GDT #82: 4/13/14 > Blues v Wings > 11:30 AM > NBC/Y98

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT #82: 4/13/14 > Blues v Wings > 11:30 AM > NBC/Y98

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:Wednesday, Thursday? What difference does it make. I'm curious what happens first: The Blues get eliminated or my son is born. Target due date May 13th. I'm guessing the Blues are eliminated first.
Congrats!
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

O/U on Chicago fans at every playoff home game: 5000. Blues fans are going to get dat scalping money in droves. Fair warning.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:This team sucks. I can only hope that come Wednesday every injured player magically makes it back.
No offense Glen, but a team with 111 points does not suck. They've sucked the last week. They've sucked long and they've sucked hard. But this team was great for 95% of the season.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Welp.

I'm not sure this is remotely fair, but Hitch will probably have to be out with a first-round loss, or maybe even a second. You have to be able to sell something resembling tickets for next year. It's not his fault that all of these injuries have happened, or that the Ott/Miller trade has been such a colossal failure, but he's the easiest thing to change, and he hasn't won a thing.
I don't think it's fair. If we lose first round and get off to a slow start next year, maybe. But, he's safe until the start of next season I think. I also don't think that people are going to stop buying tickets because of this. I mean, it certainly hasn't helped, but I think they'll sell a lot of tickets next year regardless.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

And they sucked at the worst possible time. The only hope is they got the losing out of their system, but I'm afraid Chicago is not the right remedy for righting the ship. Not with Toews and Kane coming back.

And thanks Cardsfan. Much appreciated.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

I don't know if I've ever seen the Blues lay as big of a turd as they have these last 6 games. 0 wins, outscored 22-5, shutout 3 times. I guess the only question is, who is actually going to be available for Game 1? They may as well bring up the whole Chicago Wolves- at least they've all been playing together for more than one game.

Right now, half of the Avalanche locker room is getting undressed and heading to the press box.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:And they sucked at the worst possible time. The only hope is they got the losing out of their system, but I'm afraid Chicago is not the right remedy for righting the ship. Not with Toews and Kane coming back.

That's just the thing: timing. Just a colossally terrible ending to an otherwise great season. I don't know what Hitch's plan is for these guys the next few days before the playoffs start but I hope he can calm these guys down and we can get SOMETHING going in Game 1. I fear if we get manhandled in game 1 that that might be all she wrote.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

They ARE due to break out. That's something, I guess.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

When you win zero division titles and zero conference titles, it's not a great season. Period. You won nothing.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:They ARE due to break out. That's something, I guess.
Hope so. I've been hoping seemingly forever now that the whole streaks follow streaks thing proves true. We have way too much talent to go out like this.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:When you win zero division titles and zero conference titles, it's not a great season. Period. You won nothing.
We didn't win the division, but the conference title hasn't been decided yet.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
glen a richter wrote:And they sucked at the worst possible time. The only hope is they got the losing out of their system, but I'm afraid Chicago is not the right remedy for righting the ship. Not with Toews and Kane coming back.

That's just the thing: timing. Just a colossally terrible ending to an otherwise great season. I don't know what Hitch's plan is for these guys the next few days before the playoffs start but I hope he can calm these guys down and we can get SOMETHING going in Game 1. I fear if we get manhandled in game 1 that that might be all she wrote.
They need to spend the next few days watching non-stop tape of Chicago. Rest the bodies, heal the bruises, and learn the insides and outsides and every weakness, every nook and cranny of the Hawks game. Then they need to come out firing on all cylinders and pepper Crawford with about 30 shots in the 1st period of game 1. Put them off their game, make them scared and for the love of everything good do not lose a home game.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

cardsfan04 wrote:

I'm not sure this is remotely fair, but Hitch will probably have to be out with a first-round loss, or maybe even a second. You have to be able to sell something resembling tickets for next year. It's not his fault that all of these injuries have happened, or that the Ott/Miller trade has been such a colossal failure, but he's the easiest thing to change, and he hasn't won a thing.
I don't think it's fair. If we lose first round and get off to a slow start next year, maybe. But, he's safe until the start of next season I think. I also don't think that people are going to stop buying tickets because of this. I mean, it certainly hasn't helped, but I think they'll sell a lot of tickets next year regardless.
I'm positive that people won't buy season tickets if they're out in the first round. If you tell the fans, "Hey, look, we were an abject failure last year, and we're not changing a thing, and tickets are more expensive", a significant percentage will say, "Call me after fifty games and maybe I'll buy playoff tickets." The only way to get fans in the seats is to show that you're changing something significant. And Hitch is the easiest significant thing to change.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

I'm positive that people won't buy season tickets if they're out in the first round. If you tell the fans, "Hey, look, we were an abject failure last year, and we're not changing a thing, and tickets are more expensive", a significant percentage will say, "Call me after fifty games and maybe I'll buy playoff tickets." The only way to get fans in the seats is to show that you're changing something significant. And Hitch is the easiest significant thing to change.
I imagine most people already renewed their tickets. There was a deadline on March 29 I believe. Somewhere around there.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

glen a richter wrote:Wednesday, Thursday? What difference does it make. I'm curious what happens first: The Blues get eliminated or my son is born. Target due date May 13th. I'm guessing the Blues are eliminated first.
Congrats Glen! Let's hope you're wrong. :okman:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

gaijin wrote:
Thanks. I hope I'm wrong too. My wife is in an incredible amount of discomfort because he's weighing above average weight and we're kind of hoping he comes a week or two early. Oh wait, you meant lets hope I'm wrong about the Blues being eliminated.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

glen a richter wrote:
gaijin wrote:
Thanks. I hope I'm wrong too. My wife is in an incredible amount of discomfort because he's weighing above average weight and we're kind of hoping he comes a week or two early. Oh wait, you meant lets hope I'm wrong about the Blues being eliminated.
Well now I mean both. :grin:

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Look at the bright side.

Ryan Smith just finished his career in Edmonton and it's not like he's going out with a Cup or somethiing! His team is not even in the playoffs while the Blues have one of the best records in the NHL!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

After decompressing from this 6 game suckfest a bit, I've come up with at least one positive. Back in October, if you would have said A) We'd set a franchise record in wins B) Finish with 111 points C) Have home ice advantage for the first round against the Hawks....I think we would have taken all three of those. And that's what we've got.

Trust me, I'm as upset that the Blues blew a friggin' 7 point lead with 6 games to go by not winning a single (Franking) game. But that's over now. Hitch says everyone that was out today will be back for Game 1. If that's true, we've got a fighter's chance. It's just so weird that a team that finished with 111 points in the regular season has given it's fans almost zero hope of a round 1 win. That's just crazy to think.

But the season's over. I'm going to try...TRY...to be positive. We're 0-0 now. Chicago is 0-0 now. This isn't 2010 or 2013. It's 2014. Time to see what this team really has in them.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

I was really impressed at how disciplined and how well the Wings passed the puck. I doubt even the great Blues team early in the season could beat the Wings in a 7 game series.