GDT #48: 1/20/14 > Blues @ Red Wings > 6:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #48: 1/20/14 > Blues @ Red Wings > 6:30 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

I put this song in a GDT last season, but I'm going to do it again since, instead of almost losing Detroit, we completely lost them to the East and now we need to smack them back in their place since they'd be out of playoffs over here.

[youtube][/youtube]

Also, Cola better hope he's not playing for fear of this happening again...

BLUES (32-10-5) at RED WINGS (21-17-10)

TV: FS-MW, FS-D

Last 10: St. Louis 7-3-0; Detroit 4-5-1

Season series: This is the first game of the season between these former Central Division and Western Conference rivals; they play again on the final day of the season April 13.

Big story: The Detroit Red Wings are the only team in the NHL challenging for a playoff berth who currently own a losing record at home. The Red Wings are 7-10-7 at Joe Louis Arena, and will need to improve that record when they continue a season-long, five-game homestand against the St. Louis Blues on Monday.

The Red Wings are off to a successful, but shaky, start after a wacky-bounce goal allowed them to force overtime in the homestand’s opener Saturday against the Los Angeles Kings.

The Blues are in the midst of a rare mini-skid, with three regulation losses in their past four games. St. Louis still sits third in the Western Conference with 69 points, but the margin for error grows smaller.

Team Scope:

Blues: In St. Louis' most recent three losses to the Vancouver Canucks, Kings and Anaheim Ducks, the opposition has scored first. Coach Ken Hitchcock made it clear after a 3-2 loss to the Ducks on Saturday that the slow starts would not be tolerated.

"It's really just the same movie, different day," Hitchcock said. "We're going to have to figure out a way to fix it. ... We're going to have to have better starts, we're going to have to have more people engaged, we're going to have to play on our toes. Can't beat good teams playing on your heels.”

Blues forward Alexander Steen played 20:56 against the Ducks, his first game time since missing 11 games with a concussion.

Red Wings: It was almost certainly a lucky goal, but it might’ve been just the break Detroit needed. With a laundry list of injuries and an sub-.500 home record, the Red Wings’ chances against Los Angeles appeared slim. When Los Angeles scored a go-ahead goal with 2:15 remaining, that fate was confirmed.

Until it wasn’t. The Red Wings drew a late penalty and with 27 seconds left, Niklas Kronwall’s deflected shot flew into the mesh, bounced back into play, off goalie Jonathan Quick’s back and into the goal. The game eventually went to a shootout, where Tomas Tatar sealed it for the Red Wings.

The Red Wings may need a few more breaks with upcoming home games against St. Louis, the Chicago Blackhawks, Montreal Canadiens and the Florida Panthers.

“Really big homestand, we got some great teams coming in here,” goalie Jimmy Howard told the team’s website. “It’s going to take 60 minutes or more these next four games.”

Who’s hot: Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg had a goal and an assist against Los Angeles. Zetterberg averages better than a point a game against St. Louis in his career, and had three goals and six points against them in 2013.

Injury report: Blues center Maxim Lapierre (lower body) is on injured reserve. … Red Wings centers Pavel Datsyuk (lower body), Stephen Weiss (sports hernia surgery), Darren Helm (shoulder, groin) are on injured reserve, and center Joakim Andersson (lower body) is day-to-day. Forwards Johan Franzen (upper body) and Daniel Alfredsson (groin, back), defenseman Jonathan Ericsson (shoulder, rib), and goalie Jonas Gustavsson (groin, neck) are on IR.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT #48: 1/20/14 > Blues @ Red Wings > 6:30 PM > FSMW/KM

Post by sseagle »

Oakland is about to jump off a bridge.
Again.
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

I don't care if they are in the Eastern Conference now. Kill. Blood. Ears and noses and spurting and all that. Oh, and-

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

I'm back in Montana so I expect us to throttle the Wings.

I still blame most of this on Flashchat being out of commission though...
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

sseagle wrote:Oakland is about to jump off a bridge.
Again.
Here's an idea: Why don't you post this in the thread it belongs in and not in the GDT?

Here's another idea: Figure out why we can't beat a California team beyond a) We don't play hockey until 5mins BEFORE the end of the game and b) They're simply better than our fully-loaded team and then tell the forum about it, since I'm sure we'd all love to know why a team spending to the cap can't beat a team like, say, San Jose, this year.

Don't try to compare jumping off a bridge to telling the truth. We can't beat them, we get outplayed and we get outshot at goal. There are exceptions to that rule, and that's exactly what they are: Exceptions.

Halak made an amazing run in the Eastern Conference. Had he to do that with the same team in the West, they would have never made the playoffs and gotten blown out in the first round. Yet, this is the Halak people criticize and say is an elite netminder when his entire experience has been as a backup and an overpaid, ofthen-injured starter.

If we were in the East, we'd go to the finals, that's the truth. We own the East. The sad truth is, the West is better and we're not playing well enough and maybe, just maybe, we're not quite good enough and Miller isn't going to be that upgrade we need unless he starts scoring goals.

And I don't think what I'm bringing up is total lunacy and insanity. It's pretty much been proven in front of our eyes. My question, and it's to Hitch is: Whatcha gunna do about it? And I think that, given the circumstances and the organization making it clear that they want the up, is a fair question to address, because this:

<clip>
"It's really just the same movie, different day," Hitchcock said. "We're going to have to figure out a way to fix it. ... We're going to have to have better starts, we're going to have to have more people engaged, we're going to have to play on our toes. Can't beat good teams playing on your heels.”
<clip>

Ain't gunna cut it.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Oaklandblue wrote:
Again.
Here's an idea: Why don't you post this in the thread it belongs in and not in the GDT?

Here's another idea: Figure out why we can't beat a California team beyond a) We don't play hockey until 5mins BEFORE the end of the game and b) They're simply better than our fully-loaded team and then tell the forum about it, since I'm sure we'd all love to know why a team spending to the cap can't beat a team like, say, San Jose, this year.

Don't try to compare jumping off a bridge to telling the truth. We can't beat them, we get outplayed and we get outshot at goal. There are exceptions to that rule, and that's exactly what they are: Exceptions.

Halak made an amazing run in the Eastern Conference. Had he to do that with the same team in the West, they would have never made the playoffs and gotten blown out in the first round. Yet, this is the Halak people criticize and say is an elite netminder when his entire experience has been as a backup and an overpaid, ofthen-injured starter.

If we were in the East, we'd go to the finals, that's the truth. We own the East. The sad truth is, the West is better and we're not playing well enough and maybe, just maybe, we're not quite good enough and Miller isn't going to be that upgrade we need unless he starts scoring goals.

And I don't think what I'm bringing up is total lunacy and insanity. It's pretty much been proven in front of our eyes. My question, and it's to Hitch is: Whatcha gunna do about it? And I think that, given the circumstances and the organization making it clear that they want the up, is a fair question to address, because this:

<clip>
<clip>

Ain't gunna cut it.
Whatever, we are 6 points out of first with 4? games in hand. Every team plays poorly for a stretch, I'm stopping here. Have a good day.
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

As for the Wings, we're owning them tonight:

Us: 6
Them: 1

Goals: Steen x2, Roy, Stewart, Pie and Jay Bo.
Wings goal by: Who cares?
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

sseagle wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
Again.

<clip>
<clip>

Ain't gunna cut it.
Whatever, we are 6 points out of first with 4? games in hand. Every team plays poorly for a stretch, I'm stopping here. Have a good day.
We're playing poorly against the SAME teams and we'll be seeing at least one of them in the playoffs, maybe two. What's our answer to that?
I don't think we want another Presidents Trophy, I think we'd want the Cup.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Hate.
:firedevil:

:frankyou: :fischerugly: :detsucks:
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Jimmy Howard left because he had to poop? Or did poop?

Sampling of Twitter with a guest cameo from Roberto Luongo.

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Is a goalie that craps his pants what we want representing the United States in the Olympics?

But seriously, that's.....embarrassing, if true.

I'm reading from other outlets that he re-injured his knee. I'm going with the pooping though. It's more interesting to me.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Yeah, it sounds like the pooping story might have been too good to be true. Disappointing. It was definitely funny, but sounds like a knee injury.

On the plus side, this could be the door opening for Big Ben to make the Olympic roster.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

I hate to take a shit on the news of Howard's situation but on NHL.com it says he has a knee injury. They have a video of the Red Wings feed and you can see where this rumor started. Here's the link:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7015 ... l:topheads
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Oaklandblue wrote:
sseagle wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
Again.

<clip>
<clip>

Ain't gunna cut it.
We're playing poorly against the SAME teams and we'll be seeing at least one of them in the playoffs, maybe two. What's our answer to that?
I don't think we want another Presidents Trophy, I think we'd want the Cup.
If you can dismiss the President's Trophy as meaningless as it's a regular season award, wouldn't it logically follow that you should dismiss results of the regular season as a whole, including our play against the Pacific.

I posted it in another thread, but I'll say it again. I'm a little concerned about our losses to the Pacific. But, there are 3 scenarios in which we can play them in the playoffs.

1. We finish 4th in our division (let's just eliminate this. We are finishing 1st or 2nd).
2. We win our division and have home ice vs their 4th or 5th place team. That's Vancouver or Phoenix right now. Neither team scares me. At all.
3. We win 2 rounds (almost certainly including a round against the blackhawks) and meet in the conference finals. If we win 2 playoff series including 1 against Chicago, I'd like to think that we are playing well enough to ignore a very small snippet of the first half of the regular season that you are otherwise dismissive of.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen