Massive Site Overhaul...Need Volunteers!

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Massive Site Overhaul...Need Volunteers!

Post by STLADOGG »

cprice12 wrote:The goal is users. Plain and simple. As much as I enjoy the conversation that goes on with the group we have now...the conversations are thin.
Simply put, the site needs to be much more attractive to new users.

Message boards in general are losing steam though. Social networking sites are slowly killing forums. So it's either make some serious changes, or fizzle out into nothing.
That makes sense I guess. I hate social media, but I love forums. Not sure why.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

STLADOGG wrote:
cprice12 wrote:The goal is users. Plain and simple. As much as I enjoy the conversation that goes on with the group we have now...the conversations are thin.

Message boards in general are losing steam though. Social networking sites are slowly killing forums. So it's either make some serious changes, or fizzle out into nothing.
I'm the same way. I know forums are an older style of internet hangout, but I enjoy them because you can track them at your own pace, click on the threads you want, etc.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

STLADOGG wrote:

Don't worry, Facebook and twatter are dying off too.
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Yeah, social media has pretty much everything that the forums have or used to have. However, forums still have two great advantages:

1. No one has to reveal their identity and therefore there's less worry about things getting too personal, people getting upset, going after people, etc. (I mean, it still happens but it's nicknames going after nicknames, which in my view is pretty harmless). Arguably, one could have face Facebook identities, etc. but that would be such a hassle. Having a nice throwback to the non-intrusive internet is nice... Even though Curt has everyone's IP's and can apparently do some "fancy research" to make sure we are alive. Which may be a good thing. Especially if the other members of the forum are worried sick. Because they are little girls and their tootoos are tootoo tight and their undies are riding up in their bums and...

But I digress.

2. They allow for a longer-than-140-character sentences, which for some of us are necessary to express ourselves (see 1. above). I've been watching Californication and call me an old fart (and go ahead and feel lucky that I don't know your true identity) but I am on the same page with the main character guy there - the tweeting is killing the language.

3. What dmiles said about following at your own pace. And because of 2, forums read a lot nicer than twitter threads.

Did I say two advantages? Well, (Frank)-a-dee-doo-da, I meant three.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov