GDT Game 2: 4/19/14 > Blues v Hawks > 2:00 PM > NBC/Y98

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT Game 2: 4/19/14 > Blues v Hawks > 2:00 PM > NBC/Y98

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:[tweet][/tweet]

Anybody know what this is referring to? Reaves isn't the guy I'd like to piss off.
I don't know how game 3 will turn out, but I think they might want to keep a couple extra ambulances on call. It could get ugly out there. Line brawls on tap?
Yeah, this series has tons of potential to get ugly. The emotional (Frank) the blackhawks part of me wants to see it. The pragmatic let's win the series part of me doesn't. We really shouldn't do something stupid to risk a game/putting a chip on their shoulder like we now have on ours, but part of me really really wants to see it.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Apparently Reaves called the hit gutless and the taunting even more gutless. I don't think many would disagree with that. We'll see how it plays out.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

cardsfan04 wrote:Here are Seabrook's comments on the hit:
"I was just trying to make a play on Backes," Seabrook said. "I thought the puck was there. I was on [Alexander] Steen. I was just coming down the wall and I just tried to finish my hit.

"I feel bad seeing a guy like that on the ice. I've been there myself, and I'm not trying to target his head. I'm not trying to do anything like that. It doesn't feel good to see a player like that lying there like that, and knowing that I hit him. It wasn't my intent. I thought it was a hit. It's a physical series, hits have been laid like that from both sides the whole series, so we'll see what happens.
I can kinda sorta give him the benefit of the doubt at the beginning. He probably just got caught up in the moment. I don't think he's a dirty player that saw a chance to injure Backes. I think he saw a chance to hit a player they don't like and got carried away. The hit was clearly dirty though.

But, after seeing pictures of him laughing afterward, he loses all credibility when saying "I feel bad . . ." People who feel bad don't laugh at knocking a guy out cold.

Oh, and there haven't been bits laid from both sides like that. That's utter BS. There have been 2 dirty plays all series and both belong to the blackhawks.
So I watched the video several times. And yes, it all happens within just a few seconds. But:

- Seabrook leaves Steen before Backes gets to the puck. He tracks him all the way from in front of Chicago's goal. Whether he sees that Backes doesn't have control of the puck is irrelevant.
- He sees that Backes is bending down and does nothing to change the angle or altitude of the hit that direction. In fact, he elevates the hit and raises his shoulder connecting only with the head. I don't know if it's an elbow, that's unclear, but he is definitely rising into the hit rather than lowering into it. There was a hit on Backes in game 1 when a Hawk crushed him in the chest but that was a perfect, hard, low hit. This was blatantly high.
- Someone already said this but there were numerous times during the season - and against numerous opponents - that Backes veered to avoid the direct hit on a player that was turning, just let go of the puck or was otherwise vulnerable. I'd rather play a "dirty" team that hooks, grabs and trips than a team of hacks out to destroy your players at any cost.

Three games is a joke. I was hoping for at least four, as with Rupp. Hope Captain America can come back soon and strong. GO BLUES!!!!

PS: Anyone noticed the slash by Keith on Oshie right before Backes gets hit? What a dirty SOB.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

Boy what a classless bunch of a--holes. I have lost any respect for the Hawks.

"Wakey, Wakey" should get fined. Sickening.

I hope the Blues' don't respond other than by sweeping the Hawks. But if they do, DON'T RUN CRAWFORD -- he's doing just fine as it is.

Jackman's game 2 winner wasn't in OT last year, so the history repeats nonsense is well nonsense.

In an irrelevant coincidence, Midnight Hawk (a horse owned by coach Q ) was the prohibitive favorite in the Illinois Derby yesterday going off at 5-4 odds......led by 1.5 lengths at the stretch, but got beat by a nose by "Dynamic Impact". Amusing.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

It's not just Eddy O with the bias. You should count how many times Engblom talks about the Hawks and compare it to the number of times he mentions the Blues. Engblom five times in Game 2 said remember that play for later and every single time it was about a good Hawks play. Never mind the Blues actually winning both games. At least. Game 3 is on CNBC and we should get the HNIC announcers.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Anybody know what this is referring to? Reaves isn't the guy I'd like to piss off.
I posted the video a page or two back with the 'Wakey, wakey' audio clip.

Here's a Comcast reporter talking about the Hawks...

[tweet][/tweet]

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

I wish we had Pronger back (during his prime) to show Keith the true meaning of stick work. :grin:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

To comment on what flyingNote38 said... you may have lost what respect you had for them, but I never had any respect for the Blackhawks. They're a bunch of cheap assholes with an almost entirely bandwagon fan base. Take away Toews and Kane and they'll have half the arena dressed as empty seats. Even when Detroit was in the west I still hated Chicago more.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

I wish Ruutu still commented on here, to hear his take on this bullshit.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

STLADOGG wrote:I wish Ruutu still commented on here, to hear his take on this bullshit.
I think every sensible person would agree it was dirty. I've read some comments on various yahoo articles (which are always good for a chuckle) where the hawk fans are saying it was a clean hit, he wasn't even going up on him, he had his head down, blah blah all sorts of bullshit. It's one thing to be a fan of your team, it's one thing to be a homer, but it's something entirely different to be so blind to what EXACTLY happened. I think they're referring their anger though, since it's completely illogical that they could have seen what unfolded and not be pissed at Seabrook more than anything. Chicago may win the series yet, but if they'd won game 2 going home, they were in the driver seat and he single-handedly prevented that from happening. Now they're down his services for 3 games (should be more) AND the Blues are righteously pissed. Wakey wakey? Yeah you Chicago schmucks woke up the whole team. If nothing else, you'll physically regret it. Hopefully also by way of an early tee-time.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Heard that Backes is a gametime decision for tomorrow? Brinksmanship or genuine potential that he plays? If he was concussed (which I still believe he is) you'd have to assume they'd have already made it abundantly clear he's out. I'd imagine the Hawks are preparing a game plan with the understanding that he won't be playing.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:

I posted the video a page or two back with the 'Wakey, wakey' audio clip.

Here's a Comcast reporter talking about the Hawks...

[tweet][/tweet]
I knew what the wakey wakey was, but I didn't know what Reaves had done/said in response.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:Heard that Backes is a gametime decision for tomorrow? Brinksmanship or genuine potential that he plays? If he was concussed (which I still believe he is) you'd have to assume they'd have already made it abundantly clear he's out. I'd imagine the Hawks are preparing a game plan with the understanding that he won't be playing.
I'm under the impression that every injury this postseason will be called a gametime decision by Hitch. I doubt that half of them are. Backes may be gametime decision, but I doubt it. I doubt he plays and I suspect Hitch already knows he won't.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:To comment on what flyingNote38 said... you may have lost what respect you had for them, but I never had any respect for the Blackhawks. They're a bunch of cheap assholes with an almost entirely bandwagon fan base. Take away Toews and Kane and they'll have half the arena dressed as empty seats. Even when Detroit was in the west I still hated Chicago more.
Agreed. I've always hated them more than the Red Wings. Blackhawks, kU and Red Wings have always been my 3 most hated teams, but Red Wings are a clear 3rd.

I've always hated Blackhawk players, but mostly because they played for the Blackhawks. Now, I'm starting to think many of them really are just pieces of shit. I thought I would have liked Toews if he didn't play for the Blackhawks. Wrong.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Few things: 1) on Reaves retaliating... just do it cleanly. He marched straight to the penalty box at the start of game 2 by being a moron and taking a run at a guy. I wanted to throw my beer at the screen. If the Seabrook hit teaches you anything it's that powerplay time > getting revenge on another player with a dirty hit.

2) On the "wakey wakey" thing: the only part about it that sickens me is that Backes was clearly hurt on the play... the guy couldn't even stand up. If you've played into some advanced levels of hockey, there's no filter... guys say some heinous sh*t out there so THAT it was said doesn't necessarily surprise me as much as I wish it hadn't been because of an injured player. I'll repeat what I said before: I'd really hope guys aren't out there hoping players get injured. And I have to assume most don't.

3) Seabrook's take on it: I'll give him the benefit of the doubt too. Clearly he's going to want to hit Backes (or any Blue) any chance he got, I think he was honestly trying to finish the play, he just got all of Backes' head on that one. Seabrook doesn't have a history of that kind of thing, so I was actually surprised he got 3 games. I thought he'd get 1-2 to be honest.

There's no way Backes doesn't have a concussion off of that. I'm not a doctor and I hope I'm wrong but I don't see how he plays tomorrow.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

cardsfan04 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:To comment on what flyingNote38 said... you may have lost what respect you had for them, but I never had any respect for the Blackhawks. They're a bunch of cheap assholes with an almost entirely bandwagon fan base. Take away Toews and Kane and they'll have half the arena dressed as empty seats. Even when Detroit was in the west I still hated Chicago more.
Agreed. I've always hated them more than the Red Wings. Blackhawks, kU and Red Wings have always been my 3 most hated teams, but Red Wings are a clear 3rd.

I've always hated Blackhawk players, but mostly because they played for the Blackhawks. Now, I'm starting to think many of them really are just pieces of shit. I thought I would have liked Toews if he didn't play for the Blackhawks. Wrong.
The funny thing is that if they'd stuck to their game, they'd probably be up 2-0 instead of down 2-0. They're trying to be overly aggressive because they know they're playing a physical opponent and it's costing them dearly. They're not playing smart physical hockey, they're playing dickhead dangerous physical hockey.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Here's the deal: the Blues have taken up residence in their domes for the time being. Now is the time to play another grinding, physical game... put another nail in the coffin. We have them reeling right now. Don't play it safe; pummel them harder.

However, they have won the Cup twice, so they know how to come back from adversity. Just be confident and play your game, and one victory in Chicago is definitely a possibility.

I officially hate these mother f***ers. That shit with Keith putting his stick in Tarasenko's face cemented it. I mean, I hate Chicago in general, but these particular assholes are fuckin' lame as hell.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

goon attack wrote:Here's the deal: the Blues have taken up residence in their domes for the time being. Now is the time to play another grinding, physical game... put another nail in the coffin. We have them reeling right now. Don't play it safe; pummel them harder.

However, they have won the Cup twice, so they know how to come back from adversity. Just be confident and play your game, and one victory in Chicago is definitely a possibility.

I officially hate these mother f***ers. That shit with Keith putting his stick in Tarasenko's face cemented it. I mean, I hate Chicago in general, but these particular assholes are (Frank)' lame as hell.
It's better for everyone if that one victory in Chicago comes in game 3. If there's even an ounce of possibility that Chi can tie up the series going into game 5, that's a problem. 3-0 isn't insurmountable for any team, but it's much obviously preferable to 2-1 with a possibility of going home tied.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Few things: 1) on Reaves retaliating... just do it cleanly. He marched straight to the penalty box at the start of game 2 by being a moron and taking a run at a guy. I wanted to throw my beer at the screen. If the Seabrook hit teaches you anything it's that powerplay time > getting revenge on another player with a dirty hit.

2) On the "wakey wakey" thing: the only part about it that sickens me is that Backes was clearly hurt on the play... the guy couldn't even stand up. If you've played into some advanced levels of hockey, there's no filter... guys say some heinous sh*t out there so THAT it was said doesn't necessarily surprise me as much as I wish it hadn't been because of an injured player. I'll repeat what I said before: I'd really hope guys aren't out there hoping players get injured. And I have to assume most don't.

3) Seabrook's take on it: I'll give him the benefit of the doubt too. Clearly he's going to want to hit Backes (or any Blue) any chance he got, I think he was honestly trying to finish the play, he just got all of Backes' head on that one. Seabrook doesn't have a history of that kind of thing, so I was actually surprised he got 3 games. I thought he'd get 1-2 to be honest.

There's no way Backes doesn't have a concussion off of that. I'm not a doctor and I hope I'm wrong but I don't see how he plays tomorrow.
Well, just because you are knocked woozy, doesn't automatically mean you have a concussion.
But yeah...it was viscous and one of the most devastating hits to the head I have ever seen... Mainly because of the proximity to the boards and how he got destroyed once when he was hit and then destroyed again when his head was driven into the boards due to Seabrook launching himself into Backes' head.
It's easy to assume concussion, hell...he probably has one...but it's not a 100% done deal.
I am sure he has taken his baseline concussion test by now... I wonder how he did?
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

KPFBlue
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KPFBlue »

Godamm*t, I'm in a tough place as a Blues fan. As much as I want the Blues to just buckle down and finish this thing out right, I also want bickell, seabrook and (especially) toews' heads on a platter.

Best case scenario: Reaves leads the handshake line after Game 4.

Wakey, wakey.

Oh, and Eddie Olczyk can lick on these [/Coach Q ball grab]
Official 2011-12 sponsor of Chris Stewart