Brad Richards bought bout by Rangers

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Brad Richards bought bout by Rangers

Post by cardsfan04 »

2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Brad Richards bought bout by Rangers

Post by dmiles2186 »

Dude still had 51 points last year (20 goals, 31 assists). He's a Conn Smythe winner. We're cutting bait with Derek Roy and Morrow, why not use some of that money on Richards? In terms of price, I'd be okay with 3-3.5 mil if he'll take it.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

No disrespect to the player, but this is exactly the kind of asshat we sign and then complain about all season long. We got several guys that fill Richard's role, and what we need is a #1 playmaking center - which he is clearly not.

I am scared to see this buyout, because I fear this will be some heralded off-season acquisition and used to cover up the fact that we still can't score goals with the likes of LA or CHI.

He's a nice piece for some other team... but doesn't fit with ours at this point. This is Ott with better hands - a player in decline who has more reputation than productivity. Please no more washed out vets with "grit."
Last edited by not_a_wings_fan on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:Dude still had 51 points last year (20 goals, 31 assists). He's a Conn Smythe winner. We're cutting bait with Derek Roy and Morrow, why not use some of that money on Richards? In terms of price, I'd be okay with 3-3.5 mil if he'll take it.
I'd be fine doing it at that price. He clearly has (or had) tremendous upside. My big concern is that this is his last 5 years of production:

Year G P
09-10 80 91
10-11 72 70
11-12 82 66
12-13 46 34
13-14 82 51

He's 34 now, so I don't think he's likely to go too far in the opposite direction. He's dropped from 1.14 P/G i 09-10 to .62 P/G 13-14. I could see him rebounding some, but days of him being a point per game player are gone I think. So, for me, it solely depends on price. If other teams get into a bidding war over him, I'd pass. If he wants to come here relatively cheap, I don't mind taking a shot on him. He could probably do some damage on the 3rd line.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:No disrespect to the player, but this is exactly the kind of asshat we sign and then complain about all season long. We got several guys that fill Richard's role, and what we need is a #1 playmaking center - which he is clearly not.

I am scared to see this buyout, because I fear this will be some heralded off-season acquisition and used to cover up the fact that we still can't score goals with the likes of LA or CHI.

He's a nice piece for some other team... but doesn't fit with ours at this point. This is Ott with better hands - a player in decline who has more reputation than productivity. Please no more washed out vets with "grit."
I'm confused. I've never known Brad Richards to ever add 'grit.' Also, comparing him to Ott, who has never had a 50 point season, is a bit puzzling. I get that Richards is over the hill. He's 34. But as a veteran forward who can chip in offense, and my hope is that he'll be cheaper than other veteran help. Richards isn't a #1 C, but that doesn't mean signing Richards will eliminate the possibility of picking someone up. The bottom half of our forwards is...not pretty. I'm okay adding some firepower with Richards.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

dmiles2186 wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:No disrespect to the player, but this is exactly the kind of asshat we sign and then complain about all season long. We got several guys that fill Richard's role, and what we need is a #1 playmaking center - which he is clearly not.

I'm confused. I've never known Brad Richards to ever add 'grit.' Also, comparing him to Ott, who has never had a 50 point season, is a bit puzzling. I get that Richards is over the hill. He's 34. But as a veteran forward who can chip in offense, and my hope is that he'll be cheaper than other veteran help. Richards isn't a #1 C, but that doesn't mean signing Richards will eliminate the possibility of picking someone up. The bottom half of our forwards is...not pretty. I'm okay adding some firepower with Richards.
The comparison is in bold above...

I doubt he's free, which is what he should be valued to this team.

I know you aren't happy with our bottom six forwards, but there are players with more upside for the same (or less!) money.

He was playing on the 4th line in the finals... and if we want to make a cup run we shouldn't be getting 4th line guys.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Pass
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Oh. To the hell. No.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

No disrespect to the "fans", but don't most of them complain about things all season long no matter what, especially around here?

That being said, I actually agree with your post. Save the money and use it towards a real, proven #1. These trying-to-catch-lightning-in-a-bottle moves are too risky at this point. We need to win. I'm concerned that we're playing everything too cautiously and pretty soon our young studs are going to be due for a raise and we're not going to be able to keep them all. The time is now. Make a real move. We aren't that far off.

I realize we could still get Richards as a mid-roster guy, and that would probably be the expectation for him, but I'd rather take care of what we need to first, and then use what's left to fill out the roster. Basically just don't get screwed like we did with Roy...
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko