week. I'm currently on pace for 96 this week. Oh well, I still have a game lead over 3rd and 4th place with a H2H victory over each. 2nd is as good as first since both get a bye. That's not so bad I guess.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Those fightin' Rammies! Got to watch the game with some Bears fans and enjoyed celebrating the win. This team makes me quit believing...and then pulls me back in. If we could have converted to beat Seattle, we're 6-4 and right in the thick of the Wild Card race. Tough schedule down the stretch, but this is a different team than it was just 4-5 weeks ago.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

The Rams currently hold the #2 overall pick thanks to the Washington football team. The player that was used with the pick that the Rams traded to Washington was just moved to 3rd string and inactivated today. The football gods may finally be shining on the Fightin' Rammies.