Bigger and bigger sissies...

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Bigger and bigger sissies...

Post by sseagle »

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=434817

Helmets off, fight over... (Frank) THIS SHIT
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Bigger and bigger sissies...

Post by STLADOGG »

Fighting should always be in hockey. (Frank) all this player safety bullshit about the helmets during fighting.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I'm a firm believer the main people who are pushing these new rules about visors and helmet removal and such: 1) Have never competitively played the game 2) Have hopped on the NFL concussion bandwagon without understanding or caring to compare or appreciate the possible differences between the two sports 3) Due to #1, see fighting as a barbaric activity and not a part of the game that allows players to self-regulate their own sport.

On the great list of things we as fans can control (i.e. not much)... this falls outside of that.

And I think fighting will continue no matter what. See, e.g., Backes v. Toews from 2010 I think it was. Both wearing visors. Both went. Hell, college players fight from time to time with full cages. I don't think it'll ever leave the game. Or so I hope. In about a decade or so though it'll be pretty tough to find two enforcers without visors :roll:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

HEY NHL RULEMAKERS: HOCKEY IS A CONTACT SPORT. GO BACK TO CURLING WHERE YALL BELONG!
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

This is stupid. If they want to get ride of fighting just ban the damn thing already...

I think players should just fight with the gloves on now... Hell I bet getting knocked up the side of the helmet with a big ol glove will knock your head harder than a fist to visor now...

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

STLADOGG wrote:Fighting should always be in hockey. (Frank) all this player safety bullshit about the helmets during fighting.
So, the 3 players that died within a very short stretch a couple of summers ago, we don't take them into account? One was self medicating, the others died via suicide. I know you can't link fighting and their deaths in a straight line, but the more research shows, the more we see repeated blows to the head cause mood swings, depression, concussions, etc. All three of those guys were grinders/fighters. It's a small sample size, I know. I'm all for keeping fighting in the game. But in this day and age, the NHL has to address safety concerns when it comes to head/brain injuries. It's not 'hopping on the NFL's bandwagon' so much as taking the proper measure to use the medical research they've got and make the right decisions. If they don't, they'll face a much larger backlash than they already are, not counting lawsuits, etc.

I know I'm going to get ripped for this. It doesn't mean I support 'sissifying' the sport or whatever you call it. But you can't ignore what's out there, it's irresponsible as a league to do so. Every sport is taking more precaution when it comes to head and brain injuries, for the NHL to not do so would be another black eye for the league. The NFL, the country's most powerful sport is being torn to shreds for their behavior and disregard for the signs. So for the NHL not to look into this information, it would be a huge misstep, in my opinion.

Go ahead, yell at me all you want.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

dmiles2186 wrote:Go ahead, yell at me all you want.
:x Screw you and your logic!!! :lol: :lol: :wink:

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:Fighting should always be in hockey. (Frank) all this player safety bullshit about the helmets during fighting.
So, the 3 players that died within a very short stretch a couple of summers ago, we don't take them into account? One was self medicating, the others died via suicide. I know you can't link fighting and their deaths in a straight line, but the more research shows, the more we see repeated blows to the head cause mood swings, depression, concussions, etc. All three of those guys were grinders/fighters. It's a small sample size, I know. I'm all for keeping fighting in the game. But in this day and age, the NHL has to address safety concerns when it comes to head/brain injuries. It's not 'hopping on the NFL's bandwagon' so much as taking the proper measure to use the medical research they've got and make the right decisions. If they don't, they'll face a much larger backlash than they already are, not counting lawsuits, etc.

I know I'm going to get ripped for this. It doesn't mean I support 'sissifying' the sport or whatever you call it. But you can't ignore what's out there, it's irresponsible as a league to do so. Every sport is taking more precaution when it comes to head and brain injuries, for the NHL to not do so would be another black eye for the league. The NFL, the country's most powerful sport is being torn to shreds for their behavior and disregard for the signs. So for the NHL not to look into this information, it would be a huge misstep, in my opinion.

Go ahead, yell at me all you want.
From what I've read, an overwhelming majority of the players also side with the fans on this issue, even though they are the ones that the league is trying to protect from themselves. The people pushing for and making these rules do not understand the game, and therefore do not understand the way of life as a player and the many intricacies that go in to competing in a hockey game. As a player I would feel pretty pissed if a bunch of suits were tinkering with the game that I had dedicated my entire life to just to appease a crowd of people who also probably don't understand the sport. The players are fully aware of the dangers that they submit themselves to and the potential consequences. Theirs is the only outcry that should be considered, not some executives trying to maintain their image in a PC world.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes