GDT #46: 1/16/14 > Blues v Kings > 7:00 PM > NBCSN/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #46: 1/16/14 > Blues v Kings > 7:00 PM > NBCSN/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

Our nemesis...we must take them down! Because we can! Because we want to! Because we will! And because Viper is in attendance! FOLLOW ME TO FREEDOM! (or a 33rd victory...whatevs)
KINGS (28-14-5) at BLUES (32-8-5)

TV: NBCSN, TSN2

Last 10: Los Angeles 3-6-1; St. Louis 8-1-1

Season series: The Los Angeles Kings and St. Louis Blues have split two games. The Blues won the most recent, 5-0 at home two weeks ago with 30 saves from Brian Elliott.

"I think every time a team plays us, I think because we have a bigger, physical team, that they try to play the same way, and St. Louis has that team that can play that same way," forward Mike Richards told LA Kings Insider on Wednesday. "They have some big guys, some skilled forwards, and solid defense."

Big story: Los Angeles, which begins a five-game road trip Thursday, solved its goaltending glut Wednesday by trading backup Ben Scrivens to the Edmonton Oilers and recalling Martin Jones from the American Hockey League. Jonathan Quick has played five straight games since returning from a groin injury Jan. 4.

Team Scope:

Kings: Quick is 3-1-1 in his return and is coming off a 28-save, 1-0 win against the Vancouver Canucks on Monday.

Jones was 8-3-0 with a 1.41 goals-against average, .950 save percentage and three shutouts while Quick was sidelined. He was the NHL co-rookie of the month in December.

"Part of that deal was to bring Jones back," assistant general manager Rob Blake told the Kings website Wednesday. "The people here are pretty familiar with his start to the season. He established himself at this NHL level, so it's nice to have him back."

Forward Tyler Toffoli was assigned to Manchester of the AHL on Tuesday.

Blues: St. Louis also is wrestling with some goaltending decisions. Elliott has played in seven of the past nine games but Jaroslav Halak will start his third out of four games Thursday. He has allowed one goal in two games since being pulled after allowing three goals in the first period against the Chicago Blackhawks on Dec. 28.

The Blues have allowed two goals or fewer in the past eight games, with two shutouts (one each by Elliott and Halak). Elliott will play Saturday against the Anaheim Ducks.

"Brian had the shutout [against Los Angeles], Brian has played well, Jaro has played really well, both guys deserve to keep playing so we're going to keep playing both guys," coach Ken Hitchcock told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Wednesday.

"We looked at this week and we looked at next week. With so many hockey games, this is six in 10 nights, and we know each guy is probably going to have to play three games. So we just felt like Jaro played very well, let's keep that one going, and we want to see how Brian looks against Anaheim. It's going to be a significant game for both teams."

The newspaper reports defenseman Jordan Leopold will replace Ian Cole in the lineup, and forward Vladimir Sobotka (illness) will replace Adam Cracknell.

Who's hot: Quick has a 1.39 goals-against average and .942 save percentage since his return. Forward Jeff Carter has 17 points in his past 16 games. Forward Anze Kopitar has a three-game point streak and nine points in the past 11 games. … Blues defenseman Alex Pietrangelo has nine points during a six-game streak. Forward T.J. Oshie has three two-point games since he was named to the U.S. Olympic team Jan. 1.

Injury report: Kings defenseman Matt Greene (possible concussion) is out. … Blues forward Alexander Steen (concussion) practiced Wednesday but there is no timetable for his return. Defenseman Roman Polak (lower body) returned Tuesday after missing 10 games. Forward Maxim Lapierre (lower body) was placed on injured reserve Tuesday.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT #46: 1/16/14 > Blues v Kings > 7:00 PM > NBCSN/KMOX

Post by gaijin »

Sobotka IN!

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Taking my daughter to the game tonight. I was wanting to get there early to take her down to the glass and watch warmups for a bit.
I haven't been to a game that early in some time. How soon before the puck drops do they end warmups?
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

cprice12 wrote:Taking my daughter to the game tonight. I was wanting to get there early to take her down to the glass and watch warmups for a bit.
I haven't been to a game that early in some time. How soon before the puck drops do they end warmups?
No clue. I'm in as soon as doors open. I pay for the whole game, warmups till the security people throw me out.

Oh and the kings are all poofy penis touchers.
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

We beat them 5-0 exactly two weeks ago, with myself and my 11-year old son in attendance. Today, it's Curt's turn to carry the flag and I have faith.

Blues prevail. 4-2 good guys. Backes breaks Doughty in half and gets away with it.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Time to makes these Kings our bitches.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cprice12 wrote:Taking my daughter to the game tonight. I was wanting to get there early to take her down to the glass and watch warmups for a bit.
I haven't been to a game this season, but I'm typically there right after doors open, if not 10-15 minutes after. Usually they come out for warmups about 6:30 for a 7:00 PM start. They're typically off the ice 10 minutes or so before 7, if I recall. Not sure on exact times, but I don't believe it's too far off from that.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
I haven't been to a game this season, but I'm typically there right after doors open, if not 10-15 minutes after. Usually they come out for warmups about 6:30 for a 7:00 PM start. They're typically off the ice 10 minutes or so before 7, if I recall. Not sure on exact times, but I don't believe it's too far off from that.
Ok, I was thinking they left the ice after warmups about 15 minutes before the puck drops. I'll plan on getting there around 6:20-ish.
Doing the Jr. Bluenote Club thing...gotta pick up her gift bag or whatever it is.
I did the Jr. Bluenote Club as a kid for as long as I could. It was cool...good old Arena days.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
Yeah, I believe that is roughly accurate. I never really look at a clock, but it's somewhere in that ballpark.

I found a couple of tickets fairly cheap on Stub Hub today, so my dad and I are going.

7-2 BLUES!!!
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

http://us12.chatzy.com/51458226424291

since flashchat is still BROKEN

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Lame...once Halak gave them the free goal it was all over. :facepalm:

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Brian Elliott is the better goalie right now. He should be getting the majority of the starts.

Ryan Miller is looking better by the second.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Mother fucker.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Bench Halak, call up Jake Allen. His time is now.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Oaklandblue wrote:Bench Halak, call up Jake Allen. His time is now.
Uh...no thanks.
I don't want Allen on this team this year. Next year...maybe.

Did the reffing suck as much on tv as it did in person? Blues got jobbed on a few calls/no calls. One of which cost them a PP goal against...or the penalty had JUST expired...can't remember...same difference though.

Halak has always pretty much sucked playing the puck...and it burned us bad tonight. I wish he would just stay in his crease.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

cprice12 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:Bench Halak, call up Jake Allen. His time is now.
Uh...no thanks.
I don't want Allen on this team this year. Next year...maybe.

Did the reffing suck as much on tv as it did in person? Blues got jobbed on a few calls/no calls. One of which cost them a PP goal against...or the penalty had JUST expired...can't remember...same difference though.

Halak has always pretty much sucked playing the puck...and it burned us bad tonight. I wish he would just stay in his crease.
Allen is on a one-way contract next year, so no maybe's about it.

TV made Halak look horrible. I mean, really horrible. If you have a different perspective from actually being at the game, please share it. He looked like crap.

As for Halak, I really feel he's hit his ceiling in terms of his skills and abilities. I'm not saying trade him by any means, as I'd like to see how much gas he's got in his playoff tank, but I have a feeling he's not going to be here after the trade deadline passes. Just a hunch.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

So Halak gets a shutout, follows that up by being pretty much the only reason we beat the Coyotes, and now people want to run him out of town? Man, I'd hate to be a goalie. What have you done for me three seconds ago? Sheesh.

That said, he was pretty terrible last night. On the 3rd goal, the one where he coughed up the puck (which might not have happened if the fracking trapezoid didn't exist), Shattenkirk was by the near post of the net. As Lewis started to wrap around from behind (toward the near post), Shattenkirk backed away to the slot for some reason, even though he was the last line of defense. Petro lunges over at the last second but can't get there in time. Terrible play by Halak, no excuses there. But Shattenkirk could have been right where Lewis ended up going.

Our offense was awful, but may be credit to the Kings' D. There was no open space in the offensive zone. We tried shooting from the point; shooting lanes were closed. We tried going to the slot; Kings would clamp down quickly. The Kings have our number. They know how to play us and how to shut us down. And we can't figure out any way around that.

And Curt, the officiating was definitely one sided. Plenty of times I thought there should be calls that went out way but no hand was thrown up.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Also, just saw this on the interwebs. Did Muzzin spit on the crowd on his way out last night? I didn't notice this initially.

[youtube][/youtube]

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

No discussion of the high hit on boat? And I know dmiles hates when tarasenko stepped up and defended his man.

(Frank) the kings!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

sseagle wrote:And I know dmiles hates when tarasenko stepped up and defended his man.
I took issue with him tackling the Kings player by the neck and negating the power play. Standing up for your guy is what you always want to see. He just didn't have to step over the line.