Elliotte Friedman: Blues Pursued Vanek Back In October

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Elliotte Friedman: Blues Pursued Vanek Back In October

Post by SIU LAW »

Interesting tidbit. I think this was floated by another writer (perhaps Burnside) back in October.

Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts
Thomas Vanek told Newsday's Arthur Staple he would consider re-signing with the New York Islanders, even if he was traded by them. The same theory exists around Matt Moulson, who's been a good fit in Buffalo, although you never know what happens once a player leaves (leaving any kind of paper trail is a really bad idea, too). A lot of teams like Moulson. As for Vanek, the St. Louis Blues were in on him back in October. I can't see why that wouldn't be the case again.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Elliotte Friedman: Blues Pursued Vanek Back In October

Post by SIU LAW »

Obviously back then, the Blues were uncertain whether they would have one of the better offensives in the league. In the deal with the Islanders, the Sabres retained 19.5% of Vanek’s salary. If you assume that the Sabres would have been willing to do that for the Blues, or perhaps a little bit more, you would have to assume that someone with an Oshie or Stewart level salary was going to back the other way…

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Definitely an interesting tidbit. I'm trying to remember discussion back here this summer, it seems Vanek's name came up a few times. His offense would have been nice, for sure. But the way it's turned out, obviously we've got scoring up and down the roster, and I like that depth over one guy. Plus, the Islanders had to give up Moulson for Vanek, I'm not sure I'd want to give up a quality roster player to acquire Vanek.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

dmiles2186 wrote:I'm not sure I'd want to give up a quality roster player to acquire Vanek.
At this point, no. If for some reason, we go back to trying to win every game by a score of 1-0 like we used to, then yeah, maybe. I think the only way you give up that quality roster player at this point is for an absolute game-changer.