So, since this place is clearly dead...

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: So, since this place is clearly dead...

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Portland Blues wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:As a former/past “regular,” my opinion is that the flashchat played a role in slowing this place down. The GDTs had the most activity in them, and flashchat made them obsolete. I was around when flashchat first started, and kind of took over. I understand why people may prefer flashchat, and neither method is better than the other, but that is my opinion and two cents.

Edit: I see I am repeating alot of what dmiles2186 already stated above.
:plusplus:
LAWYERED!
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
Portland Blues wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:As a former/past “regular,” my opinion is that the flashchat played a role in slowing this place down. The GDTs had the most activity in them, and flashchat made them obsolete. I was around when flashchat first started, and kind of took over. I understand why people may prefer flashchat, and neither method is better than the other, but that is my opinion and two cents.

LAWYERED!
If only we could hear what the mighty Sungod thought of the whole situation...

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

some of us are still here, we just went back to lurking...
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

Hotaru_Sobi17
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Hotaru_Sobi17 »

Wow, dead is a correct way of putting this place.

I came on here to see what everyone thought of the Olympic selections of some of our Notes.
Even though I'm not really a regular poster, I enjoy reading what you guys have to say.

Vladimir Sobotka= most underated player in the NHL! But I love him nontheless :)

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

It's been slowly dying for a long time. No one seems to want to acknowledge it.

I keep meaning to remove it from my bookmark tabs but I never have the heart to do it.

I rarely post anymore.

HFBoards huh? For some reason I find that place intimidating and weird. I might start giving it a shot though. I do have an account over there and I do post once in a blue moon.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

kodos wrote:It's been slowly dying for a long time. No one seems to want to acknowledge it.

I keep meaning to remove it from my bookmark tabs but I never have the heart to do it.

I rarely post anymore.

HFBoards huh? For some reason I find that place intimidating and weird. I might start giving it a shot though. I do have an account over there and I do post once in a blue moon.
I've lost count of how many computers the bookmark has transferred to over the past 13 years. That's like 2 centuries in internet time. :grin:

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Been reading the posts and whatnot just haven't been posting or Flashchatting much
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Hey guys...sorry.
I haven't had time to dedicate to posting & maintaining much. Life is getting in the way. Work, kids & family, house stuff, etc. I assume that is the case for a lot of folks. That's why I couldn't continue doing the Lets Go Blues Podcast anymore either.

I've actually been on the fence lately about "retiring" from maintaining letsgoblues.com.
But I'd hate to see the site just go away.
If someone is interested in buying the domain rights and has more time than I do to dedicate to running it, I'm willing to listen...and I'll cut you a sweet deal on hosting!! :grin:

I started this site in 2001 after the original (and only as far as I am concerned) [BANNED URL] folded. It's been a good 12+ year run. Is it over? Dunno. But if someone wants to take letsgoblues.com and run with it...let me know. We'll talk.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Good old [BANNED URL].

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

So... I've thought it over...and instead of the site changing hands or closing up shop, maybe we go the other direction and try to drastically revamp the site. Change things up big time...see what happens.

Couldn't hurt, right?

It might work...or it might suck. We'll see.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

I swear I heard TAPS playing softly in the background while reading Curt's posts. :wink:

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Portland Blues wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
Portland Blues wrote:

LAWYERED!
Those were the days.

Wonder how Rowdy and SMP are doing, too. Lol.

And I agree, flashchat killed this place. It looks like no one is talking teh hockies because all teh hockies talk is in teh flashchat.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
Portland Blues wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
Portland Blues wrote:

LAWYERED!
Those were the days.

And I agree, flashchat killed this place. It looks like no one is talking teh hockies because all teh hockies talk is in teh flashchat.
I think flashchat killed the GDT, but that doesn't explain why no one is posting threads on non-game days or in the entertainment section or anything like that. There's plenty to talk about in between games but no one posts anything.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

dmiles2186 wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:
Portland Blues wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
Portland Blues wrote:

LAWYERED!
Those were the days.

I think flashchat killed the GDT, but that doesn't explain why no one is posting threads on non-game days or in the entertainment section or anything like that. There's plenty to talk about in between games but no one posts anything.
The GDT sparked plenty of discussions and led to other threads. People came to talk about the games and saw threads and kept stuff going?

I would also like to hear what goon has to say about Obama... but we can't do that anymore either, lol.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

It's pretty simple really.

A huge chunk of the posters left when they didn't like the style of moderation on this board. Whether or not they had a valid complaint is inconsequential at this point.

Message boards need a little conflict and drama. It's actually good for everyone. The problem is that there is a fine line between the right kind and the wrong kind of conflict and how to manage that. It's incredibly tricky.

Not to sound like a negative nancy, but I doubt there is anything that can be done to bring this place back to it's golden days. People have just moved on.

Everyone is posting about the Blues at either tippingpitchers or hockeysfuture. What's going to bring people back? Free beer?

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

kodos wrote:It's pretty simple really.

A huge chunk of the posters left when they didn't like the style of moderation on this board. Whether or not they had a valid complaint is inconsequential at this point.

Message boards need a little conflict and drama. It's actually good for everyone. The problem is that there is a fine line between the right kind and the wrong kind of conflict and how to manage that. It's incredibly tricky.

Not to sound like a negative nancy, but I doubt there is anything that can be done to bring this place back to it's golden days. People have just moved on.

Everyone is posting about the Blues at either tippingpitchers or hockeysfuture. What's going to bring people back? Free beer?
Well, a huge chunk of posters were leaving before the "style of moderation" changed. The vibe the forum was starting to give off was nasty. Folks were taking liberties and really pissing a lot of posters off, purposely driving off new members, offending many long time posters with offensive/abusive material & comments, etc. So some left because of that and then some were banned in response, and some others didn't like that response so they left, and others then left because of the fallout. It was a combination of stuff...but honestly, the moderation tactics were an attempt to try to save the forum from the slippery slope it was on. Hollywood was a mod at the time and he was on board with those decisions...but over time, misinformation was spread by folks who didn't know the whole story and all people think happened was we decided to start moderating like crazy for no reason...and that simply wasn't the case. That's the truth (no matter what anyone else wants to tell you)...not that it matters anymore though. Water under the bridge.

I agree that message boards need drama, conflict, etc. It drives conversation and fosters debate...but you are right, that fine line was severely crossed by some of the users back in the day. That was overly nasty and it drove off far more users than it brought in.

But bringing people back who used to post here shouldn't really the goal. Sure, it would be nice to bring certain folks back, but getting more traffic, wherever that traffic may be from, should be the goal. New users, old users, etc. Blues nation has tons more contributors than just the handful of folks who left. Bringing in new users is a much more realistic goal if you ask me.

Free beer works for me. Who is buying?
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

I was a moderator and an administrator at the time most of the people split off. I was 100% on board.

Well, 90% on board. I would have been a bit looser if I was in charge, but I wasn't.

I'm not even blaming you. Moderating this site at the time was incredibly frustrating. Like herding cats. Whiny butt-hurt cats.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Holy hell, I wasn't even referring to all that drama... I was just wondering how those fella were doing. They were hilarious, imo.

I agreed that things got nasty, and I think the mods did what they had to do - and pretty much all they could do - to sort that stuff.

It is long over and not important.

Maybe the team is just so good that there's nothing to complain about? Maybe the fans have figured out that GMs won't accept two bags of pucks and Rich Pilon in trade for Crosby and Malkin?

The other thought is that hockey is not all that hot in STL atm - I mean the team is having the best season ever and we can't sell out the place?

I think the biggest thing is that we all grew up and got jobs and families and stuff...and message boards aren't as interesting as they were ten years ago. I have no idea what kids today are looking for in a message board, but maybe recruiting some of them for your committee would help?

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Well since I apparently killed the place with flashchat ill just leave and you can have glorious gdts and bro hugs and shit.

Ill sit in my office and talk to myself.
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

sseagle wrote:Well since I apparently killed the place with flashchat ill just leave and you can have glorious gdts and bro hugs and shit.

Ill sit in my office and talk to myself.
Thanks man. Much appreciated.
I'l take the blame; it seems that every forum I go to, the activity goes down lol.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW