Stewart for Callahan?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Stewart for Callahan?

Post by cardsfan04 »

Dreger tweeted:

Western Conf teams suggest the Rangers are gathering intel on Chris Stewart. Callahan for Stewart would be a sweet deal for the Blues.

That sounds too good to be true.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Stewart for Callahan?

Post by kodos »

Why on Earth would the Rangers do that?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

This is harder to google than you'd think. There's a baseball player named Chris Stewart that was traded to the Texas Rangers in 2007. And there is some big company called Stewart Callahan.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

kodos wrote:Why on Earth would the Rangers do that?
My thoughts exactly. More power to them, though.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

No idea why they would do that, but if it happened, I would be vury, vury, vury, vury happy.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

If Stewart is traded, then please trade him to the East. The guy killed us every time we played the Avs.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Of course, if we really want a good return, we all need to shut our mouths right now.

STL LOVES CHRIS STEWART. HE IS SO GOOD HE IS BETTER THAN ANY ROSTER PLAYER THE RANGERS CURRENTLY HAVE AND IT WILL TAKE AT LEAST 2.7 CURRENT RANGERS PLAYERS TO REPLACE HIM.

Think they bought it?

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Okay, so Callahan is an UFA after this year and is apparently seeking 6 years at 7 million per. And he's having a bad year.

It makes more sense now. Callahan and Backes are similar enough that I don't think we'd want to pay him that kind of money.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

kodos wrote:Okay, so Callahan is an UFA after this year and is apparently seeking 6 years at 7 million per. And he's having a bad year.

It makes more sense now. Callahan and Backes are similar enough that I don't think we'd want to pay him that kind of money.
Yeah, I think that's the Ranger's thought process. If they won't bring him back anyway, maybe try to get something for him. I don't think the salary should be a factor for the Blues. We wouldn't be re-signing him. And Stewart is out the door after his current deal anyway. So it's a matter of who we want for the duration of their contract, Callahan or Stewart? Definitely Callahan for the Blues.

I'm still not sure it makes sense for the Rangers though. Maybe if they can't get anything else for him.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

I'm down for a Callahan rental. I've seen enough of Stewart to stop expecting him to turn some sort of corner. This is what he is, a super streaky forward who can score in bunches, but is usually completely useless. I'm ready to give up on him and just get whatever we can in return.

I do think he could do better on a run 'n gun eastern team.

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

Stewart is a lost cause in this point. If he were somehow unloaded for Callahan as a rental I would love it.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

They would get a year and a half out of Stewart. He's signed through next year.

Plus, he would probably be all fired up and score like 20 goals in the last 20 games.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

kodos wrote:They would get a year and a half out of Stewart. He's signed through next year.

Plus, he would probably be all fired up and score like 20 goals in the last 20 games.
Maybe we should trade him to ourselves. Or better yet, the Red Wings. They could use some fool's gold.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

A few reasons why I'd jump all over this trade:

1. Callahan would probably be a one season rental who has more heart than Stewart any day of the week and would be a definite upgrade.
2. There are guys in the wings ready to replace Stewart, so just having them replace Callahan instead, it all comes out the same in the wash.
3. Army has been able to coax guys to take contracts for cheaper than they were known to be looking for or were expected to be worth. I don't know if he's a great salesman, if the players simply love St. Louis that much, or what. But, it's not unfathomable that he'd be able to get Callahan to take a discount to stay on, especially considering Cally's numbers are down in his contract year. He could get one of those "one season" prove it deals while a guy like Rattie or Andronov gets additional seasoning in Chicago next year, then re-assess at the end of 2015.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

The Rangers could use someone that has some "size" and is willing to throw 'em when necessary.

I think we all know that Stewart does not use his size to the Blues’ satisfaction, but I think the Rangers would like to tap into what he currently puts out there.

I would like to see this deal go down. While I don’t think I would add a top prospect or 1st rounder, I wouldn’t fault the Blues adding something to make the deal happen. Callahan would garner a lot of interest, so the Blues will have to have an acceptable bid to obtain him. Then again, how many teams can offer up a 25+ goal scorer like Stewart?

With that said, Callahan would undoubtedly be helpful for the Blues, but he would be luxury (an extremely nice luxury to have though) in light of other two-ways forwards, so hopefully they will not completely overpay for him.

Quite frankly, I think Stewart would do well in the East.

Callahan is a Hitch style player, and would help Hitch’s preference of “playing North” and checking to create chances. The tail end of the “top 9” would be less of a liability with Callahan, and Callahan could slide up into the top 6 in the event of an injury.

Assuming this deal goes down, whether or not Callahan moves on after the season should not factor into the decision or be a point of angst.

If Callahan walks, the Blues will have gained cap space to go after other needs. Whether people are willing to accept it or not, this is a salary capped league and decisions have to be made at times to gain said cap space (i.e. Perron). You will not always receive an "equal" asset (equal player, equal term) when you are trying to shed salary.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

[tweet][/tweet]

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

Never heard of this fellow until today, but he is followed by Panger, Chaser, etc. He reported the Blues interest several days ago too...

[tweet][/tweet]

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes, please.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I mentioned this to a colleague who is a Rangers fan (and also, strangely enough, an Islanders fan and a Bruins fan... pick one, dude) and he said that he honestly doesn't see Callahan's overall value to the Rangers. That there's cheaper options in Hartford who will do the same exact job. He might just be preparing himself emotionally for the inevitable loss of Cally, or he might actually honestly believe that. In any event, I don't buy it. He's a clear upgrade over Stewart, imo. If the trade starts getting crazy and more bodies have to go to the Rangers then no franking way. But if it could be Stewart and maybe a conditional draft pick, then absolutely.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

glen a richter wrote:I mentioned this to a colleague who is a Rangers fan (and also, strangely enough, an Islanders fan and a Bruins fan... pick one, dude) and he said that he honestly doesn't see Callahan's overall value to the Rangers. That there's cheaper options in Hartford who will do the same exact job. He might just be preparing himself emotionally for the inevitable loss of Cally, or he might actually honestly believe that. In any event, I don't buy it. He's a clear upgrade over Stewart, imo. If the trade starts getting crazy and more bodies have to go to the Rangers then no franking way. But if it could be Stewart and maybe a conditional draft pick, then absolutely.
I was thinking the same thing. I don't see how he is worth his paycheck.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW