GDT Game 2: 4/19/14 > Blues v Hawks > 2:00 PM > NBC/Y98

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT Game 2: 4/19/14 > Blues v Hawks > 2:00 PM > NBC/Y98

Post by cardsfan04 »

I saw one of the douchiest things I've ever seen at a game today. When Backes got hit, that was awful. Agree with everybody else about a suspension. It should be double digits. Hell, make it 26, so he's done for the year even if the blackhawks play 28 playoff games. That won't happen, but I think 10 is deserved easily.

Anyway, so after it happened, after Backes was out cold, after they showed the replay of the dirty hit, some douchebag in a Kane jersey started celebrating. WTF? I've never been so pissed at a game in my life. Just, WTF? Karma's a bitch, and I think they got a piece of it today.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

sseagle wrote:
glen a richter wrote:I bet JesusNeverExisted was praying Backes would get up on his own strength.

Jokes aside, a friend of mine strongly believes he's concussed. I agree. :facepalm:
I don't see a way that a human can take that hit and not be concussed, did you see when he got up to kick ass and looked like me after a bottle of bourbon?
He did look like he was standing on two limp celery stalks. A bit too wobbly for my liking.
cardsfan04 wrote:I saw one of the douchiest things I've ever seen at a game today. When Backes got hit, that was awful. Agree with everybody else about a suspension. It should be double digits. Hell, make it 26, so he's done for the year even if the blackhawks play 28 playoff games. That won't happen, but I think 10 is deserved easily.

Anyway, so after it happened, after Backes was out cold, after they showed the replay of the dirty hit, some douchebag in a Kane jersey started celebrating. WTF? I've never been so pissed at a game in my life. Just, WTF? Karma's a bitch, and I think they got a piece of it today.
I'll reference, again, that broad in the green hawks sweater. What exactly was her problem yelling at Backes? She should have been yelling at Shitbrook considering his dipshit move ultimately cost them the game.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:
sseagle wrote:
glen a richter wrote:I bet JesusNeverExisted was praying Backes would get up on his own strength.

Jokes aside, a friend of mine strongly believes he's concussed. I agree. :facepalm:
I don't see a way that a human can take that hit and not be concussed, did you see when he got up to kick ass and looked like me after a bottle of bourbon?
He did look like he was standing on two limp celery stalks. A bit too wobbly for my liking.
cardsfan04 wrote:I saw one of the douchiest things I've ever seen at a game today. When Backes got hit, that was awful. Agree with everybody else about a suspension. It should be double digits. Hell, make it 26, so he's done for the year even if the blackhawks play 28 playoff games. That won't happen, but I think 10 is deserved easily.

I'll reference, again, that broad in the green hawks sweater. What exactly was her problem yelling at Backes? She should have been yelling at Shitbrook considering his dipshit move ultimately cost them the game.
I've heard about here a couple of times now. I need to find a video of this.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Also, how is kneeing a 2 minute penalty? I don't think 2 minutes should be an option for it. It should be auto-5 IMO. Knee on knee is dangerous as hell.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I don't think there is any doubt he's concussed. He could barely stand. He was loopy. Yeah, they're losing Seabrook but he took our captain with him. Plus, his hit looked way worse than Rupp's on Oshie. Time will tell with Backes. That was one of the most blatant elbows to the head I've seen. I figure Quintal has a chance to make a splash with his first big suspension. May the hammer of justice fall swiftly on ol' Seabrook.

I will post more thoughts on the game tomorrow when I'm not only my phone.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

cardsfan04 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
sseagle wrote:

I've heard about here a couple of times now. I need to find a video of this.
[youtube][/youtube]

Skip to about 22 seconds if you don't want to see the hit, which I'm sure none of us ever want to see again.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

cardsfan04 wrote:
sseagle wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:Anybody know why this is 2-2-1-1-1 this year? I'm assuming it's because of the new playoff format. But, it used to be 2-3-2. Will rounds between teams of different divisions (and time zones) go back to 2-3-2?
I thought it has been 2-2-1-1-1 in the nhl for awhile
It's been 2-2-1-1-1 in the NHL for quite some time.. as it should be in EVERY sport.. 2-3-2 is not a home advantage at all.

here...

1993-94 - The NHL's playoff draw was conference-based rather than division-based. At the conclusion of the regular season, the top eight teams in each of the Eastern and Western Conferences qualified for the playoffs. The teams that finish in first place in each of the League's divisions were seeded first and second in each conference's playoff draw and were assured of home ice advantage in the first two playoff rounds.

The remaining teams were seeded based on their regular-season point totals. In each conference, the team seeded #1 played #8; #2 vs. #7; #3 vs. #6; and #4 vs. #5. All series were best-of-seven with home ice rotating on a 2-2-1-1-1 basis, with the exception of matchups between Central and Pacific Division teams. These matchups were played on a 2-3-2 basis to reduce travel. In a 2-3-2 series, the team with the most points could choose to start the series at home or on the road. The Eastern Conference champion faced the Western Conference champion in the Cup Final.

1994-95 - Same as 1993-94, except that in first, second or third-round playoff series involving Central and Pacific Division teams, the team with the better record had the choice of using either a 2-3-2 or a 2-2-1-1-1 format. When a 2-3-2 format was selected, the higher-ranked team also had the choice of playing games 1, 2, 6 and 7 at home or playing games 3, 4 and 5 at home. The format for the Stanley Cup Final remained 2-2-1-1-1.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=25433
Wow, what rock have I been living under? I could have sworn we had a 2-3-2 series in the past couple of years.
It's possible, if we played a team in the specific division, I don't recall one, but I'm most likely retarded..

In other news... the roundmouth Seabrook has a phone hearing in the AM... which means less than 5 games.. it better be more than a fine.
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Knowing how the NHL operates, he'll get a 3 game suspension--effective at the start of next season.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

glen a richter wrote:Knowing how the NHL operates, he'll get a 3 game suspension--effective at the start of next season.
In interconference games that are virtually impossible to lose...

... except for game one - at St. Louis when we hang our banner :wink:

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

It's bullshit he's not getting an in person hearing. If Rupp is 4 games, this is 12. If NHL goes light on him, this series is going to get ugly.

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

cardsfan04 wrote:It's bullshit he's not getting an in person hearing. If Rupp is 4 games, this is 12. If NHL goes light on him, this series is going to get ugly.
[whine]buuuuuut itsss the plaaaaayoooofffsss[/whine]

of course I agree

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

A phone hearing likely means 4 games or less. Which is bullshit. But keep in mind, suspensions in the playoffs are usually half the number of games they are for the regular season. So if the league were going to give him 4 games during the season for that hit, it would be about 2 games for the playoffs.

That was one of the worst hits I have ever seen against the boards. It was violently nasty...and painful to watch. It was a blatant disregard to avoid the head, he came in hard looking to destroy Backes with his head down, he launched himself up and into Backes' head, leaving his skates. It was a ridiculously dirty hit. It was charging, interference and a high hit all wrapped into one. You don't go into a hit like that the way he did because you greatly increase your chances of not being able to let up if the puck isn't there or adjust to avoid the head if Backes turns. It was reckless, dangerous and irresponsible...and just plain stupid of Seabrook.

And another thing...
I'm livid at Olczyk in trying to justify the hit and how it should be legal because he saw one skate still barely touching the ice when he made contact. On the replay, he almost excitedly states that Seabrook's skate was still barely on the ice...so it was a clean hit. Then the other guys jumped in and pointed out the principle point of contact was the head...they seemed stunned Olczyk would say that.

I hate Olczyk. When I was up in the press box for a Blues-Hawks game a couple years ago, I passed Olczyk in the hall. I said "Hey Eddie...and put out my hand to shake his hand...he looked at me and kept walking." I kind of laughed, because I never liked him anyway...but he just confirmed the way I felt about him.
Anyway, during game #2, he was making subtle comments all game long the showed his bias...like he was watching the game through hawk-colored glasses (whatever the f*ck color that is). It was seriously pissing me off.

That's a photo of Seabrook smiling/laughing after the hit...f*ck that guy. What a complete douchebag. I knew Keith was dirty, but I was always indifferent about Seabrook...but not anymore. What a piece of trash he is. He said he was sorry for the hit...yeah...he looks real sorry.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

If he is back before the series is over, ho boy... no way there isn't payback. I know the best payback is beating the Hawks and rubbing that fact in, but damn you want to see some form of physical payback on the ice.

I'm sure the Blues will focus on trying to win the series first and foremost, and save the bench clearing brawl for next season. I'd be cool with that.
If Seabrook is back before the series is over, I'm sure he'll be targeted...but we'll see to what degree and how much. I just don't want them to take a bunch of penalties when dishing out payback and have it cost them a game here later in the series.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

cprice12 wrote:A phone hearing likely means 4 games or less. Which is bullshit. But keep in mind, suspensions in the playoffs are usually half the number of games they are for the regular season. So if the league were going to give him 4 games during the season for that hit, it would be about 2 games for the playoffs.

That was one of the worst hits I have ever seen against the boards. It was violently nasty...and painful to watch. It was a blatant disregard to avoid the head, he came in hard looking to destroy Backes with his head down, he launched himself up and into Backes' head, leaving his skates. It was a ridiculously dirty hit. It was charging, interference and a high hit all wrapped into one. You don't go into a hit like that the way he did because you greatly increase your chances of not being able to let up if the puck isn't there or adjust to avoid the head if Backes turns. It was reckless, dangerous and irresponsible...and just plain stupid of Seabrook.

And another thing...
I'm livid at Olczyk in trying to justify the hit and how it should be legal because he saw one skate still barely touching the ice when he made contact. On the replay, he almost excitedly states that Seabrook's skate was still barely on the ice...so it was a clean hit. Then the other guys jumped in and pointed out the principle point of contact was the head...they seemed stunned Olczyk would say that.

I hate Olczyk. When I was up in the press box for a Blues-Hawks game a couple years ago, I passed Olczyk in the hall. I said "Hey Eddie...and put out my hand to shake his hand...he looked at me and kept walking." I kind of laughed, because I never liked him anyway...but he just confirmed the way I felt about him.
Anyway, during game #2, he was making subtle comments all game long the showed his bias...like he was watching the game through hawk-colored glasses (whatever the f*ck color that is). It was seriously pissing me off.

That's a photo of Seabrook smiling/laughing after the hit...f*ck that guy. What a complete douchebag. I knew Keith was dirty, but I was always indifferent about Seabrook...but not anymore. What a piece of trash he is. He said he was sorry for the hit...yeah...he looks real sorry.
Eddie O shouldn't be allowed to do hawks games on national tv, the bias is huge and blatant, and hawk colored glasses are shit colored.

Here's to ending this in the next 2-3 games and not seeing another home game 50% filled with opposing 'fans' that cheer for our players being lit up via illegal action. Every hawk fan in the building needed a beer shower and possibly a shiv.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

And it looked like Toewes was taunting Backes when Backes was trying to stand up. The Blackhawks are proving themselves to be pieces of shit from top to bottom.
Shaw, Seabrook, Keith, Quenneville, Bickell, Kane.

After the hit on Backes, coach Q was livid on the bench because of the call. I'm not sure what he was looking at...but he came off as an idiot trying to say that wasn't a penalty.
Not only was it a penalty, it will be a suspension.

I used to like Q...a lot. But he is kind of embarrassing himself in this series.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

cprice12 wrote:And it looked like Toewes was taunting Backes when Backes was trying to stand up. The Blackhawks are proving themselves to be pieces of shit from top to bottom.

After the hit on Backes, coach Q was livid on the bench because of the call. I'm not sure what he was looking at...but he came off as an idiot trying to say that wasn't a penalty.

I used to like Q...a lot. But he is kind of embarrassing himself in this series.
His antics almost seem like desperation tactics in order to fire up his team. Which, if Q is feeling desperate in this series, it means his team is getting outhustled and outplayed. I am in full support of continuing to make him feel this way.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

LETS GO BLUES RADIO

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

At 0:45 of this clip, you can hear someone say something that sounds very much like 'Wakey, wakey Backes!'

What a bunch of chodes.

[youtube][/youtube]

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Here are Seabrook's comments on the hit:
"I was just trying to make a play on Backes," Seabrook said. "I thought the puck was there. I was on [Alexander] Steen. I was just coming down the wall and I just tried to finish my hit.

"I feel bad seeing a guy like that on the ice. I've been there myself, and I'm not trying to target his head. I'm not trying to do anything like that. It doesn't feel good to see a player like that lying there like that, and knowing that I hit him. It wasn't my intent. I thought it was a hit. It's a physical series, hits have been laid like that from both sides the whole series, so we'll see what happens.
I can kinda sorta give him the benefit of the doubt at the beginning. He probably just got caught up in the moment. I don't think he's a dirty player that saw a chance to injure Backes. I think he saw a chance to hit a player they don't like and got carried away. The hit was clearly dirty though.

But, after seeing pictures of him laughing afterward, he loses all credibility when saying "I feel bad . . ." People who feel bad don't laugh at knocking a guy out cold.

Oh, and there haven't been bits laid from both sides like that. That's utter BS. There have been 2 dirty plays all series and both belong to the blackhawks.

Leantonomistake
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Leantonomistake »

cprice12 wrote:And it looked like Toewes was taunting Backes when Backes was trying to stand up. The Blackhawks are proving themselves to be pieces of shit from top to bottom.

Thats exactly the point, where Toews showed his real face. You can read on Steens face " Show some (Franking) class" who yelled it 3 times at the hawks players.
But for sure, those behaviours weren't mentioned at CBC.

Are there any news on the Bickell kneeing on Sobotka? This could have endet up even worse. It's a shame, that the league only looks at those so called "starplayers" when someone of them gets hurt.