GDT #66: 3/13/14 > Blues vs Oilers > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #66: 3/13/14 > Blues vs Oilers > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

David Perr'uh has come back to the KielSavvisTrade!
OILERS (23-35-8) at BLUES (44-14-7)

TV: TSN, FS-MW

Last 10: Edmonton 5-3-2; St. Louis 7-2-1

Season series: The St. Louis Blues are going for the season sweep of the Edmonton Oilers, having won two previous games, 6-0 and 5-2, in Edmonton.

Big story: In a matchup featuring a team with the most points in the NHL (St. Louis, 95) and a team with the fewest points in the Western Conference (Edmonton, 54), one team is heading toward the Stanley Cup Playoffs while the other will have a top draft pick. But each team is playing well: The Oilers have points in seven of 10 games; the Blues have won seven of 10.

Team Scope:

Oilers: Goaltender Viktor Fasth made his Edmonton debut Tuesday and settled down after allowing three first-period goals. He made 28 saves when the Oilers beat the Minnesota Wild, 4-3 in a shootout.

"I [gave up] three goals early in the game and it couldn't get worse than that," Fasth said. "Just have to battle your way through and fight your way into the game."

Edmonton has been making a habit of trailing early and coming back in the third period recently. The Oilers trailed 2-0 Thursday in a 3-2 overtime win against the New York Islanders and get a chance to play spoiler again against the Blues.

"It would have been real easy to pack it in and call it a night and get on to the next game, but our guys refused to do it," coach Dallas Eakins said Tuesday.

Blues: Goaltender Ryan Miller had been perfect in four games with St. Louis prior to a 3-2 overtime loss to the Dallas Stars on Tuesday.

"We're looking to play good hockey and make sure we are trending in the right direction coming into the playoffs and [Tuesday] wasn't a great step in that direction," captain David Backes said. "Back to putting in the work. We get another chance at it Thursday and hopefully a good two points as we look to get back on track."

Miller made 27 saves, allowing three goals; it was the first time in nine games St. Louis allowed at least three goals.

"This will be a good opportunity for this team to bounce back after a really nice stretch of five games," Miller said. "We were in the game [Tuesday] -- it could have gone either way -- now we have to really fight to get that feeling back."

Who's hot: Oilers forward Jordan Eberle has five points in five games. Forward Taylor Hall has five points over his past four games. … Blues wing Vladimir Tarasenko has an assist in three straight games. Miller has allowed nine goals in five games, and is 4-0-1 with St. Louis.

Injury report: Oilers defenseman Anton Belov (oblique) is on injured reserve. … The Blues have forward Vladimir Sobotka (leg) and defenseman Jordan Leopold (ankle) on IR.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT #66: 3/13/14 > Blues vs Oilers > 7:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Last night couldn't have gone any better for us with CHI and ANA losing in regulation.

Now we need to make that game in hand worth something with a clean two points tonight.

Let's get a stranglehold on the division here, fellas!

:letsgoblues:
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:Last night couldn't have gone any better for us with CHI and ANA losing in regulation.

Now we need to make that game in hand worth something with a clean two points tonight.

Crazy stuff man, now the Avs are a point ahead of the ShitHawks wit the same amount of games played.
The central is sure tough, but with a win tonight it could be a 6 point lead in the division and 4 point lead for the league.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

STLADOGG wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:Last night couldn't have gone any better for us with CHI and ANA losing in regulation.

Crazy stuff man, now the Avs are a point ahead of the ShitHawks wit the same amount of games played.
The central is sure tough, but with a win tonight it could be a 6 point lead in the division and 4 point lead for the league.
Sounds too good to actually happen...

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I hope Perron gets a warm reception tonight. I know he was frustrating, but not really in the Stewart sense IMO. I think he was just a bad fit in Hitch's system.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

If by "warm reception" you mean he gets blown up by several different players every time he's on the ice, then I agree.

The fans should give him a golf clap, but that's about it. This team is clearly better off without him and I was pleased to see him shipped out.

He's having a career year for a shit team, which is just about what we expected him to do in Edmonton. His game obviously didn't fit with the Blues' style - drifting players with "potential" who don't do the hard work and little things are not welcome.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:If by "warm reception" you mean he gets blown up by several different players every time he's on the ice, then I agree.

The fans should give him a golf clap, but that's about it. This team is clearly better off without him and I was pleased to see him shipped out.

He's having a career year for a shit team, which is just about what we expected him to do in Edmonton. His game obviously didn't fit with the Blues' style - drifting players with "potential" who don't do the hard work and little things are not welcome.
I mean, I don't expect a standing ovation or anything, but I'd like more than a golf clap. Maybe it's a time heals all wounds kinda thing, but I don't remember him like that. There's a difference between Chris "I'm really really good, just give me 3 weeks and I'll show you why" Stewart and Perron IMO. I do like the trade we made though.

ibldbl
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ibldbl »

BOAT IS BACK TONIGHT!!!!
Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly 2021 - 2022
Official LGB Sponsor of Colton Parayko 2017 - 2019
Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk 2016 - 2017
Official LGB Sponsor of Troy Brouwer 2015 - 2016
Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz 2013 - 2015

ibldbl
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ibldbl »

Boat in...Morrow out
Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly 2021 - 2022
Official LGB Sponsor of Colton Parayko 2017 - 2019
Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk 2016 - 2017
Official LGB Sponsor of Troy Brouwer 2015 - 2016
Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz 2013 - 2015

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

cardsfan04 wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:If by "warm reception" you mean he gets blown up by several different players every time he's on the ice, then I agree.

I mean, I don't expect a standing ovation or anything, but I'd like more than a golf clap. Maybe it's a time heals all wounds kinda thing, but I don't remember him like that. There's a difference between Chris "I'm really really good, just give me 3 weeks and I'll show you why" Stewart and Perron IMO. I do like the trade we made though.
I always thought he was a whiny bitch (I thought he was 5'7" until I looked him up and realized he's nearly 200lbs). I also never thought he played the team game. I feel that with his skills he should have been putting up 30+ goals a season and has yet to live up to that potential. Maybe he just got off on the wrong foot with STL (Murray, white skates, and crooked hats) and it followed him through his time here, but I feel like the early complaints were valid.

How do you remember him?

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

ibldbl wrote:Boat in...Morrow out
This is excellent news.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

I always thought he was a whiny bitch (I thought he was 5'7" until I looked him up and realized he's nearly 200lbs). I also never thought he played the team game. I feel that with his skills he should have been putting up 30+ goals a season and has yet to live up to that potential. Maybe he just got off on the wrong foot with STL (Murray, white skates, and crooked hats) and it followed him through his time here, but I feel like the early complaints were valid.

How do you remember him?
A lot of the same things were said about Oshie, and it seems like he's matured quite a bit, so maybe the same would have happened to Perron. Maybe not. I'm not sad to see him in another jersey, but I also do not bear him any ill will.

Most of us are from St. Louis (even if we don't live there anymore)- and we, as a city, establish an emotional connection to our players (whichever sport they play), almost as if they were our extended family members. You play with heart, you give 100%, and the fans will be loyal and support you like you've never seen anywhere else. You loaf, you float, you just skate by, then you're just a roster spot. No hard feelings, David- but you weren't for this town.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

How do you remember him?
As somebody who had flashes of being really good, but never put it all together. I mean, I didn't love him and I thought he was a good option for cutting salary. But, I don't remember being as mad at him as I would get at Stewart. I think part of that is that it's been like 10 months since he played a game for us. I also was there for the game he got hurt and his first game back (and scored that goal against Chicago). I don't know if that somehow factors into my memory of him or not. He is somebody that I always wanted to succeed though (not just because he was a Blue).

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

Not sure I get all the Perron hate. In the 2009 Playoffs against the Canucks (we were swept) he was the best player on the ice for the Blues. Maybe that's not saying much, but the guy gave it everything he had. The concussion really set him back. I know he wasn't loved by the fans, or maybe even the team, but before his injury the guy could be a force.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

tjk002 wrote:Not sure I get all the Perron hate. In the 2009 Playoffs against the Canucks (we were swept) he was the best player on the ice for the Blues. Maybe that's not saying much, but the guy gave it everything he had. The concussion really set him back. I know he wasn't loved by the fans, or maybe even the team, but before his injury the guy could be a force.
I actually think this is part of the reason I was so down on him - he showed he could play at a high level in consecutive games and never learned to make that happen every night. I can't pin that on the concussion because he played very well when he came back - some of the best hockey of his career, actually. His last year in STL was bad, and he got traded for a bag of pucks.

I don't bear him ill will either, but I would love to see him get hit hard and often tonight just because.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Image!!!

Also, I agree that Perron should get a good cheer. The guy gave 6 years of his life to this organization and he helped bring it from the depths to a respectable level. Did he hog the puck at times? Yes. Did he take horrible penalties in the offensive zone? Yes. Was he a little lax when it came to defense? Yes.

But that doesn't mean we should cream the dude, or not cheer for him, or anything like that. I was there the night he came back against the Blackhawks after missing 90 some games and scored a goal on his 3rd shift. The volume of the building at that time was unreal. I hope the fans give him his proper due. He deserves it.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

Was John Tortorella coaching the Oilers tonight? Lol

Good win tonight maybe this will help get the offense flowing again.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Man Perron pissed off a lot of Blues players tonight.
Good win, you gotta think Miller is loving this team right now.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

We seemed to sit back for the first two periods before giving it a go in the 3rd. Can't really complain about a 6-2 win other than the fact that the refs let Jax lay there for a good solid 5-10 seconds without blowing the whistle and that led to an Oilers goal (not to mention Miller was interfered with). All in all though, I'll take the 2 points and the 6 point lead on the division.