GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NBCSN

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:This team needs a major change. I don't know what, I don't know how. I'm not saying sack Hitch, and lord knows there's no one of any quality to replace him if they did. But they need to find a way to finish on scoring chances. In some way shape of form they HAVE TO find the money somewhere to pay for someone who can put the puck in the net. Vova might be able to, Schwartz might be able to, but might doesn't cut it for a team that has a limited window to compete before they have to blow it up and start over. This squad has maybe 3 or 4 more years to get it right and then what? Colorado is getting better and better FAST, the Hawks are solid, the Preds will be showing improvement especially on the D when Jones is more mature, the Pacific is rock solid except for Vancouver--even Calgary plays with more heart and determination. This series ends in game 6, they've mailed it in.
Dude, what are you talking about?! 4 of these 5 games have gone to OT. The Blues could have won every one of them. The Hawks could have one every one of them. They're trading blows with the defending champs. The difference in the series are mistakes. The Blues capitalize on the Hawks' mistakes in Games 1 and 2 to steal them. The Hawks capitalized on on ours in the next 3 games. We had our chances. We almost cashed in on their mistakes. I just don't know how you can say this team isn't right there. They're playing a bona fide near-dynasty of a hockey team here. And every game has been decided by a goal (well, and the one where they scored and empty netter). This one isn't over. It's bleak. But for crying out loud, we're right there in each game.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

flyingnote38 wrote:I think you start by firing Armstrong.
:facepalm:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:This team needs a major change. I don't know what, I don't know how. I'm not saying sack Hitch, and lord knows there's no one of any quality to replace him if they did. But they need to find a way to finish on scoring chances. In some way shape of form they HAVE TO find the money somewhere to pay for someone who can put the puck in the net. Vova might be able to, Schwartz might be able to, but might doesn't cut it for a team that has a limited window to compete before they have to blow it up and start over. This squad has maybe 3 or 4 more years to get it right and then what? Colorado is getting better and better FAST, the Hawks are solid, the Preds will be showing improvement especially on the D when Jones is more mature, the Pacific is rock solid except for Vancouver--even Calgary plays with more heart and determination. This series ends in game 6, they've mailed it in.
Dude, what are you talking about?! 4 of these 5 games have gone to OT. The Blues could have won every one of them. The Hawks could have one every one of them. They're trading blows with the defending champs. The difference in the series are mistakes. The Blues capitalize on the Hawks' mistakes in Games 1 and 2 to steal them. The Hawks capitalized on on ours in the next 3 games. We had our chances. We almost cashed in on their mistakes. I just don't know how you can say this team isn't right there. They're playing a bona fide near-dynasty of a hockey team here. And every game has been decided by a goal (well, and the one where they scored and empty netter). This one isn't over. It's bleak. But for crying out loud, we're right there in each game.
If I was optimistic would I be me? This is what I do. This is my role here--to keep up with the through the roof pessimism levels of nyghtewynd.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

Misc. Blues wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:And that's the series.
Best of 7 not best of 5...
This core's record facing elimination is 0-3
Hawks get Seabrook back rested and healthy.
Had to win tonight.
Just like we had to win just one game out of the last six to avoid a first round match up with the Hawks.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

I am a firm believer that the difference is in goal. Ryan Miller, as good as he is, simply isn't enough. Brian Elliott has been and when he's approached with a challenge, he's lights out. That's just me.

I believe we will win this series and nothing short of losing the series is going to make me believe it. We write our own destiny, it's not foretold, it's not anything else. Bottom line is, pound for pound, we have been better than them in every position - except goal. I don't care how many amazing saves Miller's made, he's simply not enough and is the weakest link in our chain in this series.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Miller makes big save after big save after big save in this series. His defense backs in and shields him in OT in Game 4 and his defense makes a bad change leading to a breakaway to one of the best players in the league in OT of Game 5.

But yeah, it's all Miller's fault.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

There are definitely more glaring weak links. Ott, Berglund, Berglund, Berglund, the power play in general, Berglund, Berglund...

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

dmiles2186 wrote:Miller makes big save after big save after big save in this series. His defense backs in and shields him in OT in Game 4 and his defense makes a bad change leading to a breakaway to one of the best players in the league in OT of Game 5.

When he lets in 3 goals and we have to score 3 goals to tie, yes, there's a lot of that I'm going to put on him. He is supposed to be the amazing goaltender and for six million, you're damn right I'm going to expect elite-level goaltending. He knows a paycheck is at stake and as much as I like the guy's consideration and character, none of that matters if you can't stop the shots and give your boys the chance to win. I know I'm being hard on him, but there's a considerable amount here that is the truth.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

Nyghtewynd wrote:
Misc. Blues wrote:
Nyghtewynd wrote:It's over. Wow.

Terrible line change, and Miller once again fails in the biggest situation. In the end, it's simply that Chicago's best players are better than St. Louis' best players.

This team just has a serious lack of heart in the biggest situations. It's been three years now. I think we have enough data.
How's the fair weather? Geez...This isn't over until one team wins 4...last I checked they have 3...
Yeah, because anyone who would sit through this crap year after is totally riding on the bandwagon.
I'm just saying we have not lost anything yet. It takes 4 wins not 3...all 1 goal games period...either team could have won every game...
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

glen a richter wrote:There are definitely more glaring weak links. Ott, Berglund, Berglund, Berglund, the power play in general, Berglund, Berglund...
Don't forget Berglund, Berglund and of course, that other guy, wasisname? Oh yeah, Berglund.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I don't think they mailed it in at all. These are insanely tight hockey games. I think the comment about chicagos best players are better than ours is spot on for their forwards.

We need an upgrade in our top six.

I would give Elliot the start in game six as well. Miller hasn't been terrible but he will get plenty of blame from outside the locker room. See what happens with a different guy in net.

The series isn't over, but it's not looking good right now.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
Minus the dude this is pretty much what Hitch will be saying after game 6.

We are right there in every game. Only difference is this. One team's core has a history of winning the cup, of battling back from 3-1 down in a series, of battling back from 2-1 down in the cup finals and winning. The other's teams core has a history of losing big games.
Last edited by flyingnote38 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

dmiles2186 wrote:Miller makes big save after big save after big save in this series. His defense backs in and shields him in OT in Game 4 and his defense makes a bad change leading to a breakaway to one of the best players in the league in OT of Game 5.

Ryan Miller is an above-average goalie. We traded an above-average goalie and a very serviceable player and a prospect for an above-average goalie and a below-average position player. We were expecting to get a game-changer. We didn't get one.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

This isn't the 80's or 90's anymore. You can't give up 3 goals a game and expect to routinely win them. Could Miller be worse? Sure. Could he be better though? Also sure. A Cup caliber goalie is the one who makes the saves they weren't supposed to make. In any event, I think they'll reconsider bringing him back next season anyway, if for no other reason than to make money available for a top line forward.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

This isn't over. We have played them to OT 4 times, and basically lost a one goal game additionally.

Go get em Sunday!
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Yeah Ott sucks. I understood why they wanted him in the trade, at the time. But watching him play, I just don't get it. Moulson would have been much better/more useful even if they had to trade someone else to Buffalo in addition to the haul they sent northeast.

And at critical times why are the worst goddam players on the team out on the ice? Berglund getting ice time late in the 3rd? Get the hell out of here! You double shift the guys who don't goddam suck!
Last edited by glen a richter on Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Don't hang Miller for this one guys - it wasn't his fault. He played really well and there were plenty of saves he made that frustrated me. The fact is he got stranded out there in OT on a breakaway that cannot happen and it was to our best shootout player Toews for a one-on-one. It would be the equivanlent if Oshie had a breakaway against Crawford. And the series isn't over - it's best of 7 so I'm not celebrating anything. And I expect game 6 to go to OT as well as every game has been close so game 6 should be no different.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

glen a richter wrote:This isn't the 80's or 90's anymore. You can't give up 3 goals a game and expect to routinely win them. Could Miller be worse? Sure. Could he be better though? Also sure. A Cup caliber goalie is the one who makes the saves they weren't supposed to make. In any event, I think they'll reconsider bringing him back next season anyway, if for no other reason than to make money available for a top line forward.
Miller gave up way too many soft rebounds on soft shots. The hawks only managed to pot one of them but he's not been a difference maker -- at least not in a positive sense.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Oaklandblue wrote:

When he lets in 3 goals and we have to score 3 goals to tie, yes, there's a lot of that I'm going to put on him. He is supposed to be the amazing goaltender and for six million, you're damn right I'm going to expect elite-level goaltending. He knows a paycheck is at stake and as much as I like the guy's consideration and character, none of that matters if you can't stop the shots and give your boys the chance to win. I know I'm being hard on him, but there's a considerable amount here that is the truth.
I suppose we're all just forgetting the defensive breakdowns that lead to most of the goals? Sure, he should have had the 1 in Game 3. Maybe I'm fighting a losing battle. I don't think a goalie will ever be given a break in St. Louis. Anything goes wrong and the entire fan base points at the goalie, whether it's his fault or not. Do you not remember the big saves (among others) Miller made tonight after the absolutely ATROCIOUS givewaways by Oshie and Petro (who sent his pass perfectly in the slot for a one timer from a Hawk)? But yet, I don't see anyone calling out those two.

I'm not picking on you, nor am I saying Miller is exempt from criticism. But he's not the lone guy at fault here. I just don't know how the entire loss can be pinned on him.
Last edited by dmiles2186 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

Kerfuffle wrote:Don't hang Miller for this one guys - it wasn't his fault. He played really well and there were plenty of saves he made that frustrated me. The fact is he got stranded out there in OT on a breakaway that cannot happen and it was to our best shootout player Toews for a one-on-one. It would be the equivanlent if Oshie had a breakaway against Crawford. And the series isn't over - it's best of 7 so I'm not celebrating anything. And I expect game 6 to go to OT as well as every game has been close so game 6 should be no different.
Of course Miller's biggest admirer is the Hawks fan