GDT #75: 4/1/14 > Blues vs Flyers > 7:00 PM > NBCSN/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #75: 4/1/14 > Blues vs Flyers > 7:00 PM > NBCSN/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

I heard that, just to spite the Flyers, Chris Pronger is going to dress up in his Blues duds and skate a few shifts tonight. That's the scuttlebutt. Today is also the first day of April. That's the scuttlebutt.

I'm bringing back the word scuttlebutt to the people. That's the scuttlebutt.
FLYERS (39-27-8) at BLUES (50-17-7)

TV: NBCSN, TSN2, CSN-PH

Last 10: Philadelphia 6-3-1; St. Louis 6-3-1

Season series: It's the second and final regular-season game between the Philadelphia Flyers and St. Louis Blues. On March 22, Scott Hartnell, Wayne Simmonds and Jakub Voracek each had a goal and an assist to lead the Flyers to a 4-1 win in Philadelphia.

Big story: Despite leading the Western Conference in points, Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said he hasn't been satisfied with his team's effort the last few games.

"What I'm troubled by that I'd like to see changed is we're in the 40-50 minute range for hockey, not the 60-minute," Hitchcock said Monday. "We were great against Toronto [a 5-3 Blues win March 25], went to sleep for 10 minutes, game on. We were asleep for 10 minutes against Minnesota [a 5-1 Blues win March 27] and then game on. You all know what the playoffs are like; you can't sleep for 10 minutes. It's game over, not game on."

The Flyers continue their rough ride through the season. It will be their eighth game in the past 10 against teams currently holding spots in the Stanley Cup Playoffs; the other two are against teams within two points of a spot in the Dallas Stars and Toronto Maple Leafs. Rather than dwell on the difficult schedule, coach Craig Berube sees it as good preparation for the postseason.

"Well, it doesn't hurt," he said. "It just shows you … we're going to St. Louis and we just played them, it's going to be another real competitive game. They're good teams for a reason. Good teams play with good structure and follow the system and they play extremely hard."

Team scope:

Flyers: The good news for forward Steve Downie is he has passed his concussion baseline testing and his neck is feeling better nine days after a hard collision with the Blues forward Patrik Berglund on the opening shift of the game on March 22.

Downie has missed the past four games with an upper-body injury, one he said Monday included whiplash. While he was a full participant in an optional practice Monday, he will not be in the lineup when the Flyers and Blues play again Tuesday.

While Downie says he feels good, he knows it will take a bit more time for him to return to game shape.

"It takes a couple of days to get back," he said. "I'm cleared and passed all the tests. I took a pretty weird shot to the neck in an awkward position. I had some neck issues but it's all cleared up right now. I'm healthy. It all comes down to getting your legs back and getting the timing back. A couple more skates and we'll see."

Blues: The Blues have gotten great seasons from their top line of Alexander Steen, T.J. Oshie and David Backes; the three rank 1-2-3 on the team in points.

However, Hitchcock knows that as well as his top line is playing, teams don't win the Stanley Cup with one line. That's why he's "probing" for someone to step up and provide secondary scoring.

"We're not looking for combinations that work; it's too late for that," he said. "We're trying to get people to understand when they play really well how it looks and what it feels like. We had some conversations with people [Monday], we'll have some more [Tuesday]. Try to get more people connected and involved in the finishing part of our game. I think all of us feel as happy as we are for the one line, you can't win with one line doing that. We're trying to get more people included.

"One of the reasons we're so high up in the standings as far as offense goes is that we've gotten great season from a lot of people other than Backes, Oshie and Steen and that's what given us that success. One of the guys is not there, [Vladimir] Tarasenko, so other guys, we're probing to see if we can get other guys to step up their game and fill out that void."

Who's hot: Flyers captain Claude Giroux finished March with six goals and 15 assists in 14 games. … Oshie was named NHL Third Star of the Week on Monday after totaling four goals and two assists in three games last week, including his first career hat trick March 27 against the Minnesota Wild.

