GDT #63: 3/8/14 > Blues @ Avalanche > 2:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #63: 3/8/14 > Blues @ Avalanche > 2:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

See ss' thread about the channel information. It is on an alternate channel.

Also, this game is kinda, sorta big.
BLUES (42-14-6) at AVALANCHE (41-17-5)

Broadcast Alert: The game may air on an alternate station on your cable or satellite provider. Click here for updated channel information.

Last 10: St. Louis 6-3-1; Colorado 7-3-0

Blue Notes: With a win, the Blues would have their first four-game win streak against the Colorado franchise since winning 10 straight against the Nordiques from Jan. 1988 to Jan. 1991. David Backes has three goals and four assists in his last five games against the Avalanche. Since joining the Blues, Ryan Miller has stopped 58 of 63 shots and is 3-0-0.

Season series: This is the third of four games between the St. Louis Blues and Colorado Avalanche. The Blues have taken the first two, outscoring the Avalanche 11-4. David Backes (two goals, three assists), Derek Roy (one goal, four assists) and T.J. Oshie (five assists) lead the Blues in scoring. Alexander Steen leads them with three goals.

Big story: St. Louis is in hot pursuit of the Anaheim Ducks for the Presidents' Trophy and first place in the Western Conference. Colorado is in hot pursuit of St. Louis and the Chicago Blackhawks for the lead in the Central Division. The Avalanche also want to prove they can beat the Blues following a lopsided defeat at Scottrade Center in November followed by a more competitive game at Pepsi Center a couple weeks later that nevertheless resulted in another loss.

Team Scope:

Blues: One reason St. Louis has a leg up in its quest to win the Central is its dominance within the division. The Blues haven't just handled the Avalanche, they've proven their superiority against all comers. A 2-1 win against the Nashville Predators on Thursday was their 14th win in a row vs. the Central, and they're 16-0-1 in the division this season.

Brian Elliott could get a start in goal this weekend with the Blues also playing Sunday at the Minnesota Wild, but the man of the moment is Ryan Miller, who's 3-0-0 with a 1.67 goals-against average since being acquired from the Buffalo Sabres.

"Our goal was to lead the division at the Olympic break and we did that, and now the goal is to try to win the Presidents' Trophy," coach Ken Hitchcock said in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "What the heck, that's important to us. It puts value in what's left of these (20) games now and we want to take advantage of this. It's important for our guys."

Avalanche: This is the start of a four-game homestand for Colorado, a great opportunity for the surging Avalanche to take a run at the division title. They rallied for a pair of one-goal deficits on Thursday and defeated their old rivals the Detroit Red Wings 3-2 in overtime.

Colorado has been averaging better than four goals per game during its current run, aided by the record-setting play of rookie Nathan MacKinnon. His assist on defenseman Andre Benoit's OT goal to beat the Red Wings gave him a 13-game point streak. All that did was break an NHL record held by Wayne Gretzky for the longest point streak by an 18-year-old.

"We're not digging our heels in and coasting to the playoffs at this point," forward Matt Duchene said in the Denver Post. "We have our foot down on the gas and we're pressing forward. We're not the old Avs anymore. We're not that team we've been the last four years that tries not to lose. We're the team that always tries to win and goes for it no matter what. It's so fun right now. We're looking around this room and we realize we have something special. So we just have to keep it going."

Who's hot: Blues forward Magnus Paajarvi has goals in two of the past three games. … MacKinnon has five goals and 13 assists during his run for the Avalanche, while Duchene has three goals and seven assists during a six-game point streak, forward Ryan O'Reilly has three goals and six assists during a five-game point streak and defenseman Erik Johnson has one goal and five assists during a three-game point streak.

Injury report: St. Louis defenseman Jordan Leopold (ankle) and forward Vladimir Sobotka (knee) are sidelined, though Leopold could return as early as next week and Sobotka has been skating. … Colorado forward Alex Tanguay (hip) is out for the season.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: GDT #63: 3/8/14 > Blues @ Avalanche > 2:00 PM > FSMW/KMO

Post by flyingnote38 »

Big game. Hard to believe we are 16-0-1 in the division and yet a loss today could result in us being 1 point from third place.
Got to say the Aves ROW advantage gives me the heebie jeebies. Do not want to face the Hawks in round 1 thank you very much.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I have no issue with facing the Hawks in round 1. Bring them on! No guts, no glory.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

The Flake
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by The Flake »

I'll second that. I'll not flinch going to battle with any opponent out of the central this year. I think Hitch has the right mindset in trying to attain the Pres trophy. Home ice is going to play a big part in going all the way this year. Bring on the Avs and the Hawks.

On a side note though, this will be a big test tonight for Miller and his assimilation to the rest of the boys and the system. The Avs have been on a hot streak scoring plenty of goals. They have a couple of kids on fire in that dept. This team has really matured under Roy. Going to be an interesting match this afternoon.
Remember,
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Bring on everyone. If you're afraid of an opponent, you have no business winning it all. I wouldn't give a crap if they had to go 7 against every team in the league en route to the Cup. What matters is that they don't go in scared and that extends to the fans.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

glen a richter wrote:Bring on everyone. If you're afraid of an opponent, you have no business winning it all. I wouldn't give a crap if they had to go 7 against every team in the league en route to the Cup. What matters is that they don't go in scared and that extends to the fans.

But the sky is FALLING OMG!!!
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Anybody know a way to stream the game (preferably legally)? I know a lot of cable channels will let you stream what they are airing live if you log in through your cable account. Is there a way to do this with FSN?
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

cardsfan04 wrote:Anybody know a way to stream the game (preferably legally)? I know a lot of cable channels will let you stream what they are airing live if you log in through your cable account. Is there a way to do this with FSN?
I just wish it WAS ON IN (Franking) HD... assholes

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

OH even better, it works great in HD on my wifes tv, but mine is SHIT ASS LETTERBOXED (Franking) STANDARD DEF

IM SO GLAD I PAY FOR CENTER ICE

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

(Frank) DOLLAR DAVE AND HIS SHITTY CONTRACTS THAT MAKE US THE FIFTH TENANT ON OUR OWN BROADCAST CHANNEL!

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

Bring on everyone. If you're afraid of an opponent, you have no business winning it all. I wouldn't give a crap if they had to go 7 against every team in the league en route to the Cup. What matters is that they don't go in scared and that extends to the fans
interesting. It seems you recognize the importance of confidence, yet somehow don't see a benefit to getting a series win under this core's belt before facing the Hawks (which we be only the second series win for the Blues in a decade).

The Blues could set franchise records for wins and points, yet get as their reward a first round match-up with the defending Cup champs for the second year in a row. I think most Blues' fans would find that a bit of a drain on their morale.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

flyingnote38 wrote:
Bring on everyone. If you're afraid of an opponent, you have no business winning it all. I wouldn't give a crap if they had to go 7 against every team in the league en route to the Cup. What matters is that they don't go in scared and that extends to the fans
interesting. It seems you recognize the importance of confidence, yet somehow don't see a benefit to getting a series win under this core's belt before facing the Hawks (which we be only the second series win for the Blues in a decade).

The Blues could set franchise records for wins and points, yet get as their reward a first round match-up with the defending Cup champs for the second year in a row. I think most Blues' fans would find that a bit of a drain on their morale.
And these are all valid points.

But I think what glen is saying, and I agree with him, is that every Cup champ in the history of ever has had a tough road. If you are scared of a first round opponent, no matter who they are, you're probably not going to have the mental toughness to withstand 4 rounds of increasingly difficult opponents.

It doesn't matter if you draw a weak team or the defending champs. You have to beat them, whomever they are. The West is rugged. We're (record wise) almost impeccable in our own division. Teams should be scared of us. Yes, we have to respect that the Blackhawks have done it before. But there was a time where they hadn't, and they navigated the tough waters (twice) to hoist the greatest prize in sports.

In short: we've gotta nut up. No excuses. Just beat the other team 4 times before they do it to you. It's that simple.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

But I think what glen is saying, and I agree with him, is that every Cup champ in the history of ever has had a tough road. If you are scared of a first round opponent, no matter who they are, you're probably not going to have the mental toughness to withstand 4 rounds of increasingly difficult opponents.
As a transplanted St Louisan living in Chicago, and I can tell you that Hawks fans were thrilled when the Blues and Ducks lost in the first round last year as they were the only 2 teams they thought had a chance to beat the Hawks.

And if your first round opponent is actually the toughest one you will have to face? Sure winning would be a huge confidence boost, but losing and we have to listen to Hitch at another way too early post-season press conference talk about how much we've improved and how much closer we're getting, blah, blah, blah.

This team needs to make a deep playoff run or next season the expectations for playoff failure despite regular season success will be that much more prevalent.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I wouldn't say scared is the right word, but there are teams we match up with better.

I have a great deal of confidence we can take out anyone from the central, but we don't match up well against a couple of the Pacific teams. Chicago actually has a better chance against those teams in a conference final. It's odd, but it's true.

I would love for someone to take out Ana for us.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Most years, I look at potential playoff matchups. This year, I really don't care for 2 reasons:

1. The West is stacked. There are like 6 teams really close in talent. If you don't play one team, you're just gonna play another tough team instead.
2. We are so good this year that I really don't care who we play. I think we're the best team in the NHL and built to do well in the playoffs. I'm confident against everybody.

One exception though. I want to play Chicago. Assuming we win the division, they'll play Colorado. And, I think they are better than Colorado. But, that's gonna be a sick series. A 7 game series between the Blues and Blackhawks? I can't think of anything more exciting in sports.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

What a game, much better than being stabbed in the pecker.

This team.. woah..

Miller was worth it, IMO

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

So in the four games miller is at like .933 save % and 1.5 gaa?

More interesting is 4 goals from berglund since another lazy forward was shipped to another shitty team.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

This Modano jerkoff session is getting obnoxious in Dallas... lazy ass Morrow couldn't make it?

Belfour looks like shit these days... old bastard

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Fun, tight game yesterday, one that belonged in the playoffs it seemed. More importantly, the Blues lengthened their lead on Colorado and Chicago in the division. Berglund has been a man on fire since the Olympics. I don't know what happened, but just keep it rolling. Oshie's effort on Backes' goal was outstanding. That was a beaut.

Lastly, I agree with ss. Ryan Miller was worth it. It's only 4 games, yes. But when he gives up a goal, it doesn't feel like everything is going to crumble like it did with Jaro.