Stewart

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

18tonytwist
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Stewart

Post by 18tonytwist »

I know it's only 6 games into the season, but I wondered what everyone thought about Stewart's game so far. The only reason I bring it up is the fact that some fans seemed disappointed that the Blues resigned him. I thought the short term of the contract would give Chris a chance to come out and have a great year. Excuses aside, I wanted to see 25G and 30 or so assists. Can you imagine how good this team can be if he starts producing on the score sheet? Thoughts????

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Stewart

Post by Oaklandblue »

Stewart is serving a very specific role and I feel it makes his game much better because of it. I have no doubt that he will rack up 20+ goals this season. The season is still very young and all we can do is predict, but so far Stewart is playing tough. No complaints here.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

He's the laziest player on the team.
That big and strong and does nothing with it.
(Frank) that dude.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Krigloch the Furious wrote:He's the laziest player on the team.
That big and strong and does nothing with it.
(Frank) that dude.
Still.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

He led us in goals last year. I'm giving him more than 7 games to hate him again.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

cardsfan04 wrote:He led us in goals last year. I'm giving him more than 7 games to hate him again.
He also had just three goals in 24 games to close out the year (reg. season and playoffs). Of his 18 goals, nine came between Feb. 23 - March 23 (13 games).

He started off hot but really fell off when the games got tougher and the Blues needed his offense more than ever. Luckily, they found offense throughout the roster, but their "gun" was shooting blanks. I'm not impressed by him.

I was one of the ones that was against his signing. Now that he has his contract, he will be lazier than ever.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

cardsfan04 wrote:He led us in goals last year. I'm giving him more than 7 games to hate him again.
Not in the playoffs - 0 goals in 6 games. Only 2 goals in 7 the year before.

He is a lazy player who will wind up on the - end of the +/- rating no matter how many goals he scores...

Guess who leads this current Blues team in the negative side of plus/minus.... Yep - wonder boy Chris Stewart. How in the heck does a team have 27 GF in 7 games with only 19 GA and still have a -3 player?? That player sucks...

I can understand Cracknell, Morrow, and Roy being -1 (4th liner, old vet, old vet). What is Stewart's excuse. He is not old. He supposedly skates faster (when he isn't being a pussy), has size and should hit (when he isn't being a pussy), and only seems to "step up" when it doesn't really matter. Trade this guy for a bag of pucks and bring up a kid who will actually try every shift, every night.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

BlueNoteworthy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlueNoteworthy »

What really gets me about Stewart is that the Blues signed him for almost exactly the amount they saved in salary cap for trading Perron. Now, I knew Perron isn't perfect. There is some truth to him not living up to his potential, holding the puck too long and taking bad penalties. However the knocks on Stewart are just as legitimate. The Blues could have gotten a lot more trading the rights to Stewart than they got for Perron. Stewart was coming off of a solid numerical season. As you all have pointed out, those numbers were inflated with a few good runs. The Blues made it a priority to get a playmaker, but they trade away one of the better ones they had and kept a Power Forward who doesn't use his power. Perron seems to have been made the scapegoat of the Blues underachieving. Yet Stewart is touted as a key to the franchise, even though he didn't show up at all in the playoffs either. Perron was sent packing for very little in order to save salary. Many people say you can't look at it as Magnus for Perron, but instead as Magnus, Morrow, and resigning Petro. I don't look at it either way. I look at it as Perron vs. Stewart, and I think the Blues would be better with Perron.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Um, I feel like Perron fits that same underachieve idea. I also get the sense he was a diva and a problem in the locker room. I'm happy he's gone.

Stewart should have been on the next train out of STL imo. I think we wasted money signing him, but idk that there were better options to be had through the FA market.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

BlueNoteworthy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlueNoteworthy »

Half of the entire Blues roster fits the underachiever profile.

TJ Oshie, 24th overall draft pick,5 pro seasons, never hit 20 goals, one season with 50 points (54)
Patrick Bergland, 25th overall, 5 pro seasons, one season with 20 goals (22), one season with 50 points (52)
Alexander Steen 24th overall, 8 pro seasons, 2 seasons with 20 goals (24, 20), one season with 50 points (51)
Magnus Paajarvi, 10th Overall, 3 pro seasons, never over 20 or 50,backslid and sent to minors after 15 goal rookie campaign, not even on the Blues top 12
Chris Stewart, 18th Overall, 5 pro seasons, 2 over 20 (28, 28) and 2 over 50 (64, 53)
David Perron, 26th overall, 6 pro seasons (one and a half missed with concussion), 2 20 goal seasons (20,21) and one 50 point effort (50)

I don't see how you can say Perron is more of an underachiever than the rest. He was also the latest draft pick of the bunch and considered a reach, so the expectations should be less. Finally, he has a legitimate excuse with his severe concussion to be a little gun shy. He was a scape-goat as the under-achiever when none of the top 6 forwards with the exception of Backes (3rd round, 2 30 goal seasons) has lived up to first round potential.

If we ran everyone out of town who underachieved, we wouldn't have a team. You could even put some of the D in there. Jackman: 17th overall, amazing rookie season winning the Calder and even being talked about although not nominated for the Norris, but he has never reached anywhere near those heights again. At best, a solid stay at home defenseman. Cole 18th overall, never played 30 in the NHL in any one season despite being 24.

So as for Stewart, I think he fits the mold. However, the Blues are trying to break that mold. Stewart appears to be the only one not even trying to do so. Its disappointing because he has the most success of them all. He also has the tools (size, speed, hands) to be good. He just doesn't put in the effort. That is the most frustrating thing. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him moved at the trade deadline. If he redoubles his effort though, he may work out. I just can't see him doing that over an entire 82 game season.

beat2life
Rookie
Rookie

Post by beat2life »

^ this

Frusciante
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Frusciante »

I think Stewart has looked quite good so far. He's had a couple of nice assists and he's showing okey chemistry with Roy. He's also playing a lot harder IMO than last year, which is a good sign. Now, I am really looking forward to seeing someone else than Morrow on that line, because he hasn't contributed at all so far. Slow, losing battles in the corners and just doesn't bring anything to that line. For it to be effective they need someone else to step in there and that's what Hitch is looking to do now. I believe this will also raise Stewart numbers significantly. As for the +/-, we all know he's not great in the defensive zone, but as long as he puts up numbers offensively I'm willing to live with that. Time will tell.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

He's got 2 points in 7 games (Assists), he's dropped gloves and has 19 PIMS. There are a handful of players who have YET to even get ONE assist this season.

Seven games.

You know, for what you guys want, you should never have signed Chris. You should have signed Anthony.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

Oaklandblue wrote:He's got 2 points in 7 games (Assists), he's dropped gloves and has 19 PIMS. There are a handful of players who have YET to even get ONE assist this season.

Seven games.

You know, for what you guys want, you should never have signed Chris. You should have signed Anthony.
I would have been fine with that. Atleast we would know we were signing fourth-line talent with Anthony.

I expect a former first-round pick to play like a former first-round pick. We crucify Erik Johnson on a daily basis for not living up to potential.

We're not paying him $4.1 per to be a complete non threat offensively.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

ProngerBlues44 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:He's got 2 points in 7 games (Assists), he's dropped gloves and has 19 PIMS. There are a handful of players who have YET to even get ONE assist this season.

Seven games.

I would have been fine with that. Atleast we would know we were signing fourth-line talent with Anthony.

I expect a former first-round pick to play like a former first-round pick. We crucify Erik Johnson on a daily basis for not living up to potential.

We're not paying him $4.1 per to be a complete non threat offensively.
Actually, we are. :ninja:

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

How can anyone sit there and say that after SEVEN games that any player is not living up to their potential?

I could see this discussion coming up after 20 or maybe even 30 games, but seven? If Stewart goes on a streak and scores 12 goals in the next dozen games, where are the people going to be who are talking about not living to his potential?

Heck, is ANYONE on this team living up to their potential who ain't wearing a letter or who ain't in a contract year beyond Tarasenko?

OR do yall really think that Halak is pulling out all the stops because he's being motivated by more than getting a bigger contract?

Come on, now. Wait a dozen games and THEN review. If we were 1-1-5, I'd quickly change my opinion, but we're 5-1-1.

BlueNoteworthy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlueNoteworthy »

Heck, is ANYONE on this team living up to their potential who ain't wearing a letter or who ain't in a contract year beyond Tarasenko?
Oshie: Leads team in +/- at +6, 6 points and really doing a great job supporting his line mates who are on fire by setting them up and carrying more defensive weight
Bouwmeester: 5 assists, +5, logging monster ice time, moving the puck really well with Petro
Sobotka: Really strong on face-offs, as always very versatile helping team on multiple lines at multiple positions
Halak: Whatever his reasons, he is playing well. If he keeps it up and gets the Blues a cup, I'll be happy.
Roman Polak: He has a goal, whatever else he has done or not done, that is far above his potential :lol:

There may be others who are playing below their potential on the Blues this season, but none has as much potential with as little production as Stewart. The TC stated it was only 6 games in. We all know its early. Still, I have watched every minute of every game. I barely even notice Stewart is playing. He is a non-factor most of the time. He'll show flashes of effort on offense, making nice attempts but failing to connect with Roy. But it is only flashes. If he goes on and scores 12 in 12, then he'll finally be using the skill set everyone here knows he has. I'm more concerned with how he does over 98+ games (82 the most important 16 or more to win the cup). What I have seen, or more to the point, not seen is not promising. It is only 7 games, true. Just looking at his stats, that could be explained by bad luck and a drought. But I want to see effort every game. He's played 7 games at 10+ minutes a game and only given 2 minutes of what looks like true effort. That is enough for me to say somebody needs to light a fire under him.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Stewart isn't new to the league - he has a body of work. There is a reason he was traded, and it wasn't because his play was stellar.

To say "it's only seven games" is to ignore the player's body of work for his career. He's been consistently inconsistent - you can't dispute that fact.

He picked up where he left off last year (and that's not a good thing) and if it doesn't change fast he needs to move over for someone who will give more consistent effort and results.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

18tonytwist
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by 18tonytwist »

Ok...we are now 9 games in and still no further production.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Stewart+Jackman to the Rangers for McDonagh. Do it, Army!
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024