P-D: Blues might trade 1st rd pick to build around Tarasenko

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

P-D: Blues might trade 1st rd pick to build around Tarasenko

Post by dmiles2186 »

Lest we forget Schwartz is a guy to build around, as well.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... dfcaa.html

Despite coming off hand surgery and having just game of NHL playoff experience, the Blues’ Vladimir Tarasenko proved himself the team’s best offensive weapon in this year’s first-round series against Chicago. He pumped in a club-high four goals, in six games, before the Blues were bounced by the Blackhawks.

In the end, not enough players outside of Tarasenko created scoring opportunities or converted their chances.

Blues general manager Doug Armstrong admitted recently that the issue “crystalized” a deficiency in the offense, and that’s why he’s seeking to add a point-producing forward before or after this week’s NHL draft.

“We don’t have the ability to score goals when we need goals scored and I don’t know why that is,” Armstrong said. “I don’t know if it’s player-related, system-related, but we’re going to dig through that. For two years in a row, we haven’t been able to find the knockout punch when it’s been necessary.

“I think this is the first year, though, I really believe we might have that internally in a guy like Tarasenko, that might be able to grow into that player — given one opportunity he can score a goal. We have to find a way to produce more goals at the appropriate time of year. We have to find a way to do that.”

The NHL draft is not the path for immediate help this offseason.

The Blues have nine selections this year, including their first-round pick at No. 21. They retained that selection by not advancing to the Western Conference finals or re-signing Ryan Miller, under conditions of their trade with Buffalo for the netminder.

“We were hoping to lose it,” Armstrong said. “We were hoping to go deep in the playoffs.”

While the Blues can expect to get a future impact player at No. 21, Armstrong doesn’t plan on that player wearing an NHL sweater for at least three seasons.

Thus, the more likely development is the Blues including the first-round pick in a trade for an established forward, because they see that as their best opportunity to win now.

Of the players on the club’s current top line, Alexander Steen (30 years old) and T.J. Oshie (27) are signed for three more years and David Backes (30) for two.

In fact Steen, Oshie, Backes and Ryan Reaves are the only forwards with contracts beyond 2014-15, although the Blues maintain the rights for several years for players such as Tarasenko and Jaden Schwartz.

“When I look at Backes’ contract, Steen’s contract, Oshie’s contract ... I look at that as the window,” Armstrong said. “We can re-sign those players, but then again, those players are going to be 32, 33, 34 (years old) once they come up again and we’re going to need the next wave of players coming in to allow those players to gracefully go into support roles and other players take charge. So I would say we understand our window is now.”

If the Blues hang on to their first-round pick, expect them to continue to follow the “best-player-available” approach. And why not? It has worked well for them in the past.

In 2009, with puck-moving defensemen Erik Johnson and Alex Pietrangelo already in the fold, the Blues took another offensive-minded blueliner in David Rundblad.

A year later at the 2010 draft, after selecting Schwartz at No. 14, the club was able to deal Rundblad to Ottawa for the No. 16 pick and used it on Tarasenko.

“We were able to trade Rundblad for Tarasenko because the pick held the test of time,” Armstrong said. “That’s why you pick the best available player.”

After the No. 21 selection, the Blues’ scheduled picks are Nos. 33, 52, 82, 110, 124, 172 and 202. Four of the picks were acquired in trades that sent David Perron to Edmonton, B.J. Crombeen to Tampa Bay, Kris Russell to Calgary and Wade Redden to Boston.

“I know sitting in our meetings, our guys are excited to have that many picks,” Armstrong said. “Usually what separates a great draft from a good draft are the players 1-2-3 ... after that, almost all the drafts are relatively equal. You can find players and we need to find some players.”

Particularly more players such as Tarasenko.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: P-D: Blues might trade 1st rd pick to build around Taras

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I agree.

It's "all-in" at this point. I know I've said in prior posts that it's necessary to keep some of our first rounders to keep the pipeline flowing... but at the exact say time, the article is exactly right: our window to win is right now. Tarasenko took a huge step forward last season and I think Schwartz did too. Nobody on this team is getting any younger. Pietro and Shatty are in their prime. Steen, Oshie and Bakes are, but not for much longer.

If it's someone like Spezza or Kesler, I think you have to pull the trigger and assume that our first rounder this year will be gone. The likes of Ottawa and Vancouver have time to get their players together and make a run at a cup. They're each in this awkward "half rebuild" mode. We aren't. Win or bust. Get it done.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:I agree.

It's "all-in" at this point. I know I've said in prior posts that it's necessary to keep some of our first rounders to keep the pipeline flowing... but at the exact say time, the article is exactly right: our window to win is right now. Tarasenko took a huge step forward last season and I think Schwartz did too. Nobody on this team is getting any younger. Pietro and Shatty are in their prime. Steen, Oshie and Bakes are, but not for much longer.

If it's someone like Spezza or Kesler, I think you have to pull the trigger and assume that our first rounder this year will be gone. The likes of Ottawa and Vancouver have time to get their players together and make a run at a cup. They're each in this awkward "half rebuild" mode. We aren't. Win or bust. Get it done.
Agreed. I'm worried about where we'll be a decade from now. You can only go so far with trading picks for players before it catches up. However, it would be an epic waste to have come this far and not win a Cup. I'm kinda at the point where I don't care about 10 years from now if something brings us a Cup now. I mean, that's only half true. Good organizations don't have to choose either/or. But, we have to win now in the next 2-3 years, maybe a little longer. If we don't, it will be extremely frustrating.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

cardsfan04 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:I agree.

Agreed. I'm worried about where we'll be a decade from now. You can only go so far with trading picks for players before it catches up. However, it would be an epic waste to have come this far and not win a Cup. I'm kinda at the point where I don't care about 10 years from now if something brings us a Cup now. I mean, that's only half true. Good organizations don't have to choose either/or. But, we have to win now in the next 2-3 years, maybe a little longer. If we don't, it will be extremely frustrating.
Yup the league truly is cyclical. The best organizations in recent times have unfortunately been our rivals (Red Wings in the 90's-arguably even to today; Blackhawks 2008-today) at balancing that mix between keep the elite players together, adding here and there and making repetitive runs at Stanley Cups year in and year out. It's a very difficult thing to duplicate, obviously. Maybe it's bad luck, I don't know. But yea, for the Blues it's clear these next 3-4 seasons, maybe even shorter, are about the length of time we have to get a cup title won. Because I agree with you. Five years down the road with few first round picks and not retaining many of the trades we made for those players we dealt those picks FOR... it's tough.

A-Yo1965
Prospect
Prospect

Post by A-Yo1965 »

You know everyone, I really want the Blues to go after Kessel. I like his game so much more than Kesler. Oshie and Shatty for Kessel. Two Olympians for one and the salary is pretty much a push but if anyone of you have watched a Leafs game which I did more than a few times last year, their defense is HORRIBLE! Shatty can help and Oshie is somewhat a replacement for Kessel.

Slim
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Slim »

A-Yo1965 wrote:You know everyone, I really want the Blues to go after Kessel. I like his game so much more than Kesler. Oshie and Shatty for Kessel. Two Olympians for one and the salary is pretty much a push but if anyone of you have watched a Leafs game which I did more than a few times last year, their defense is HORRIBLE! Shatty can help and Oshie is somewhat a replacement for Kessel.
No.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

A-Yo1965 wrote:You know everyone, I really want the Blues to go after Kessel. I like his game so much more than Kesler. Oshie and Shatty for Kessel. Two Olympians for one and the salary is pretty much a push but if anyone of you have watched a Leafs game which I did more than a few times last year, their defense is HORRIBLE! Shatty can help and Oshie is somewhat a replacement for Kessel.
That's a 4 balls for 1 ball trade. Horribly lopsided.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I wouldn't do that trade.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Bringing Speeza on would give you guys a big gun on your offense. I agree to build around Tarasenko as he is a rising star and gave us quite a few problems this past playoffs.

Edit: fixed my typo - sorry :)
Last edited by Kerfuffle on Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Kerfuffle wrote:Bringing Speeza on would give you guy a bug gun on your offense. I agree to build around Tarasenko as he is a rising star and gave us quite a few problems this past playoffs.
Dude, that sounds horrifying. But I suppose it could be effective...

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I think the board is pretty much in agreement that Spezza is the guy we should be going after. There are enough parts to get a deal done, and I am going to be upset if the leadership can't make it happen.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:I think the board is pretty much in agreement that Spezza is the guy we should be going after. There are enough parts to get a deal done, and I am going to be upset if the leadership can't make it happen.
The white elephant in the room though is the Ottawa GM and whether he will be reasonable for what he wants in return. As much as Speeza can help the Blues, you also have to be careful not to overpay. If there are several teams going for Speeza it will become a bidding war and that would up the ante.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:I think the board is pretty much in agreement that Spezza is the guy we should be going after. There are enough parts to get a deal done, and I am going to be upset if the leadership can't make it happen.
It really just boils down to cost and I would venture to guess that's what 90% of the talks about Spezza are about, from all teams interested.

Army just got "robbed" on a trade on another temporary player that didn't work (Miller) and he's probably justifiably concerned about it happening again and paying too much for a guy that could walk after one year. Yea we get Spezza for a whole season to "gel" with the team and for him to settle in and enjoy it in St. Louis but the reality is there's no guarantee and it's not much different than a trade deadline acquisition. Murray has said he wants a top return for a top player but ourselves, Anaheim, and whoever else is in the running are all saying "yea but for only a year." Just have to find that sweet spot.

Assuming it's not astronomical, the reality is that as long as we're willing to pay just a bit more than Anaheim or whoever else is, we should be acquiring him. I personally think it'd be a major letdown if we DON'T acquire Spezza. Again, assuming the price isn't insane.

C'mooooooon Army.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Kerfuffle wrote:
The white elephant in the room though is the Ottawa GM and whether he will be reasonable for what he wants in return. As much as Speeza can help the Blues, you also have to be careful not to overpay. If there are several teams going for Speeza it will become a bidding war and that would up the ante.
And, if you haven't noticed, this explanation has been used over and over for years by Blues' management. "We couldn't get in a bidding war, so that's why we have a team full of fourth-line players. TICKETS AVAILABLE NOW!"
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

#1 guy I'd go after is Stastny. Spezza is #2 on my list, but Spezza is the one who is "available" right now.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Look, it's time to mortgage the future. This team is a couple of offensive threats away from a cup run. The cost is fine.

We are going to have to blow the whole thing up and reload in two years... let's do this now - not five years from now.

A-Yo1965
Prospect
Prospect

Post by A-Yo1965 »

I am sorry guys, so why is Oshie and Shattenkirk for Kessel a bad deal?

We have to give to get and as much as a fan favorite Oshie is, he isn't a scorer. The Blues NEED a scorer and Shattenkirk always has trouble in the playoffs with the bigger skilled forwards. This year was no exception.

Or even Berg instead of Oshie.

The window is closing and dealing to get Kessel and Spezza some how, in an intellegent good for both teams could be what the Blues need to have them become just like the Kings. Two big moves, moving three/four key younger players turned that franchise into two-time cup winners.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Shatty and Oshie is a giant overpay...and more salary than I think they want back in return.

It shouldn't take that much to get a deal done. Ottawa is looking to rebuild if they are dumping Spezza...that means they would want younger guys with smaller salaries, not prime players with prime contracts. They are looking for a younger, cheaper D-man would be my guess.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Lecavalier now in the mix, according to reports.

Flyers looking to move him before July 1 since he's apparently due a $2 million signing bonus on that date for whoever team he's with. I'd still rather have Spezza or Kesler.

A-Yo1965
Prospect
Prospect

Post by A-Yo1965 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:Shatty and Oshie is a giant overpay...and more salary than I think they want back in return.

It shouldn't take that much to get a deal done. Ottawa is looking to rebuild if they are dumping Spezza...that means they would want younger guys with smaller salaries, not prime players with prime contracts. They are looking for a younger, cheaper D-man would be my guess.
Isn't it pretty much a push salary wise? Kessel is getting about seven isn't he?

Could be a lot to pay yet again, I still see this as the moving of three young, good players to get a couple of scorers that would be what the Blues need.

Berg/Cole to Toronto for Kessel?
Oshie/draft pick for Spezza?

I am kind of Meh City when it comes to Kesler. Would rather have Stasny instead (well duh) but you know what I am saying.