Injury report: For the Flyers, Downie (upper body) is out and defenseman Kimmo Timonen (upper body) is questionable. … For the Blues, Tarasenko (hand) is out.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: GDT #75: 4/1/14 > Blues vs Flyers > 7:00 PM > NBCSN/KMOX

Post by ComradeT »

Revenge. 3-1 good guys. Although I'll take whatever combination of numbers as long as ours is larger.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Score more goals, come away with...

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Me want President's Trophy. Just cause.

Blues 4
Flyers 2

edit: There's also a very practical reason the Blues should be battling to the bitter end: I'd much prefer to get the #1 overall seed in the west and draw the 2nd Wild Card than get what appears to be the Wild. To say nothing of the need to stay in the #1 seed in the Central to avoid drawing Chicago or Colorado in the first round. That wouldn't be good...
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

I've still not procured any more emmmm inspirational photos for goal celebrations tonight. I hope I end up scrambling later to find big ass ti... Uh motivation
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

The lines for tonight are weird.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Two periods down man oh man. Has all the pace and intensity of a playoff game. Freakin love it. Can't buy a goal here though. Two posts! gaaaah

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

What a freakin game. Lots of sloppy moments for both teams but the pace was intense and a hugely entertaining game for 1-0 shootout win.

Oshie is just disgusting on the shootouts. Miller played phenomenal, ton of great saves, bailed out some bad turnovers by the players in front of him, Emery on the other side was just as good. Great game. Glad we got the win out of it.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

WaukeeBlues wrote:What a freakin game. Lots of sloppy moments for both teams but the pace was intense and a hugely entertaining game for 1-0 shootout win.

Oshie is just disgusting on the shootouts. Miller played phenomenal, ton of great saves, bailed out some bad turnovers by the players in front of him, Emery on the other side was just as good. Great game. Glad we got the win out of it.
Miller sure earned that shutout, no doubt about it. Glad to see it. :okman:

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Remember when the Miller trade went through and a lot of us said this was a win because 'he can steal games here and there that we shouldn't win?' Last night was one of those games. PHENOMENAL. Unbelievably performance.

Our first period needed to have Benny Hill music set to it, by the way. That was atrocious. But we got better as time went on. 2 big points there.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Also, this was awesome...

[tweet][/tweet]

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

dmiles2186 wrote:Also, this was awesome...

[tweet][/tweet]
That's badass.

I remember watching the Steamers one game and them doing some halftime video montage of Ricky Davis, set to the song "Ricky"...which was popular at the time.

I loved Steamers soccer.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Elliott getting the start on Thursday against Buffalo. That really surprises me.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:Elliott getting the start on Thursday against Buffalo. That really surprises me.
Me too. But since I'm going Saturday to my first game of the year, I was hoping to see Miller and this should ensure that.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

This isn't entirely surprising. Buffalo is a pushover team the boys should beat easily. Save Miller for the more important opponent in Colorado. What makes it a bit mindboggling though is that an arrangement like that would make a lot more sense if it was back to back nights.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:This isn't entirely surprising. Buffalo is a pushover team the boys should beat easily. Save Miller for the more important opponent in Colorado. What makes it a bit mindboggling though is that an arrangement like that would make a lot more sense if it was back to back nights.
Agreed. Just giving Miller all the rest he can get I guess. The implication being he's not going to be getting much of it (if any) here in a few weeks' time.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
glen a richter wrote:This isn't entirely surprising. Buffalo is a pushover team the boys should beat easily. Save Miller for the more important opponent in Colorado. What makes it a bit mindboggling though is that an arrangement like that would make a lot more sense if it was back to back nights.
Agreed. Just giving Miller all the rest he can get I guess. The implication being he's not going to be getting much of it (if any) here in a few weeks' time.
The wangs beat the brooooins... Toes and 20c out for the rest of the regular season... Douch-sene out for a month... lets set up for the playoffs now
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

sseagle wrote:Toes and 20c out for the rest of the regular season... Douch-sene out for a month... lets set up for the playoffs now
Awesome.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW