Most Dissapointing Blue this season?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Most Dissapointing Blue this season?

Postby BlueNoteworthy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:17 am

Just curious who you all think is the most disappointing Blue this season. We all know Steen is easily the most impressive. The whole first line is doing well. Although I do wish Osh would shoot more and hence score more. I definitely understand why he isn't with Steen so hot. Petro and Bouwmeester are solid. Vladdy Sobotka is playing great with his tenacity and face-offs. Polak has 3 (Frank) goals :shock: . Halak has played well. So who is the most disappointing. Here are my contenders:

Derek Roy - Ok, I have the opposite of a soft spot in my heart for this guy. I was really disappointed that he was our big free-agent signing. I had hoped for one of the big names in the first big rush. When we did sign him after losing out on others, I though Grabovski would be a better deal (caps signed him for a steal), and great on a Russian-speaking line with Tarasenko. So I might be biased here. Roy has some points, 5 G, 6A, but he is a -3 on a team with a great positive goal differential. He isn't making other players better, which is what he was brought in to do. Grabovski on the other hand has 17 points and a +3, while not playing with Ovechkin most of the time, and was signed for a mill less. The only thing keeping Roy off my pick as a winner is that he has had some great chances the last few games. I just wish he would bury more of them and connect with his set-ups.

Jaden Schwartz - He also has a few points, 3g, 7a. However, given how much hype he was given for his performance during the end of last season, I thought he'd be stepping into his own this season. He is also 9th on the team in ice time at over 16 minutes. I also am not seeing the great missed chances from him. Compared to Tarasenko, who has the same points, 6g, 4a, but with less ice time (13 minutes) and many more great plays that don't connect. Still he is a young, so he hopefully just needs more time.

Brenden Morrow - Management hyped him after the signing. I didn't really expect too much. He's played 11 games, missing a few to injury and I believe a few to healthy scratch, and has 3 points. Not good, but he cost a million and was added as depth, so I'm not that surprised or disappointed.

Chris Stewart - Everyone's favorite choice. See the Stewart is a big fat disappointment thread for all the reasons why. He is not my choice though as he is at least doing some things to help the team. His numbers aren't great 3g, 3a, but he is fighting, trying to make plays and screening the goalie. That is something.

And the Winner (or loser) is......

Patrik Berglund - He has the same number of points as Stewart with 1g, 5a. Only one goal though, and that was in the Panthers game where Thomas was giving goals away free with the purchase of a Gatorade. He only has 2 points in the last 13 games. I am not sure that he is doing anything to contribute. I have watched all but two games this year and those 2 I watched extended highlights. It has been a long time since I have seen him doing good work. I decided to post this because tonight was one of the games I watched the highlights, and he was only in there for 2 plays he flubbed. Nobody is talking about his poor play or any of his play, unlike Stewart who is under a microscope. Like Steen Berglund is also in a contract year with a one-year prove yourself deal. He is not proving himself and I wonder if he will be a Blue next year despite being a restricted free agent. They won't sign him to a one year deal because he would be a UFA next year. I doubt he'll sign a long-term deal at the price these numbers are showing him to be worth. So what happens? He still has time to turn it around for sure. At the almost quarter point in the season though, for me, he is by far the most disappointing guy for the Blues this season :facepalm: . We all knew Stewart was streaky and lazy. I really thought Berglund would have a good year on his prove it deal. He was trying early and not getting the bounces, but then he just disappeared, only showing up to blow a great pass from his linemates now and then.

So what are your thoughts?
BlueNoteworthy
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:04 am

Re: Most Dissapointing Blue this season?

Postby Oaklandblue » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:37 am

No one. Everyone has contributed, either in goals, dropping gloves or helping to or creating chances to score.
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Image
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: Most Dissapointing Blue this season?

Postby BlueNoteworthy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:02 am

What has Berglund done specifically? He hasn't dropped gloves or really set anyone up. He is a -4 with 2 secondary assists and 6 minor penalties over the last 13 games. He's still getting 15 minutes a game.

I don't mean this to be a negative thread. Blues are doing great, and I am happy about that. I am just nervous about another great regular season and playoff collapse. The first line is pulling way more than their share of the weight. I hope they can keep that up. It just seems unlikely they can keep up this exact pace. The Blues are not built like a team to have one line carry them. They are built to roll 4 lines and have everyone carry their own weight. So at the quarter point of the season, I think it is fair to really look hard at who isn't doing so.

To me, it is AMAZING how nobody is talking about how non-existent Berglund is. I like the guy a lot. I had high hopes for him. He's a stud in my NHL 14 video game season because I like him so much, I tend to favor shooting with him. But in reality, I can't say he is contributing. If you disagree, that is great. I am just curious as to the specific reasons why for him.
BlueNoteworthy
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:04 am

Re: Most Dissapointing Blue this season?

Postby tjk002 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:46 am

Berglund. Not even close. He has cost us points this season with his laziness/lack of intensity in our own zone.
tjk002
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:32 pm
Location: Section 315, Row 1

Re: Most Dissapointing Blue this season?

Postby Oaklandblue » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:11 pm

Now watch, now that Bergy's name has come up, he's going to go on a scoring/assist streak and everyone's going to say how wonderful he is :doh:
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Image
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: Most Dissapointing Blue this season?

Postby gaijin » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:37 pm

Oaklandblue wrote:Now watch, now that Bergy's name has come up, he's going to go on a scoring/assist streak and everyone's going to say how wonderful he is :doh:


OshieTarasenkoStewartReavesBackesSobotkaMorrowSchwartz
Image
User avatar
gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 2687
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:46 pm
Location: An undisclosed location in SW Asia

Re: Most Dissapointing Blue this season?

Postby Oaklandblue » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:21 pm

Most disappointing for me is wondering how long this has plagued him: http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nhl/Pat ... day-to-day

But the Good News: Paaj is in the lineup!
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Image
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: Most Dissapointing Blue this season?

Postby Oaklandblue » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:22 pm

gaijin wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:Now watch, now that Bergy's name has come up, he's going to go on a scoring/assist streak and everyone's going to say how wonderful he is :doh:


OshieTarasenkoStewartReavesBackesSobotkaMorrowSchwartz


Gee, I wonder if any of these people ever sucked....hmmmmmmmm. There's a difference between a slump and a disappointment. Everyone expects a goal-a-day player. Doesn't work that way.
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Image
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: Most Dissapointing Blue this season?

Postby Krigloch the Furious » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:03 pm

I'm ready for Berglund to be gone.
Dude never scores, and has plenty of chances
User avatar
Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1463
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:58 pm
Location: Springfield, IL

Re: Most Dissapointing Blue this season?

Postby BlueNoteworthy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:03 pm

Yes, there is a difference between a slump and a disappointment. A slumping player can do other things to help the team. I gave other players in my first post credit for trying to make things happen and just not getting the bounces. I said Sobotka was one of the good ones and he has far less than a point per game (8 in 18), but he is doing other good things. Berglund is non-existent in games. I asked what he has specifically done to help the team, and got no response to that.

A slump lasts 5-8 games, not 13. I don't expect a point per game, but I do expect first round picks who are top 6 forward making $3+ million to score more than 27 points in a season. That's Berglund and Stewart's pace. The two top goal scorers for the Blues last year are on pace for 27 points. Both of them have all the skills to do better. Both are big, skate well, and have good hands. They should be dominant, not a goon and a hole on the roster.

I am sick of the Blues getting the participation ribbon. I want to see them hoist the cup. As a Blues fan for almost 20 years, I have seen plenty of guys "slump" for long stretches. I have seen plenty of promise and plenty of wasted potential. I want to see realized potential. I want to see a cup. They have a team that can do that if they play to their potential. So when I see players who are trying to prove they deserve the money they are being given or want to get in the future not showing up, I'll call them out every time. To me, that is part of being a fan.

I like Berglund a lot. He seems like a good guy. He is fun to watch when he is on his game. I hope he turns it around and gets a streak. If he does, I'll gladly praise him. He has the skills to do it. But as long as he plays like this, I'll keep calling him out.
BlueNoteworthy
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:04 am

Re: Most Dissapointing Blue this season?

Postby Oaklandblue » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:07 pm

BlueNoteworthy wrote:Yes, there is a difference between a slump and a disappointment. A slumping player can do other things to help the team. I gave other players in my first post credit for trying to make things happen and just not getting the bounces. I said Sobotka was one of the good ones and he has far less than a point per game (8 in 18), but he is doing other good things. Berglund is non-existent in games. I asked what he has specifically done to help the team, and got no response to that.

A slump lasts 5-8 games, not 13. I don't expect a point per game, but I do expect first round picks who are top 6 forward making $3+ million to score more than 27 points in a season. That's Berglund and Stewart's pace. The two top goal scorers for the Blues last year are on pace for 27 points. Both of them have all the skills to do better. Both are big, skate well, and have good hands. They should be dominant, not a goon and a hole on the roster.

I am sick of the Blues getting the participation ribbon. I want to see them hoist the cup. As a Blues fan for almost 20 years, I have seen plenty of guys "slump" for long stretches. I have seen plenty of promise and plenty of wasted potential. I want to see realized potential. I want to see a cup. They have a team that can do that if they play to their potential. So when I see players who are trying to prove they deserve the money they are being given or want to get in the future not showing up, I'll call them out every time. To me, that is part of being a fan.

I like Berglund a lot. He seems like a good guy. He is fun to watch when he is on his game. I hope he turns it around and gets a streak. If he does, I'll gladly praise him. He has the skills to do it. But as long as he plays like this, I'll keep calling him out.


I don't expect backup goaltenders that we paid nothing for to suddenly shoot out the stars and be the team's lone All-Star either, but it happened. Yeah, pay should equal performance, I'll agree to that any day of the week, but who exactly does Bergy have on his line that's a setup man because Bergy plays a hell of a lot like a sniper (let's be honest here, with his stats, he is being paid to score), like he's setting up to shoot but plays on lines with people like Tank and Schwartz, who aren't really setup people. I think Paaj is the man for this and it'd be nice to have both healthy and playing. I think Bergy's issue is that and if you can't find the way to ignite that dynamite, Bergy will take over. He's not a goon, he's not a high physical presence person, he honestly never was. Yes, he could do ALOT MORE than he is now, but what is Hitch's plan with him?

Like you said, there's alot of WTF going on (A scoring Polak?!), and I really think the team's biggest 'disappointment' is Hitch wanting to change things up. The team isn't riding the way it was, and I'm wondering about the changes and also, why.
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Image
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: Most Dissapointing Blue this season?

Postby STLADOGG » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:33 pm

Steen.
Image
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Roman Polak
TW Tiger Woods TW
User avatar
STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2030
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:41 pm
Location: -Saint Freaking Louis-

Re: Most Dissapointing Blue this season?

Postby ViPeRx007 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:39 am

The most disappointing Blue is the fans. Yea, I consider the fans a part of the team and the attendance so far this season has been abysmal. Also, this thread exists so that's another strike against them.

The Blues on the ice have lost 3 games in regulation (as of this post). I don't have much to complain about there. Sure, some players could be doing more, but that's how it is on every team, even the best ones. I guess I just choose to focus more on the positive. I'm kind of a weird person though.
Image
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
User avatar
ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
 
Posts: 9209
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: Billings, MT

Re: Most Dissapointing Blue this season?

Postby Oaklandblue » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:49 am

ViPeRx007 wrote:The most disappointing Blue is the fans. Yea, I consider the fans a part of the team and the attendance so far this season has been abysmal. Also, this thread exists so that's another strike against them.

The Blues on the ice have lost 3 games in regulation (as of this post). I don't have much to complain about there. Sure, some players could be doing more, but that's how it is on every team, even the best ones. I guess I just choose to focus more on the positive. I'm kind of a weird person though.


See, this is where I'm coming from too.
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Image
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: Most Dissapointing Blue this season?

Postby BlueNoteworthy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:07 am

Yes. I can see the positivity just dripping off of you in waves ViPeRx007. Let me show you some examples of your positivity, as you never have a bad thing to say about the Blues or any member of their team.

ViPeRx007 wrote:Game Summary
This thing blew.

Highlights
Nothing but lowlights.

Turning Point
Apparently it was when we traded Ben Bishop to the (edited to appease glen: Senators who ended up trading him to the) Lightning so he could repeatedly shut us down like a buggy PC.


ViPeRx007 wrote:Glass Joe is back! I can't wait for him to get injured in his first shift!


ViPeRx007 wrote:You can go to hell, Mike Smith.


ViPeRx007 wrote:Tough to complain with a 7-1-2 record but that wasn't a very pretty game by the Blues. Whatever I guess.


ViPeRx007 wrote: Weak ass effort against a weak team. 4 posts in 1 period though is bad luck....but still. It's the Jets. There were stretches of flat out uninspired play and that's really not cool in only the 7th game of the season. Nobody better even start on the "2nd game in as many nights" nonsense either. It's the 7th game of the season, they're professional athletes, they should be able to handle it. I guess they have a week to "rest up" now. :roll:


You are right about one thing though ViPeRx007. It is the fans. But this thread is not proof of the problem. It is more like this post by you....

ViPeRx007 wrote:This pains me to no end, but.... Eastern Conference Champion: Pittsburgh Western Conference Champion: LA Stanley Cup Winner: LA President's Trophy Winner: NY Rangers


See the fans don't even expect us to win. We have a damn good team. Some experts were picking the Blues to win the West, and a great fan like you picks the Kings. Not that you mind as you focus on the positive. "We're going to lose but that's ok, we will play every game. Yay Team, way to participate."

I am apparently one of these awful fans that disappoint you because I started this thread. But I will watch 75+ regular season games. I will travel to see at least 5 games live, and I live nowhere near St. Louis. If I was in St. Louis, I'd have season tickets. When I lived there, I was in grad school, but I scrimped to get the cash to see as many games as I could.

St. Louis supports its teams. It is a great sports town. But they have gone far too long without a Cup. We finally have an owner who is willing to spend money, even though I disagree with some of how they spent it. So yea, I am going to be damn critical of the players who don't seem to be trying as hard as they can to finally give the fans a cup.

In my lifetime, the Blues have only made the conference finals twice and never the cup finals, much less hoisted it. So for me, I am going to be disappointed with anything other than a Cup. I am sick of focusing on the positive, when that big negative is still out there. The Blues have never won a cup.

And while they only have 6 losses (here's me, not being an optimist but a realist and calling a loss a loss no matter when it occurs), they are being absolutely carried by a guy who has never done anything near what he is doing. When other teams are carried by top players, its because they expect it and build their team around it. They often split their top players to the top 2 lines to avoid being shut down. I can't think of a cup winner with only one decent line ('hawks split Kane and Toews up most of the time). If someone else on the Blues does not pick up the pace, the Blues will be in real trouble come playoff time when teams have lots of time and incentive to gameplan how to stop Steen or when he cools off.

I am done with this forum. There are some cool people, but mostly idiots like you who would rather say screw this team or that guy than have an intelligent discussion about the sport and team we all claim to love. I have seen more posts insulting other team's players (Cindy Crosby and Sedin sisters: wow you called them girls, so clever) than saying anything meaningful. Viper, could have just made the comment about how we only have 3 losses (which is true and a valid point) and backed up his argument with more points. That might have led to an interesting discussion. Instead he had to take a shot at me.

Oakandblue, you made a valid point about Berglund's linemates, although I think Tarasenko has had some good set-up attempts. I would have liked to hear your thoughts on line combos that could get Berglund active again. But alas, it is not worth digging through the muck to find the one or two intelligent thoughts a week on here. There are other forums where people don't get insulted if you say something good about another team or negative about yours. dmiles, if you are reading this, you are cool in my book. To the vast majority of the rest of you, enjoy your little jokes and inane banter.
BlueNoteworthy
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:04 am

Re: Most Dissapointing Blue this season?

Postby Oaklandblue » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:04 am

BlueNoteworthy wrote:Yes. I can see the positivity just dripping off of you in waves ViPeRx007. Let me show you some examples of your positivity, as you never have a bad thing to say about the Blues or any member of their team.

ViPeRx007 wrote:Game Summary
This thing blew.

Highlights
Nothing but lowlights.

Turning Point
Apparently it was when we traded Ben Bishop to the (edited to appease glen: Senators who ended up trading him to the) Lightning so he could repeatedly shut us down like a buggy PC.


ViPeRx007 wrote:Glass Joe is back! I can't wait for him to get injured in his first shift!


ViPeRx007 wrote:You can go to hell, Mike Smith.


ViPeRx007 wrote:Tough to complain with a 7-1-2 record but that wasn't a very pretty game by the Blues. Whatever I guess.


ViPeRx007 wrote: Weak ass effort against a weak team. 4 posts in 1 period though is bad luck....but still. It's the Jets. There were stretches of flat out uninspired play and that's really not cool in only the 7th game of the season. Nobody better even start on the "2nd game in as many nights" nonsense either. It's the 7th game of the season, they're professional athletes, they should be able to handle it. I guess they have a week to "rest up" now. :roll:


You are right about one thing though ViPeRx007. It is the fans. But this thread is not proof of the problem. It is more like this post by you....

ViPeRx007 wrote:This pains me to no end, but.... Eastern Conference Champion: Pittsburgh Western Conference Champion: LA Stanley Cup Winner: LA President's Trophy Winner: NY Rangers


See the fans don't even expect us to win. We have a damn good team. Some experts were picking the Blues to win the West, and a great fan like you picks the Kings. Not that you mind as you focus on the positive. "We're going to lose but that's ok, we will play every game. Yay Team, way to participate."

I am apparently one of these awful fans that disappoint you because I started this thread. But I will watch 75+ regular season games. I will travel to see at least 5 games live, and I live nowhere near St. Louis. If I was in St. Louis, I'd have season tickets. When I lived there, I was in grad school, but I scrimped to get the cash to see as many games as I could.

St. Louis supports its teams. It is a great sports town. But they have gone far too long without a Cup. We finally have an owner who is willing to spend money, even though I disagree with some of how they spent it. So yea, I am going to be damn critical of the players who don't seem to be trying as hard as they can to finally give the fans a cup.

In my lifetime, the Blues have only made the conference finals twice and never the cup finals, much less hoisted it. So for me, I am going to be disappointed with anything other than a Cup. I am sick of focusing on the positive, when that big negative is still out there. The Blues have never won a cup.

And while they only have 6 losses (here's me, not being an optimist but a realist and calling a loss a loss no matter when it occurs), they are being absolutely carried by a guy who has never done anything near what he is doing. When other teams are carried by top players, its because they expect it and build their team around it. They often split their top players to the top 2 lines to avoid being shut down. I can't think of a cup winner with only one decent line ('hawks split Kane and Toews up most of the time). If someone else on the Blues does not pick up the pace, the Blues will be in real trouble come playoff time when teams have lots of time and incentive to gameplan how to stop Steen or when he cools off.

I am done with this forum. There are some cool people, but mostly idiots like you who would rather say screw this team or that guy than have an intelligent discussion about the sport and team we all claim to love. I have seen more posts insulting other team's players (Cindy Crosby and Sedin sisters: wow you called them girls, so clever) than saying anything meaningful. Viper, could have just made the comment about how we only have 3 losses (which is true and a valid point) and backed up his argument with more points. That might have led to an interesting discussion. Instead he had to take a shot at me.

Oakandblue, you made a valid point about Berglund's linemates, although I think Tarasenko has had some good set-up attempts. I would have liked to hear your thoughts on line combos that could get Berglund active again. But alas, it is not worth digging through the muck to find the one or two intelligent thoughts a week on here. There are other forums where people don't get insulted if you say something good about another team or negative about yours. dmiles, if you are reading this, you are cool in my book. To the vast majority of the rest of you, enjoy your little jokes and inane banter.


I think everyone here feels the same as you, in one way or another. There is alot of Apathy in the fanbase, which is understandable when your ownership situation changes every 5-10 years. You build up, tear down, sell. Build up, tear down, sell. There's been no long-running ownership so that the team grows over time, which has helped most not only win Cups, but also build dynasties (Yeah, you look at say, Detroit. Those Cups and that dynasty was 55 years in the making, same ownership). The fans are waiting for the foot to drop and the truth, the real truth, is simple: This team ain't winning a Cup this year.

They play sloppy. They play inconsistant. They have tools that are misused, ignored or assigned poorly which has resulted in the play we're seeing, a red-hot scoring Polak, an agitator Stewart, etc. Steen has turned the corner and is doing what we expected Schwartz to do, and Steen....man, that's been FIVE years in the making. People have ignored Steen forever and the truth is, the guy has always had the goods, but needed time and a line that he can connect and make dynamite with. Players like Bergy benefit from that and as for Bergy - Roy and Osh. Bergy is not a true Center, I don't care what anyone says. At wing, I think he's a force to be reckoned with.

Halak gets alot of credit for playing very average, almost backup stats at goal. Two games ago he was sitting at .897 on a team with iirc a 12-2 record. .897 with the D we have doesn't say alot about your goalie. He's .907 now, which may good enough for all of you, but with this group, it's not going to win us a Cup.

And the Ken Hitchcock we need isn't this goombah we got, it's the Dallas Stars Hitchcock we need, but Ken wants to continue to play a parody of instead of the mustached real deal. He doesn't press hard enough, he doesn't demand the best, he skates along like Berglund or Stewart do. No bag skate. No benching. Nothing.

The fans pay how much for seats, give the team how much of their time and are taking for empty promises and players put on a pedestal who can't win against a team like the Jets.

Maybe they should move and start over.

See, the mistake in all of this is demanding the fans believe in something even they see as a lie. When the greatest moment in Blues History is a series we LOST (The Monday Night Miracle), it's really hard to expect the fanbase to do much more, after 40+ years, than to show Apathy, especially when there's a laundry list of players wearing the note in the HoF or go on to teams and win the Cup there (Prongs, for instance).

Frankly, the majority of Blues fans I have met in person have the exact same demeanor about the team as Viper and many others have expressed and it's a demanor that IS EARNED, not given, because of the team's history and the organization and its owners don't care enough to win, because at the end of the day it's a business to them, not a team. And there's always next year.

But I will say this:

I'm not from St. Louis and I've never had the privilidge to be in the Barn, never had the prilidge to watch Mike Liut or The Wick play and catch games when I can in person at the Shark Tank, and I don't give a damn if they ever win a Cup, because they're my team. Those of you in the STL consider yourselves fortunate because my Seals moved a long time ago and the Sharks can go to Hell. The fact the Blues exist and they play is more than enough for me and if through some twist of fate they end up being moved or dissolved, I'll keep wearing the Note because it'll always remind me of times in my life when things didn't go the way I wanted them to or went badly but at the end of it, you keep going and you keep moving along - just like the Blues. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose but at the end of it, you're still moving along. You're not giving up and everytime they lace up their skates, everytime they put on the sweaters, they're saying I'm not giving up and moving forward, and that's the kind of thing I wouldn't trade a Cup for. Ever.

Long Live The Note.
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Image
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: Most Dissapointing Blue this season?

Postby sseagle » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:39 am

BlueNoteworthy wrote:Yes. I can see the positivity just dripping off of you in waves ViPeRx007. Let me show you some examples of your positivity, as you never have a bad thing to say about the Blues or any member of their team.

ViPeRx007 wrote:Game Summary
This thing blew.

Highlights
Nothing but lowlights.

Turning Point
Apparently it was when we traded Ben Bishop to the (edited to appease glen: Senators who ended up trading him to the) Lightning so he could repeatedly shut us down like a buggy PC.


ViPeRx007 wrote:Glass Joe is back! I can't wait for him to get injured in his first shift!


ViPeRx007 wrote:You can go to hell, Mike Smith.


ViPeRx007 wrote:Tough to complain with a 7-1-2 record but that wasn't a very pretty game by the Blues. Whatever I guess.


ViPeRx007 wrote: Weak ass effort against a weak team. 4 posts in 1 period though is bad luck....but still. It's the Jets. There were stretches of flat out uninspired play and that's really not cool in only the 7th game of the season. Nobody better even start on the "2nd game in as many nights" nonsense either. It's the 7th game of the season, they're professional athletes, they should be able to handle it. I guess they have a week to "rest up" now. :roll:


You are right about one thing though ViPeRx007. It is the fans. But this thread is not proof of the problem. It is more like this post by you....

ViPeRx007 wrote:This pains me to no end, but.... Eastern Conference Champion: Pittsburgh Western Conference Champion: LA Stanley Cup Winner: LA President's Trophy Winner: NY Rangers


See the fans don't even expect us to win. We have a damn good team. Some experts were picking the Blues to win the West, and a great fan like you picks the Kings. Not that you mind as you focus on the positive. "We're going to lose but that's ok, we will play every game. Yay Team, way to participate."

I am apparently one of these awful fans that disappoint you because I started this thread. But I will watch 75+ regular season games. I will travel to see at least 5 games live, and I live nowhere near St. Louis. If I was in St. Louis, I'd have season tickets. When I lived there, I was in grad school, but I scrimped to get the cash to see as many games as I could.

St. Louis supports its teams. It is a great sports town. But they have gone far too long without a Cup. We finally have an owner who is willing to spend money, even though I disagree with some of how they spent it. So yea, I am going to be damn critical of the players who don't seem to be trying as hard as they can to finally give the fans a cup.

In my lifetime, the Blues have only made the conference finals twice and never the cup finals, much less hoisted it. So for me, I am going to be disappointed with anything other than a Cup. I am sick of focusing on the positive, when that big negative is still out there. The Blues have never won a cup.

And while they only have 6 losses (here's me, not being an optimist but a realist and calling a loss a loss no matter when it occurs), they are being absolutely carried by a guy who has never done anything near what he is doing. When other teams are carried by top players, its because they expect it and build their team around it. They often split their top players to the top 2 lines to avoid being shut down. I can't think of a cup winner with only one decent line ('hawks split Kane and Toews up most of the time). If someone else on the Blues does not pick up the pace, the Blues will be in real trouble come playoff time when teams have lots of time and incentive to gameplan how to stop Steen or when he cools off.

I am done with this forum. There are some cool people, but mostly idiots like you who would rather say screw this team or that guy than have an intelligent discussion about the sport and team we all claim to love. I have seen more posts insulting other team's players (Cindy Crosby and Sedin sisters: wow you called them girls, so clever) than saying anything meaningful. Viper, could have just made the comment about how we only have 3 losses (which is true and a valid point) and backed up his argument with more points. That might have led to an interesting discussion. Instead he had to take a shot at me.

Oakandblue, you made a valid point about Berglund's linemates, although I think Tarasenko has had some good set-up attempts. I would have liked to hear your thoughts on line combos that could get Berglund active again. But alas, it is not worth digging through the muck to find the one or two intelligent thoughts a week on here. There are other forums where people don't get insulted if you say something good about another team or negative about yours. dmiles, if you are reading this, you are cool in my book. To the vast majority of the rest of you, enjoy your little jokes and inane banter.



Someone has WAAAAAY too much time on their hands..
Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Image
User avatar
sseagle
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1949
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:03 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Most Dissapointing Blue this season?

Postby not_a_wings_fan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:10 am

Oaklandblue wrote:Most disappointing for me is wondering how long this has plagued him: http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nhl/Pat ... day-to-day


My understanding is that his "upper body" injury is that he has shit between his ears...which means it's been a problem his entire career.

I am not impressed with Berglund. He's another one of those players with great potential that never seems to play up to it. I would have shopped him or dropped him this off season. I don't care if he goes on a tear for a few games, his career shows that he is at best inconsistent and at worst plain lazy.
Official 2008-2013 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman
Official 2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman
User avatar
not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:27 pm
Location: Anywhere but here

Re: Most Dissapointing Blue this season?

Postby ViPeRx007 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:58 pm

BlueNoteworthy wrote:Yes. I can see the positivity just dripping off of you in waves ViPeRx007. Let me show you some examples of your positivity, as you never have a bad thing to say about the Blues or any member of their team.

ViPeRx007 wrote:Game Summary
This thing blew.

Highlights
Nothing but lowlights.

Turning Point
Apparently it was when we traded Ben Bishop to the (edited to appease glen: Senators who ended up trading him to the) Lightning so he could repeatedly shut us down like a buggy PC.


ViPeRx007 wrote:Glass Joe is back! I can't wait for him to get injured in his first shift!


ViPeRx007 wrote:You can go to hell, Mike Smith.


ViPeRx007 wrote:Tough to complain with a 7-1-2 record but that wasn't a very pretty game by the Blues. Whatever I guess.


ViPeRx007 wrote: Weak ass effort against a weak team. 4 posts in 1 period though is bad luck....but still. It's the Jets. There were stretches of flat out uninspired play and that's really not cool in only the 7th game of the season. Nobody better even start on the "2nd game in as many nights" nonsense either. It's the 7th game of the season, they're professional athletes, they should be able to handle it. I guess they have a week to "rest up" now. :roll:


You are right about one thing though ViPeRx007. It is the fans. But this thread is not proof of the problem. It is more like this post by you....

ViPeRx007 wrote:This pains me to no end, but.... Eastern Conference Champion: Pittsburgh Western Conference Champion: LA Stanley Cup Winner: LA President's Trophy Winner: NY Rangers


See the fans don't even expect us to win. We have a damn good team. Some experts were picking the Blues to win the West, and a great fan like you picks the Kings. Not that you mind as you focus on the positive. "We're going to lose but that's ok, we will play every game. Yay Team, way to participate."

I am apparently one of these awful fans that disappoint you because I started this thread. But I will watch 75+ regular season games. I will travel to see at least 5 games live, and I live nowhere near St. Louis. If I was in St. Louis, I'd have season tickets. When I lived there, I was in grad school, but I scrimped to get the cash to see as many games as I could.

St. Louis supports its teams. It is a great sports town. But they have gone far too long without a Cup. We finally have an owner who is willing to spend money, even though I disagree with some of how they spent it. So yea, I am going to be damn critical of the players who don't seem to be trying as hard as they can to finally give the fans a cup.

In my lifetime, the Blues have only made the conference finals twice and never the cup finals, much less hoisted it. So for me, I am going to be disappointed with anything other than a Cup. I am sick of focusing on the positive, when that big negative is still out there. The Blues have never won a cup.

And while they only have 6 losses (here's me, not being an optimist but a realist and calling a loss a loss no matter when it occurs), they are being absolutely carried by a guy who has never done anything near what he is doing. When other teams are carried by top players, its because they expect it and build their team around it. They often split their top players to the top 2 lines to avoid being shut down. I can't think of a cup winner with only one decent line ('hawks split Kane and Toews up most of the time). If someone else on the Blues does not pick up the pace, the Blues will be in real trouble come playoff time when teams have lots of time and incentive to gameplan how to stop Steen or when he cools off.

I am done with this forum. There are some cool people, but mostly idiots like you who would rather say screw this team or that guy than have an intelligent discussion about the sport and team we all claim to love. I have seen more posts insulting other team's players (Cindy Crosby and Sedin sisters: wow you called them girls, so clever) than saying anything meaningful. Viper, could have just made the comment about how we only have 3 losses (which is true and a valid point) and backed up his argument with more points. That might have led to an interesting discussion. Instead he had to take a shot at me.

Oakandblue, you made a valid point about Berglund's linemates, although I think Tarasenko has had some good set-up attempts. I would have liked to hear your thoughts on line combos that could get Berglund active again. But alas, it is not worth digging through the muck to find the one or two intelligent thoughts a week on here. There are other forums where people don't get insulted if you say something good about another team or negative about yours. dmiles, if you are reading this, you are cool in my book. To the vast majority of the rest of you, enjoy your little jokes and inane banter.


I think you need to lighten up, man. First of all, most of these posts of mine you're referencing (which makes you look like a stalker by the way) are incredibly tongue-in-cheek. But of course, you somehow know everything there is to know about me due to your long tenure here. To think that I've posted 9000+ times on this forum and I don't even like the team....I wonder how that slipped my mind. I've missed 2 games this season due to other commitments, but I've seen all the rest and I'm going to St. Louis in January to watch a couple live. I live in Montana. Stop acting like you're some type of superior fan to everyone else.

Of course I want the Blues to win a cup. I'm upset when they lose, I'm upset when players don't play well, but the problem I have is that you're dooming the season without even letting it play out. You don't have to be a flawless team to win a Stanley Cup, you just have to get hot at the right time and get a little bit of luck along the way. Starting this thread this early is stupid. Maybe at the halfway point, ok, but we haven't even played 20 games yet. There's no possible way to make any predictions. Steen could just stop scoring, Stewart could get hot, Bergie could get hot, Halak could get injured, etc. etc.

Excuse me for just enjoying the ride for a while before I start getting worried about this or that. It must be a lot of fun to be the type of fan you are.

And one other thing about my prediction: the only reason I NEVER pick the Blues on any of those things is completely due to superstition. I have no idea who's going to win. I just took a guess and made sure not to pick the Blues because I'm ridiculously superstitious. If I miss a game and the Blues win, I almost feel like I shouldn't watch the next one because it's going to jinx them...but, yea, I hate this team SO much.
Last edited by ViPeRx007 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
User avatar
ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
 
Posts: 9209
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: Billings, MT

Re: Most Dissapointing Blue this season?

Postby kodos » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:10 pm

It's gotta be Stewart.

My runner up is Paajarvi, who hasn't really disappointed on the ice so much as hasn't amounted to anything at all. I was a big fan of Perron and so far have not been very impressed with his replacement.
Image
User avatar
kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 11889
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:05 pm

Next

Return to St. Louis Blues Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], glen a richter, Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Portland Blues, STLADOGG, WaukeeBlues and 5 guests