GDT #26: 12/2/13 > Blues @ Kings > 9:30 PM > FSMW/NHLN

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT #26: 12/2/13 > Blues @ Kings > 9:30 PM > FSMW/NHLN

Post by Oaklandblue »

I don't think I'm being harsh when I express disgust at us as a team not able to beat the Kings or the Sharks, both our rivals. The last two years the Kings have been able to bounce us out of the playoffs and we STILL can't beat them. I don't care if we have 100-0-0 record, if we can't beat the teams that matter, we're not going anywhere.

As for our record, news flash: Everyone else in the division has a similar record. We lose a handfull of games and we get dropped to the bottom of the pack. That's no achievement. That's us keeping up so we can make the playoffs and we've proven for 25 years that we can do just that. That's not a problem. What's a problem is beating a team like LA. We're not in this for franchise records, trophies or anything else, we're in this to win the Cup.

I was quite tolerant of players like Stewart and Bergy due to believing they have something under the hood. They really don't. They need to go away and spend the 4m on players that will put it on the line sixty minute, every game.

Now, I know we can't do that due to our current situation, but this nonsense needs to be addressed and there needs to be zero tolerance for this crap. I don't see Hitch doing that.

Everyone's like 'Shut up, we've got a winning record'. I'm like 'Screw that, we need to win a Cup'. Otherwise, what's the point, especially when the teams we get nailed with in the playoffs continue to nail us in the regular season? We beat Chicago? IS that something, when we blasted Detroit last year? I mean, seriously, these are nice little things to brag about, but then you're bragging about a game and they're bragging about winning Cups.

Which would you rather do?
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Oaklandblue wrote:I don't think I'm being harsh when I express disgust at us as a team not able to beat the Kings or the Sharks, both our rivals. The last two years the Kings have been able to bounce us out of the playoffs and we STILL can't beat them. I don't care if we have 100-0-0 record, if we can't beat the teams that matter, we're not going anywhere.

As for our record, news flash: Everyone else in the division has a similar record. We lose a handfull of games and we get dropped to the bottom of the pack. That's no achievement. That's us keeping up so we can make the playoffs and we've proven for 25 years that we can do just that. That's not a problem. What's a problem is beating a team like LA. We're not in this for franchise records, trophies or anything else, we're in this to win the Cup.

I was quite tolerant of players like Stewart and Bergy due to believing they have something under the hood. They really don't. They need to go away and spend the 4m on players that will put it on the line sixty minute, every game.

Now, I know we can't do that due to our current situation, but this nonsense needs to be addressed and there needs to be zero tolerance for this crap. I don't see Hitch doing that.

Everyone's like 'Shut up, we've got a winning record'. I'm like 'Screw that, we need to win a Cup'. Otherwise, what's the point, especially when the teams we get nailed with in the playoffs continue to nail us in the regular season? We beat Chicago? IS that something, when we blasted Detroit last year? I mean, seriously, these are nice little things to brag about, but then you're bragging about a game and they're bragging about winning Cups.

Everybody (literally) on this forum would rather win the Cup than have a great regular season. I think where people think some go overboard is not in their desire to have playoff success, but to dismiss the possibility of playoff success based on 2 regular season games. We lost 2 road regular season games to good teams. I wish we hadn't, but that doesn't make us a bad team. It doesn't mean we're going to lose in the playoffs. It just means that twice in a week we played worse than our opponent. That is ALL that it means.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

cardsfan04 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:I don't think I'm being harsh when I express disgust at us as a team not able to beat the Kings or the Sharks, both our rivals. The last two years the Kings have been able to bounce us out of the playoffs and we STILL can't beat them. I don't care if we have 100-0-0 record, if we can't beat the teams that matter, we're not going anywhere.

Everybody (literally) on this forum would rather win the Cup than have a great regular season. I think where people think some go overboard is not in their desire to have playoff success, but to dismiss the possibility of playoff success based on 2 regular season games. We lost 2 road regular season games to good teams. I wish we hadn't, but that doesn't make us a bad team. It doesn't mean we're going to lose in the playoffs. It just means that twice in a week we played worse than our opponent. That is ALL that it means.
How is it going overboard pointing out that, when tested by the teams we need to beat in order to take that next step, we come out flat, get pommeled and attempt to stage a last-minute comeback?

I don't follow this line of thinking. We can walk in and pommel other teams, but the ones we need to, we can't. Why? What's the difference? Why can't we? Is it that we're not as good as we think we are?

I don't think it's overboard to ask that, given that we didn't just lose to two rivals, but got schooled on OUR brand of hockey. What's up with that?
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Oaklandblue wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

How is it going overboard pointing out that, when tested by the teams we need to beat in order to take that next step, we come out flat, get pommeled and attempt to stage a last-minute comeback?

I don't follow this line of thinking. We can walk in and pommel other teams, but the ones we need to, we can't. Why? What's the difference? Why can't we? Is it that we're not as good as we think we are?

I don't think it's overboard to ask that, given that we didn't just lose to two rivals, but got schooled on OUR brand of hockey. What's up with that?
Because you conveniently ignore our wins against Chicago (2), Colorado (2), Boston and Pittsburgh. If your point is that we don't beat good teams, at least look at all of the games against good teams. You can't just cherry pick a couple losses and ignore the wins.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

cardsfan04 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

Because you conveniently ignore our wins against Chicago (2), Colorado (2), Boston and Pittsburgh. If your point is that we don't beat good teams, at least look at all of the games against good teams. You can't just cherry pick a couple losses and ignore the wins.
The two teams we've played in the last two years has been the Sharks and Kings with the Kings being the ones to bounce us out and are honestly the better barometer test. Thus my point.

I mean we are playing well enough to consider the chance that we could win the President's Trophy. Should I mention who we lost to in the first round after we won it?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Oaklandblue wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

The two teams we've played in the last two years has been the Sharks and Kings with the Kings being the ones to bounce us out and are honestly the better barometer test. Thus my point.

I mean we are playing well enough to consider the chance that we could win the President's Trophy. Should I mention who we lost to in the first round after we won it?
I don't see how playing the Sharks in 2000 and 2012 and the Kings in 2012 and 2013 is relevant to who we play in 2014. When you factor in the new playoff structure, I think it's even less relevant. I don't think there is a good way to discredit some games against good teams versus other games against good teams. They should all be viewed the same. It's not like they draw lottery balls to see who we play and give more weight to who we played last year.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

cardsfan04 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

I don't see how playing the Sharks in 2000 and 2012 and the Kings in 2012 and 2013 is relevant to who we play in 2014. When you factor in the new playoff structure, I think it's even less relevant. I don't think there is a good way to discredit some games against good teams versus other games against good teams. They should all be viewed the same. It's not like they draw lottery balls to see who we play and give more weight to who we played last year.
It's very relevant; it's a barometer that shows at what level the team is performing at.
It's very relevant because the Kings have won a Stanley Cup by beating us on the way up.
It's very relevant because we can steamroll other teams but hit a brick wall when we go in against the Kings and so far this year, the Sharks and Caps.
Why are we running into these walls is the question that should be asked.
But everyone is more concerned about our record being as good as it is, without asking critical questions so the weak spots can be identified and shored up.
I'm not posting these things to be negative, I'm posting because I see a red flag. The team plays 60 minutes against the other teams, but these...they start to play 60 minutes 55 minutes into the game.
Why?

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

jebus

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Who is to say this isn't the Blues' year? Speaking of Chicago winning Cups, were they not right there with us just a few short years ago? Years of regular season success, playoff flops, 40+ years of failures and no Cups. And then....GASP! They won a Cup. And oh, the LA Kings. A team that was every bit our equal in the failure department, except for the fact that we had gone to more Stanley Cup Finals than they had. In fact, the year they won the Cup, we dominated them in the regular season. They barely made the playoffs. And then...GASP! They won a Cup.

The point I'm trying to make is that even Cup champions have flaws. Prior to them hoisting that precious piece of hardware for the first time (or in Chicago's case--the first time in a long time), they had the same doubts, questions, and inexperience that these Blues have. To isolate 2 games in November/December and start making grand proclamations about how this team is going to fit in line with all the other past failures? That's friggin' ridiculous.

And speaking of past failures, Vladimir Tarasenko and Jaden Schwartz weren't even teenagers when the Blues lost to the Sharks in 2000. They weren't even in kindergarten when Stevie Y went top shelf. They weren't on this team when the Kings beat us the first time. Half of this team wasn't even alive when the Monday Night Miracle happened, only to be followed by another disappointment. They don't care about the Blues' past failures. It's something we do as fans with our misery, where we lump every team in as a failure until they prove themselves. But fact of the matter is, this team could be different. This team could be the one. And if not? Well, 2 games against the Sharks and the Kings isn't what will decide that.

All I go off of is the now, and right now, the Blues are one of the best teams in the West, which makes them one of the best in hockey. It doesn't mean they won't stumble. It doesn't mean they won't take some bad losses. But that's what makes the Cup the hardest, and best, trophy to win. The team that can survive injury, adversity, bad losses, tough opponents, is the one that can skate a victory lap. And that team isn't the same as the ones that came before it, or the ones that will come after. Again, who is to say that this isn't the year? We won't know until the Blues have lost for the 4th time in a playoff series...or after they win their 16th game of the postseason.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Oaklandblue wrote:
It's very relevant; it's a barometer that shows at what level the team is performing at.
It's very relevant because the Kings have won a Stanley Cup by beating us on the way up.
It's very relevant because we can steamroll other teams but hit a brick wall when we go in against the Kings and so far this year, the Sharks and Caps.
Why are we running into these walls is the question that should be asked.
But everyone is more concerned about our record being as good as it is, without asking critical questions so the weak spots can be identified and shored up.
I'm not posting these things to be negative, I'm posting because I see a red flag. The team plays 60 minutes against the other teams, but these...they start to play 60 minutes 55 minutes into the game.
Why?
Games against the defending champs, defending East champs and current East leaders aren't barometers?

Also, let's look at how we stumble against the Sharks:

2011-12: 4-0 regular season, won playoff series against them
2013: 2-1 regular season
2013-14: 0-2 regular season

Yeah, we lost to them twice. But, we've beaten them up the past 2 seasons.

My point is this. It's fine to be critical, but at least try to look at the whole story. And, try to be consistent. Yeah, we are 0-2 vs Sharks and have a loss against the Caps and Kings too. But, we're 2-0 against the Blackhawks, 2-0 against the Avalanche, and have wins against Boston and Pittsburgh as well. They are just as good of barometers for where we are as a team as the 4 games you are pointing to. And, if you're going to bring up the past 2 seasons as fodder for why we struggle against the Kings, if yo're also going to say we struggle against the Sharks, you need to look at the last 2 years against them as well.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I think it's important to check our progress against teams likely to be there in the playoffs, but I also think it's important to remember that these are not playoff games. The team has plenty of time to work on their issues and keep going.

You can chill on the chicken little shit. They play the full schedule for a reason, let's just let it play out and see what we have. There's still a trade deadline, btw.

I am disgusted by Berglund and Stewart as well, but there are hockey minds greater than mine who believe they are the best options for the team. /shrug - we will see.

There are lots of signs of progress on this team. Most importantly, we can score a bit better this year. We died in the playoffs the last two years because we were unable to convert on the chances we created - and we had LOTS of them. The playoffs have been heartbreaking not because we lost, but because we did everything well except score goals - a bounce here or there and it's a parade down Market Street. The difference between STL and the teams that win the cup has been that they buried their chances and we didn't. That's really it.

We aren't going to win every game. Don't read too much in to it.

Go back and watch the game where Detroit turned the corner on Colorado (March 26, 1997) and started their run of great success. It's an epic game and there is nothing to say the Blues can't have a similar ah-ha moment. (queue the "take on me" references, lol).
[youtube][/youtube]
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Remember that one time when the Flyers went 82-0 and then swept the playoffs to win the cup? That's what needs to happen in order for me to be happy. I don't care if that was a commercial or not.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:Remember that one time when the Flyers went 82-0 and then swept the playoffs to win the cup? That's what needs to happen in order for me to be happy. I don't care if that was a commercial or not.
At least half of those need to be shutouts too.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Okay Okay Okay, I get it.

Changing subject, why don't we sit down Bergy and call up Aucoin? He's a Center, he's got some good numbers and some tread left on his tires. Whatchall think?

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Oaklandblue wrote:Okay Okay Okay, I get it.

Changing subject, why don't we sit down Bergy and call up Aucoin? He's a Center, he's got some good numbers and some tread left on his tires. Whatchall think?
I would rather sit stewart and move Bergy to the wing to see what he can do there. I think he may be playing out of position in the middle. If that doesn't help his game, then Stewart will have had a nice break to get motivated and Bergy can sit a few.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Get me a beer, help me install these struts... and we can think about it?
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:

I would rather sit stewart and move Bergy to the wing to see what he can do there. I think he may be playing out of position in the middle. If that doesn't help his game, then Stewart will have had a nice break to get motivated and Bergy can sit a few.
We still need to replace him with someone. We're not exactly "Center" rich on this team, the only true center we have is Roy who is being paired with....yeah. My way of thinking is, we got Morrow on the team who has some gas in the tank and a sound Center can add a dynamic that can help us. Why not try out Aucoin?

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

sseagle wrote:

Get me a beer, help me install these struts... and we can think about it?
Think about benching Bergy? Think about?..... :shock:

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Oaklandblue wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:

We still need to replace him with someone. We're not exactly "Center" rich on this team, the only true center we have is Roy who is being paired with....yeah. My way of thinking is, we got Morrow on the team who has some gas in the tank and a sound Center can add a dynamic that can help us. Why not try out Aucoin?
I am on board with your idea to see what Aucoin has... I would just want to see Stewart sit and Berg move to wing for a couple games.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Aucoin ha 1G/5A in 17GP and is a -8 in the AHL this year. I doubt he's the answer.

Also, and I don't know if this applies here or not as I haven't gotten to see the Blues play anywhere near as much as I would have liked thus far, I think it's easy to get frustrated at players who have a wide gap between their production and potential. But, even with that wide gap, they are frequently better than an AHL replacement. Both Stewart and Berglund have better NHL numbers this year than Aucoin has AHL numbers. I'm sure the Blues FO is better in touch with how their players are doing than we are. I can see why fans might want to give Aucoin or somebody a chance as we haven't seen him play. But, there is probably a reason that we haven't seen him play yet and it probably is related to him being a -8.