GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NBCSN

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Postby glen a richter » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:02 pm

not_a_wings_fan wrote:I think we need another top six guy, but I think we need a set up guy. Pretty sure a speedy passing center who wins lots of draws would fix our issues.

We also need more speed. You pretty much always need more speed.

This is an insane first round match up for sure. I feel like the winner here will win the west.

It's not over till someone wins four games. We won two in a row to start the series, nothing says we can't do it again.


It seems like we have a lot of trouble on entries. More speed would help, some crisper passing, cleaner face off wins. Granted most of the games I experienced this season were via the radio, but in the ones I did get to watch on national broadcasts I have a general understanding of what necessary skills this team is deficient in. Having a set up guy would be a huge boon. I keep going back to Tarasenko and Schwartz and I think we all agree those will ultimately be the go to guys for goals, but if they had someone who could set them up with perfectly positioned passes we'd see them both take off.
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7269
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Postby not_a_wings_fan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:03 pm

flyingnote38 wrote:
Misc. Blues wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:This IS the best team we've ever had. And the fight ain't over yet.
I agree



This team would get swept by the 2000, 2001, and 1981 versions of the Blues.

"Fight" is the main thing this core has not demonstrated in the playoffs.

I think you are high or something. This team hits, blocks shots, and plays hard all series long. FYI Chicago has one two if the last four cups. They are (Frank) STACKED offensively. What is it you expect to see to demonstrate "fight" in this series? They have out played Chicago for most of the series.
Official 2008-2014 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman
Official 2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman
User avatar
not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 3098
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:27 pm
Location: Anywhere but here

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Postby cprice12 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:04 pm

flyingnote38 wrote:
Misc. Blues wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:This IS the best team we've ever had. And the fight ain't over yet.
I agree



This team would get swept by the 2000, 2001, and 1981 versions of the Blues.


Nope.
2000 & 2001 were great teams...but we had some nobody's on that team. We were top heavy and it bit them in the playoffs.

1981 was a different era. Players/teams in general are bigger, better, faster, stronger now.
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19532
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Postby Oaklandblue » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:05 pm

flyingnote38 wrote:
Misc. Blues wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:This IS the best team we've ever had. And the fight ain't over yet.
I agree



This team would get swept by the 2000, 2001, and 1981 versions of the Blues.

"Fight" is the main thing this core has not demonstrated in the playoffs.


Um, didn't the 2000 team GET SWEPT?
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Postby glen a richter » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:10 pm

Let's all take a breather for a second and then remind ourselves this: At least it's not 2005 anymore.
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7269
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Postby flyingnote38 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:12 pm

Kerfuffle wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:Of course Miller's biggest admirer is the Hawks fan


You really think Miller was the weak link tonight? The game went to OT - c'mon man.


Since you aren't a Blues fan you are unaware of the debate about acquiring Miller that started prior to us actually doing that. Or about this core's inability to live up to its reputation as Cup contenders.

I know you think Miller has played "really well" in the series, but the numbers suggest otherwise. His save percentage and GAA are both worse than Eliott put up last year.

Miller doesn't get a "pass" if he's merely not a weak link; he was acquired for a king's ransom to be a difference maker. He has clearly not been that.

In the post-mortem for the series, I think the 3 things they will point to as the biggest factors:
1) Seabrook's hit on Backes.
2) Miller being outplayed by Crawford
3) Blues' failure to make Hawks pay for penalities by scoring on the PP.
flyingnote38
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:25 pm

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Postby Oaklandblue » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:14 pm

glen a richter wrote:Let's all take a breather for a second and then remind ourselves this: At least it's not 2005 anymore.


A-FUGGIN-MEN to that.
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Postby WaukeeBlues » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:15 pm

dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:This team needs a major change. I don't know what, I don't know how. I'm not saying sack Hitch, and lord knows there's no one of any quality to replace him if they did. But they need to find a way to finish on scoring chances. In some way shape of form they HAVE TO find the money somewhere to pay for someone who can put the puck in the net. Vova might be able to, Schwartz might be able to, but might doesn't cut it for a team that has a limited window to compete before they have to blow it up and start over. This squad has maybe 3 or 4 more years to get it right and then what? Colorado is getting better and better FAST, the Hawks are solid, the Preds will be showing improvement especially on the D when Jones is more mature, the Pacific is rock solid except for Vancouver--even Calgary plays with more heart and determination. This series ends in game 6, they've mailed it in.


Dude, what are you talking about?! 4 of these 5 games have gone to OT. The Blues could have won every one of them. The Hawks could have one every one of them. They're trading blows with the defending champs. The difference in the series are mistakes. The Blues capitalize on the Hawks' mistakes in Games 1 and 2 to steal them. The Hawks capitalized on on ours in the next 3 games. We had our chances. We almost cashed in on their mistakes. I just don't know how you can say this team isn't right there. They're playing a bona fide near-dynasty of a hockey team here. And every game has been decided by a goal (well, and the one where they scored and empty netter). This one isn't over. It's bleak. But for crying out loud, we're right there in each game.


First off thank you for the refreshing optimism, we need it right now.

I agree, and yea every game has been decided my one goal in OT. I think the most painful part is just that we've dropped three of these in a row like that. I really think it'd "feel" different if it was 1-1-1 vs win 2, drop 3. This series has been one for the ages and yea, we're slugging it out going to toe to toe with a great team and the defending champions. Hard also to believe that we've had 4 OT's in 5 games. If that doesn't say dead even I don't know what does. Also agree it could just as easily be Hawks 4-0 sweep or Blues 4-0 sweep as 3-2.

KILLS me that we don't convert on some of those chances we get and I think that's one of the differences between us and the Hawks. Seems like every time they get an opportunity to bury one they do, and with a higher skill level on their team than we have. Then we work our butts off for our chances... And miss empty nets. Just frustrating
Official LGB Sponsor: Jake Allen
User avatar
WaukeeBlues
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 4671
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Phi Alpha

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Postby flyingnote38 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:20 pm

Oaklandblue wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:
Misc. Blues wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:This IS the best team we've ever had. And the fight ain't over yet.
I agree



This team would get swept by the 2000, 2001, and 1981 versions of the Blues.

"Fight" is the main thing this core has not demonstrated in the playoffs.


Um, didn't the 2000 team GET SWEPT?


No lost in 7 in the first round in large part to Demitra being hurt and self destructing. Bergevin throwing the puck into his own goal, etc, etc. Still outscored the Sharks in the series and staved off elimination twice. Had a classic Blues game 7 let down and a last second in the period goal against from center ice that was the death knell. But that team was by far the most enjoyable regular season version of the Blues to watch.
flyingnote38
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:25 pm

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Postby Portland Blues » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:23 pm

The most frustrating thing for me personally is every freakin' year we're talking about "if this and if that"...It's like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football every playoff season. :grin:

Followed by picking a Round 2, and beyond, team to bandwagon on.
User avatar
Portland Blues
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 3018
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:38 pm
Location: Portland Orygun

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Postby Nyghtewynd » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:26 pm

Portland Blues wrote:The most frustrating thing for me personally is every freakin' year we're talking about "if this and if that"...It's like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football every playoff season. :grin:

Followed by picking a Round 2, and beyond, team to bandwagon on.


Nah, the last hockey game I watch every year is the game that eliminates the Blues. It's MLS season as soon as the Blues are out.

And by the way, before Armstrong gets crowned GM of the Year, weren't his major signings this off-season comprised primarily of Roy, Morrow, Leopold, Lapierre, and then Miller and Ott? Um?
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.


Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.
User avatar
Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
 
Posts: 4506
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:41 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Postby Oaklandblue » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:26 pm

flyingnote38 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:
Misc. Blues wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:This IS the best team we've ever had. And the fight ain't over yet.
I agree



This team would get swept by the 2000, 2001, and 1981 versions of the Blues.

"Fight" is the main thing this core has not demonstrated in the playoffs.


Um, didn't the 2000 team GET SWEPT?


No lost in 7 in the first round in large part to Demitra being hurt and self destructing. Bergevin throwing the puck into his own goal, etc, etc. Still outscored the Sharks in the series and staved off elimination twice. Had a classic Blues game 7 let down and a last second in the period goal against from center ice that was the death knell. But that team was by far the most enjoyable regular season version of the Blues to watch.


Oh that's right, thanks for setting me straight....what year am I thinking of then??? O.o
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Postby JesusNEVERexisted » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:28 pm

OaklandBlue, how does that sweep feel? :lol:

Kane and Toews are simply the greatest duo in hockey only next to Crosby & Malkin.

Cprice, those 2000 teams were better! Chopper, Prongs, Walt, Turgeon, Demitra, Courtnall, etc. WAY better than this team! Those Chopper slap shots on the power play were legendary! We don't have anyone like that.
User avatar
JesusNEVERexisted
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 pm

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Postby Oaklandblue » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:32 pm

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:OaklandBlue, how does that sweep feel? :lol:

Kane and Toews are simply the greatest duo in hockey only next to Crosby & Malkin.

Cprice, those 2000 teams were better! Chopper, Prongs, Walt, Turgeon, Demitra, Courtnall, etc. WAY better than this team! Those Chopper slap shots on the power play were legendary! We don't have anyone like that.


I'm going to say this and I'm going to try hard not to go too far, so if I do, I apologize.

I find it really hard for someone to criticise me for beliving in something when their avatar name is that they don't believe in anything. I believe something, I believe we will win. We're still in the fight. If we somehow don't win, I still believed in something and I still do. To me, that's all there is to it.

I Bleed Blue. Do you?
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Postby flyingnote38 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:33 pm

cprice12 wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:
Misc. Blues wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:This IS the best team we've ever had. And the fight ain't over yet.
I agree



This team would get swept by the 2000, 2001, and 1981 versions of the Blues.


Nope.
2000 & 2001 were great teams...but we had some nobody's on that team. We were top heavy and it bit them in the playoffs.



38 Pavol Demitra -- -- -- -- --
77 Pierre Turgeon 7 0 7 7 0
44 Chris Pronger 7 3 4 7 32
26 Michal Handzus 7 0 3 3 6
48 Scott Young 6 6 2 8 8
23 Lubos Bartecko 7 1 1 2 0
2 Al MacInnis 7 1 3 4 14
32 Mike Eastwood 7 1 1 2 6
17 Jochen Hecht 7 4 6 10 2
22 Craig Conroy 7 0 2 2 2
19 Stephane Richer 3 1 0 1 0
28 Todd Reirden 4 0 1 1 0
15 Marty Reasoner 7 2 1 3 4
33 Scott Pellerin 7 0 0 0 2
21 Jamal Mayers 7 0 4 4 2
9 Tyson Nash 6 1 0 1 24
6 Dave Ellett 7 0 1 1 2
37 Jeff Finley 7 0 2 2 4
4 Marc Bergevin 7 0 1 1 6
7 Ricard Persson 3 1 0 1 0
47 Ladislav Nagy 6 1 1 2 0
flyingnote38
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:25 pm

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Postby JesusNEVERexisted » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:37 pm

Oaklandblue wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:OaklandBlue, how does that sweep feel? :lol:

Kane and Toews are simply the greatest duo in hockey only next to Crosby & Malkin.

Cprice, those 2000 teams were better! Chopper, Prongs, Walt, Turgeon, Demitra, Courtnall, etc. WAY better than this team! Those Chopper slap shots on the power play were legendary! We don't have anyone like that.


I'm going to say this and I'm going to try hard not to go too far, so if I do, I apologize.

I find it really hard for someone to criticise me for beliving in something when their avatar name is that they don't believe in anything. I believe something, I believe we will win. We're still in the fight. If we somehow don't win, I still believed in something and I still do. To me, that's all there is to it.

I Bleed Blue. Do you?


WRONG dude! I believe in LOTS of things! You are obviously misguided in believing a middle eastern fairy tale is real! It has clouded your judgment to the point you thought the Blues would sweep! :lol:
User avatar
JesusNEVERexisted
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 pm

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Postby JesusNEVERexisted » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:39 pm

Flyingnote38, see that 2000 team was clearly better!

Chopper, Prongs, Turgeon, Walt, Demitra, etc. The Sharks probably wouldn't have beaten the Blues in 7 if Demitra was there!
User avatar
JesusNEVERexisted
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 pm

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Postby Oaklandblue » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:40 pm

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:OaklandBlue, how does that sweep feel? :lol:

Kane and Toews are simply the greatest duo in hockey only next to Crosby & Malkin.

Cprice, those 2000 teams were better! Chopper, Prongs, Walt, Turgeon, Demitra, Courtnall, etc. WAY better than this team! Those Chopper slap shots on the power play were legendary! We don't have anyone like that.


I'm going to say this and I'm going to try hard not to go too far, so if I do, I apologize.

I find it really hard for someone to criticise me for beliving in something when their avatar name is that they don't believe in anything. I believe something, I believe we will win. We're still in the fight. If we somehow don't win, I still believed in something and I still do. To me, that's all there is to it.

I Bleed Blue. Do you?


WRONG dude! I believe in LOTS of things! You are obviously misguided in believing a middle eastern fairy tale is real! It has clouded your judgment to the point you thought the Blues would sweep! :lol:


I'm not a Christian. And if you think it's funny and don't mind ridiculing a Blues fan that believed enough into their team given their history to believe in a sweep, improbable or not, makes me wonder just how much a Blues fan you are.
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!
Oaklandblue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Postby Nyghtewynd » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:43 pm

Oaklandblue wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:OaklandBlue, how does that sweep feel? :lol:

Kane and Toews are simply the greatest duo in hockey only next to Crosby & Malkin.

Cprice, those 2000 teams were better! Chopper, Prongs, Walt, Turgeon, Demitra, Courtnall, etc. WAY better than this team! Those Chopper slap shots on the power play were legendary! We don't have anyone like that.


I'm going to say this and I'm going to try hard not to go too far, so if I do, I apologize.

I find it really hard for someone to criticise me for beliving in something when their avatar name is that they don't believe in anything. I believe something, I believe we will win. We're still in the fight. If we somehow don't win, I still believed in something and I still do. To me, that's all there is to it.

I Bleed Blue. Do you?


WRONG dude! I believe in LOTS of things! You are obviously misguided in believing a middle eastern fairy tale is real! It has clouded your judgment to the point you thought the Blues would sweep! :lol:


I'm not a Christian.


Stop feeding the troll.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.


Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.
User avatar
Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
 
Posts: 4506
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:41 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: GDT Game 5: 4/25/14 > Blues vs Hawks > 7:00 PM > FSMW/NB

Postby dmiles2186 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:45 pm

The most discouraging thing about all of this is that people all over the interwebs are talking like the series is over. It's not. The Blues have an opportunity to make a comeback in this series still. It seems bleak but I'm sure Hawks fans felt the same down 0-2. Until the horn sounds and we have less goals than they do, we've still got a chance.
Image
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5999
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

PreviousNext

Return to St. Louis Blues Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], dmiles2186, Portland Blues, Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests