GDT #70: 3/22/14 > Blues @ Flyers > 12:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #70: 3/22/14 > Blues @ Flyers > 12:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

Early one today, fellas.
BLUES (47-15-7) at FLYERS (37-25-7)

TV: FS-MW, CSN-PH

Last 10: St. Louis 8-1-1; Philadelphia 7-2-1

Season series: It's the first of two games between the Philadelphia Flyers and St. Louis Blues. The last time the teams faced off was Oct. 22, 2011, in Philadelphia, when the Blues won 4-2.

Big story: The Blues are focused on more than making the Stanley Cup Playoffs, so clinching a spot is only one marker on the way to their ultimate destination.

"It's a minor goal on the way to our major goal," Blues captain David Backes told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "That's nice to have with a number of games remaining in the season, but our ultimate goal this year was not to get into the playoffs. It shows you the evolution and the culture around here. That's what we were trying to create a few years ago, and now we've started to create it. We need this to be perpetual."

The Flyers aren't as assured of making the playoffs, so they know they can't have any letdown.

"We're in a good spot right now," goalie Steve Mason said. "We just have to keep playing well and every game is going to be a must-win down the road."

Team Scope:

Blues: The Blues may be at the top of the NHL standings, but coach Ken Hitchcock hasn't stopped looking for places his team can improve. One of those places is better offensive production from the fourth line.

Hitchcock has always enjoyed being able to roll four lines, and the expectation is that all four lines can produce. That hasn't been the case for the trio of Maxim Lapierre, Brenden Morrow and Ryan Reaves. In a 4-0 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks on Wednesday, all three played at least 10:44 but totaled one shot, credited to Reaves.

"I love what they bring," Hitchcock told the Post-Dispatch. "We've got to convince them that they can score, though. Maybe we've got to give them more confidence, put them on the power play once or twice. We've got to find a way for them.

"They are working hard, they're creating all this zone time. I want to see them have the confidence to make plays when they get it in because they're more than capable."

Of the trio, Morrow has 11 goals this season and is a seven-time 20-goal scorer. Lapierre has seven goals and Reaves has two.

"I think right now we're at that stage where we're right around the corner," Lapierre told the Post-Dispatch. "We're in their zone a lot, we cycle the puck … now it's find a way to get a shot on net, get more traffic and score some goals."

Flyers: Andrew MacDonald has one assist in seven games since joining the Flyers, but his impact can best be seen at the other end of the ice. In MacDonald's seven games the Flyers have allowed 17 goals, an average of 2.43 per game, and are 5-1-1 in that span. In 62 games prior to MacDonald's arrival, the Flyers were allowing 2.82 goals per game.

The biggest beneficiary from MacDonald's arrival has been Luke Schenn, who has three assists and is plus-3 in seven games as MacDonald's defense partner. Prior to MacDonald's arrival Schenn was minus-2 and lacked any consistency in his game.

"It's only been a few games, but we're developing chemistry and learning how to play together," Schenn told CSNPhilly.com. "We complement each other well. He's helped me out there. He's a steady player to play with. We knew what type of player he was: steady and consistent. Probably not a real flashy guy or things you would notice about him. He is always in good position, makes a good first pass and puts pucks on the tape. He can play some offense, but I think the big thing is he is sound defensively."

MacDonald also has enjoyed the pairing.

"Luke does a lot of things really well out there," he told CSNPhilly.com. "He's big, physical, moves the puck well when the opportunity is there. For me, playing with Luke, we try to complement each other. … We're creating good chemistry out there. Get the puck in our forwards' hands with speed and transition."

Who's hot: Blues goalie Ryan Miller has won seven of nine games since being acquired from the Buffalo Sabres on Feb. 28. He has allowed two goals or fewer in seven of the nine games. … Flyers captain Claude Giroux has points in five straight games, and eight of 10 since the Olympic break. He has five goals and 10 assists in that span.

Injury report: The Blues are missing defenseman Jordan Leopold (ankle) and forward Vladimir Tarasenko (hand). Forward Magnus Paajarvi (upper body) is questionable. … The Flyers have no reported injuries.

Follow Adam Kimelman on Twitter: @NHLAdamK

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT #70: 3/22/14 > Blues @ Flyers > 12:00 PM > FSMW/KMOX

Post by sseagle »

:doh: early games, we might as well wear third jerseys ...

STL -138 O/U 5.5
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... 98712.html

What an odd article. Who in the world is freaking out about the Chicago game? Did the author just make something up in order to have something to talk about?
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

(Frank) this game 12 really? This shit isn't even on national T.V.
I work, no see game.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Tomorrow is also an afternoon tilt, but actually televised. Today's game couldn't be more poorly timed. I have an insane amount of things I have to do this afternoon, and catching the game is about down the bottom of the list. Let's just assume the Blues will need to score more goals than the Flyers in order to win. I'll simply predict Jaskin will do something offensively, and Jackman will do something offensive.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

Nyghtewynd wrote:http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... 98712.html

What an odd article. Who in the world is freaking out about the Chicago game? Did the author just make something up in order to have something to talk about?

Poster + Post = PURE WIN
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

STLADOGG wrote:(Frank) this game 12 really? This shit isn't even on national T.V.
I work, no see game.
Yeah, this sucks. I can usually duck out of work a little early on Saturdays if I want to, but not THAT early. I was really hoping it would be on NBCSN so I could stream it, but no cigar.

Then again, now that I think about it, I do have a little tickle in my throat. I wouldn't want to get anybody sick. That wouldn't be very thoughtful. I might need to take the rest of the day off for the general good.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

The JR chat on Thursday had a fair amount of people concerned over the loss.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

cardsfan04 wrote:

They lose against a good team, people freak out. "Oh, they can't beat the other playoff teams!"
They lose against a bad team, people freak out. "Oh, they can't even beat the cellar dwellers!"

Fact: Teams sometimes lose games. Sometimes it's against good teams, sometimes it's against bad ones. Get over it already.
Last edited by ViPeRx007 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

They lose against a good team, people freak out. "Oh, they can't beat the other playoff teams!"

They lose against a bad team, people freak out. "Oh, they can't even beat the cellar dwellers!"

Fact: Teams sometimes lose games. Sometimes it's against good teams, sometimes it's against bad ones. Get over it already.
Yeah, I completely agree. That game was very frustrating, but it was ONE game. I'll take the entire body of work as more indicative of what we have than 3 periods.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

cardsfan04 wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

Yeah, I completely agree. That game was very frustrating, but it was ONE game. I'll take the entire body of work as more indicative of what we have than 3 periods.
Exactly. The real test is how they respond. If they spiral and go into a slump then, ok, maybe it's time to worry. But one game? Come on.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Morrow and LaPierre scratched in favor of Jaskin and Paajarvi. Happy to see Paajarvi back from injury and Jaskin getting more playing time. It would be nice if Jaskin could catch fire and possibly get some playoff playing time, but I think he needs to prove himself more first.

1-0 good guys after 1!

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Well that sucks.

0-6 on the pp is fail.

Nice work by Mason stopping 32/33.