GDT #1: 10/3/13 > Blues vs Predators > 7:30 PM > FSMW/Y98FM

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Gaijin Flyer
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Re: GDT #1: 10/3/13 > Blues vs Predators > 7:30 PM > FSMW/Y9

Post by Gaijin Flyer »

Did you guys see a different game than I did? We should have crushed this team at home, didn't.

Our defense did not look like tops in the NHL. Sloppy, not a lot of support from forwards when defensemen were overmanned. Preds seemed to have a lot of sustained pressure. Way too many Blues passing into the slot or cross ice trying to clear.

We won that game because we were 2/4 on PP and we played well on the kill. Even strength, we were barely even with them. 22 shots to 25 even strength and lost 61% faceoffs.

I think KH has plenty of good tape for some _ss chewings on the team defense.

For plusses, we didn't have to wait 2 weeks for Backes to get a goal and our passing was very good in transition.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Really solid first game. Bonus points for getting Rinne yanked after 10 mins. I thought the Preds were better in stretches, or at the very least, they were applying pressure that allowed them to get back in the game. But the Blues, I feel, are the better team and this is a game that better teams sometimes win. They took advantage and pounced on the mistakes and were able to weather the punches with minimal damage. Great first win and Sobie's goal was outstanding.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

The first ten minutes of the game were artistic. It bogged down after that, and I agree that the defense was not spot-on, and there were some issues with the new guys. But it's hard to complain about that game. Nice first effort.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Gaijin Flyer wrote:Did you guys see a different game than I did? We should have crushed this team at home, didn't.

Our defense did not look like tops in the NHL. Sloppy, not a lot of support from forwards when defensemen were overmanned. Preds seemed to have a lot of sustained pressure. Way too many Blues passing into the slot or cross ice trying to clear.

We won that game because we were 2/4 on PP and we played well on the kill. Even strength, we were barely even with them. 22 shots to 25 even strength and lost 61% faceoffs.

I think KH has plenty of good tape for some _ss chewings on the team defense.

For plusses, we didn't have to wait 2 weeks for Backes to get a goal and our passing was very good in transition.
I agree about the defense, but I'm not very worried about it. It was the first game of the year. They'll be better.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Unable to see the game - was Stewart as bad as his -2 with no shots on goal stat line?

The offense in the first period is encouraging. Good first game together for these guys. Let's keep that rolling!
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

sseagle wrote:Saw an ad after the game for the Wednesday rivalry crap nbcsn makes up... Since when are the Blackhawks our rivals??

(Frank) the Blackhawks !!
I'm going down to that game. I'm ready to beat the shit out of some bandwagon Hawks fans. :twisted:
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:Unable to see the game - was Stewart as bad as his -2 with no shots on goal stat line?

The offense in the first period is encouraging. Good first game together for these guys. Let's keep that rolling!
Stewart looked good to me besides a super sketchy pass that lucky made it to another blue, once his line mates start getting their legs back and keeping up I think that line will do some good things.

Tarasenko on the other hand I yelled at all night, needs to pass the puck more he tends to hold on and try to make a highlight reel goal. I understand he wants on the board but asst. are points too.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

ESPN sucks.

Drinking game: Take a shot whenever this moron mispronounces a player's name. You'll be lucky to still be alive by the end.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

ViPeRx007 wrote:

ESPN sucks.

Drinking game: Take a shot whenever this moron mispronounces a player's name. You'll be lucky to still be alive by the end.
Hurts my head to listen to that wtf?
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Missed opening night because I moved my late days from M/W to Tu/Th this year. So I got home at 10, ate and went straight to sleep. Great news getting a W out of the gate, now they need to build on it. Bring on the pressure, score at a nice clip and continue with the strong defense.

I'm sure Nashville looked good in stretches but the fact that we put up 4 on them is great because they do have a very solid defensive corp themselves. If the boys can pot 4 against the Preds, no reason they can't pot 4+ against anyone else on a regular basis.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

APOD wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:

ESPN sucks.

Who is this David Baucus guy? He seems talented.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I remember Neil Everrett calling Oshie TJ ahhshie a few years ago. Drives me nuts when somebody in sports journalism of some sort for a career can't even learn to pronounce somebody's name correctly. Just lazy.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Overall decent game.
We played well in stretches and got hemmed in for stretches. But even though we were hemmed in more than a few times, the defense did a good job at keeping the puck on the perimeter and limiting their good chances. Nashville didn't have a ton of great chances. They had a chance in alone, and Halak stopped a back door chance. But other than that, he really didn't have to make any other great saves.
I'm not sure if credit goes to our D or their inept offense. Maybe a little of both.

I thought Stewart was ok. But he did flub a pass to him where he would have been in along at the end of the 1st period, I think. Missed chance there. Stewart is fun to watch in alone on a goalie.

Sobotka's goal was very nice. Smart play in outwaiting Rinne.

Halak looked decent...but he was caught scrambling a couple times and was out of position...thankfully the Blues clogged things up at the top of the crease so nothing got through during those times.

Oshie's goal was beautiful. The tic-tac-toe passing was nice, and he finessed that puck right between Rinne and the post. When I first saw this goal, I thought it was a bad goal by Rinne to give up, but after seeing the replay form the opposite angle...it just showed great hands by Oshie.

Good to see Backes get on the scoreboard in the first game. Nice goal too.

I don't mind if Tarasenko holds on to the puck a little longer and trying to make something happen. Our offense needs some creativity and a "drive to the net" mentality...and quite honestly, I like the fact we have a guy who has the balls to try that stuff once in a while. Does it work every time? Nope. And when you see the top playmakers on other teams try it, it doesn't work most of the time either...but they keep trying it and it works sometimes. Now, of course, he needs to be smart about it. You don't pass up golden opportunities and not pass to a guy who is wide open in front or stuff like that. But I have no problem with him trying something once in a while instead of the usual cycling play or just moving it to the point.

Sucks for Steen to lose a tooth in the first game of the season.

Surprised Schwartz didn't get hurt worse by that puck to the face. That could have been nasty bad.

Halak still makes me nervous. I hope that feeling starts to fade away as the season goes on. I just don't have that nervous feeling when Elliott is in net.

I don't like Scott Warman. Don't like Pat Paris either. Not sure what it is about either one...but I just don't like them.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

APOD wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:

ESPN sucks.

I think the only name I heard in that whole clip that was pronounced correctly was Legwand. Everyone else was wrong. Steen even had his pronounced wrong in two different ways: Sneed and Sneen...and that isn't even a hard name at all.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
APOD wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:

ESPN sucks.

I think the only name I heard in that whole clip that was pronounced correctly was Legwand. Everyone else was wrong. Steen even had his pronounced wrong in two different ways: Sneed and Sneen...and that isn't even a hard name at all.
I couldn't quite tell. Did he get Hornqvist's name right too?

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

drwoland wrote:None of our new "scoring threats" have even scored a goal yet, so hopefully lots more in store. Just familiar faces so far.
I think they showed us a little something tonight against Mr Tomas and his panthers.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
APOD wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:

ESPN sucks.

I couldn't quite tell. Did he get Hornqvist's name right too?
It sounds like he says "Horn-vist".

I guess he got Carter Hutton right too.

Btw, Google Nashville Predators roster and someone explain what the hell is up with Hornqvist's photo... :lol: