GDT #13: 11/5/13 > Blues @ Canadiens > 6:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #13: 11/5/13 > Blues @ Canadiens > 6:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

BLUES (8-2-2) at CANADIENS (8-7-0)

TV: RDS, TSN, FS-MW

Last 10: St. Louis 6-2-2; Montreal 5-5-0

Season series: This is the first of two meetings between the Montreal Canadiens and St. Louis Blues. The two teams have not met since Jan. 10, 2012, a 3-0 Blues win at Bell Centre.

Big story: That shutout victory 22 months ago was the first time Blues goaltender Jaroslav Halak played in Montreal since he was traded to St. Louis by the Canadiens in the summer of 2010. Halak was named first star and received a standing ovation from the crowd that night, but nearly two years have passed since and Canadiens goalie Carey Price is off to an excellent start to the season. Montreal has scored one goal against Halak in two meetings since the trade, and Price is looking for his victory against his former teammate.

“It was my first game back after I got traded,” Halak told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Monday. “It’s always nice to remind myself that it was a great game, but it’s the past. They’ve got a different team now and it’s a different challenge, every game for us and for them, so I’m sure it’s going to be a big game [Tuesday]."

Team scope:

Blues: Coming off a 4-2 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning on Saturday, the team’s first regulation loss in seven games, Blues coach Ken Hitchcock broke up one of the more effective scoring lines in the NHL at practice Monday in an effort to balance the scoring on his team.

The line of T.J. Oshie, David Backes and Alexander Steen has accounted for 20 of the 43 goals scored this season by the Blues, with 12 coming from Steen alone. But Hitchcock removed Oshie from the line to play him with Derek Roy and Vladimir Sobotka, while Chris Stewart grabbed Oshie’s spot on the top line.

“I’m going to say it again, for us to get better, we need more participants,” Hitchcock told the Post-Dispatch. “So sometimes it doesn’t matter how good you have one line, you need more participants. Possibly it’s the time that they use their impact to help other people play better. We need that. We need more people playing better.”

Canadiens: Canadiens coach Michel Therrien also did some line-juggling at practice Monday, placing Alex Galchenyuk at center of the top line with Max Pacioretty and Brendan Gallagher, while Lars Eller shifted down to the third line between Rene Bourque and Louis Leblanc.

Galchenyuk was moved to his natural center position on that line in the third period of a 4-1 loss Saturday at the Colorado Avalanche when Therrien decided to bench center David Desharnais, who is at risk of being a healthy scratch against St. Louis.

The Canadiens have been reluctant to play Galchenyuk at center because they wanted his transition to the NHL to be a smooth one, but it appears the time for him to make that next transition has arrived.

“I’ve liked his development since last season,” Therrien said. “He’s gained some confidence and he’s gained some comprehension of the game. We’ve been thinking about [moving him to center] for a while, but we needed to find the right moment.

“It just so happened that moment was the third period of the last game. I liked what I saw.”

Who’s hot: For the Blues, Steen has scored at least goal in all but two games in this season, and he has at least a point in all but one game…For the Canadiens, Brendan Gallagher has a goal in two straight games and defenseman P.K. Subban has three points in two games.

Injury report: The Blues will be without forwards Magnus Paajarvi (upper body) and Brenden Morrow (upper body)…The Canadiens will be without forwards Daniel Briere (concussion), Brandon Prust (shoulder) and Travis Moen (face), and defensemen Alexei Emelin (knee) and Davis Drewiske (shoulder).

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT #13: 11/5/13 > Blues @ Canadiens > 6:30 PM > FSMW/KM

Post by sseagle »

Oh Canada, our home and native land, true patriot love, in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts, we see the rise, the true north strong and free, from far and wide, oh Canada we stand on guard for thee!

Ps (Frank) the Canadians!!

We best get some oh Canada action tonight.
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

sseagle wrote:Oh Canada, our home and native land, true patriot love, in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts, we see the rise, the true north strong and free, from far and wide, oh Canada we stand on guard for thee!

Wait, do you mean the Canadians or the Canadiens? :wink:

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

gaijin wrote:
sseagle wrote:Oh Canada, our home and native land, true patriot love, in all thy sons command.

Wait, do you mean the Canadians or the Canadiens? :wink:

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:
YES

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

I hope we win tonight.

Oh...we did. The lack of gametime commentary threw me off.

YAY! 2 PTS! :letsgoblues: :fischerugly: :woohoo: :zelda: :fight: :hailchecketts: :blues: :mustard:
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Oshie=Money in the shootout.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

How the hell did the ref determine Backes intentionally dislodged the net? That almost cost us the game right there...
I'll take the two points.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

abc789987 wrote:How the hell did the ref determine Backes intentionally dislodged the net? That almost cost us the game right there...
I was wondering that too. Seems an awfully sketchy call for so late in the game. And earlier, letting the goal stand after Halak got knocked over by Markov... WTF?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

gaijin wrote:
abc789987 wrote:How the hell did the ref determine Backes intentionally dislodged the net? That almost cost us the game right there...
I was wondering that too. Seems an awfully sketchy call for so late in the game. And earlier, letting the goal stand after Halak got knocked over by Markov... WTF?
When Halak was bowled over by Markov, he was shoved by Sobotka, so that goal will stand every time. But the net thing was questionable. I guess the ref could have see him extend his arm to brace for impact and assumed he just reached out and took the goal off the moorings, but either way, we got 2 points.

The game probably shouldn't have been as close as it was. The Blues were by far the better team in the 1st period, but only cashed in one goal. After that, the ice tilted and the Blues were chasing the game. Lucky to get a goal late to tie and get it to OT.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

So the first goal for Montreal was because Halak got kneed in the freaking face at the initial save, and the second because Bouwmeister made a turnover that he probably won't make again all year. Montreal also got a ridiculous penalty shot call that you won't see in another NHL game this year.

And St. Louis still got two points. Let that sink in for a second.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

The problem is that there is no consistency with goaltender interference. I've seen much lesser incidents result in goals called off. Including ones where a player was tied up with another player.

What counts as goaltender interference? Who knows. Flip a coin!

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

kodos wrote:The problem is that there is no consistency with goaltender interference. I've seen much lesser incidents result in goals called off. Including ones where a player was tied up with another player.

What counts as goaltender interference? Who knows. Flip a coin!
It's goaltender interference if the blues would get a goal out of said incident.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

This was a poorly officiated game all around. I really thought a few of those calls against the Habs were questionable... and then the interference thing and penalty shot thing happened and it all balanced out.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Yeah that Penalty shot call was THE WORST CALL EVER! I've never seen a worse call than that. Give him a 2 minute penalty, I could see that. But a penalty shot? Terrible. I mean the freaking Blues had possession of the puck before and after the net came off.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

Terible calls all night by the refs, but it was a fun game to watch even if the Blues only played in the 1st and OT. Not really sure what we were doing in the 2nd and 3rd but a fun game no the less. Bet the Habs wish they had Price/Halak tandem still.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

I'll defer to those who know the rulebook better- are the refs supposed to call a penalty shot if a player deliberately dislodges the net? Or is it supposed to be a standard 2-minute delay of game penalty?

I still say it's pretty damn sketchy for the refs to claim Backes deliberately dislodged the net on that play. Wonder if that call will get reviewed by the league. [/sarcasm]

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

gaijin wrote:I'll defer to those who know the rulebook better- are the refs supposed to call a penalty shot if a player deliberately dislodges the net? Or is it supposed to be a standard 2-minute delay of game penalty?

I still say it's pretty damn sketchy for the refs to claim Backes deliberately dislodged the net on that play. Wonder if that call will get reviewed by the league. [/sarcasm]
I don't really know the rule either, but I think the penalty shot had something to do with it being in the final minute of the period. Normally I think it's just a 2 minute minor. I could be (and probably am) wrong though. I thought Kelly/Pang mentioned the time being part of it.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
gaijin wrote:I'll defer to those who know the rulebook better- are the refs supposed to call a penalty shot if a player deliberately dislodges the net? Or is it supposed to be a standard 2-minute delay of game penalty?

I don't really know the rule either, but I think the penalty shot had something to do with it being in the final minute of the period. Normally I think it's just a 2 minute minor. I could be (and probably am) wrong though. I thought Kelly/Pang mentioned the time being part of it.
Yeah, it's because it was with less then two mins left in the game.
63.5 Penalty Shot
If by reason of insufficient time in the regular playing time or by reason of penalties already imposed, the minor penalty assessed to a player for deliberately displacing his own goal post cannot be served in its entirety within the regular playing time of the game or at any time in overtime, a penalty shot shall be awarded against the offending team.

peoriabluesfan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by peoriabluesfan »

ViPeRx007 wrote:Yeah, it's because it was with less then two mins left in the game.
63.5 Penalty Shot

If by reason of insufficient time in the regular playing time or by reason of penalties already imposed, the minor penalty assessed to a player for deliberately displacing his own goal post cannot be served in its entirety within the regular playing time of the game or at any time in overtime, a penalty shot shall be awarded against the offending team.
That is a little unclear. Why couldn't the 2 minute penalty be concluded in overtime? The NHL needs to look at the wording of some of it's rules. I guess that since the refs couldn't be sure the game would reach overtime then that is why they awarded the penalty shot?

STLADOGG wrote:Yeah that Penalty shot call was THE WORST CALL EVER! I've never seen a worse call than that. Give him a 2 minute penalty, I could see that. But a penalty shot? Terrible. I mean the freaking Blues had possession of the puck before and after the net came off.
The ref down low watched Backes hit the net and made no call on the play. It was the back ref, whose sightline was obstructed by Backes' body that made the call. If they were doing a good job, they would have conferred and dropped the whole thing. The low ref should have spoken up and said it wasn't a penalty. Have a faceoff in the neutral zone and finish the game.
2015-2016 official LGB sponsor of Martin Havlat
2014-2015 official LGB sponsor of Chris Porter
2013-2014 official LGB sponsor of Chris Porter

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

Petro looked like a beast and played up to his 6.5 million dollar price tag last night. He finished with over 30 minutes and only made one mistake that I can recall. He was moving the puck exceptionally well and it is rubbing off on the entire team, especially the top 2 lines. He is starting to look like a milder version of Pronger.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes