Blues re-sign Berglund to 3 year deal

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Blues re-sign Berglund to 3 year deal

Post by dmiles2186 »

The board won't be happy with this one.

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Blues re-sign Berglund to 3 year deal

Post by STLADOGG »

:cup: ?

:facepalm:
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

What the (Frank)? I don't even
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

There is no way Berglund deserves more than 1m a year, in my opinion
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

KrustyKevo wrote:There is no way Berglund deserves more than 1m a year, in my opinion
I was going to say, I would have been cool if this was 3rd liner money he was getting. But this isn't 3rd liner money.

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

dmiles2186 wrote:
KrustyKevo wrote:There is no way Berglund deserves more than 1m a year, in my opinion
I was going to say, I would have been cool if this was 3rd liner money he was getting. But this isn't 3rd liner money.
Let's face it, the guy is an NHL player that consistently plays at an AHL level. I would sooner pay Cracknell 3mil than Berglund.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
Exactly. I was expecting to see that we got him for like $2.25 mil or something, not $3.7. Oh well, hopefully this will be the year he finally lives to his potential. You know what they always say. "7th time is the charm."
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Gotta be sign and trade. Gotta be.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Toasted Oates wrote:Gotta be sign and trade. Gotta be.
My optimistic side is hoping for this too. In the words of Lennon/McCartney, 'Let it be. Oh, let it be.'

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

Who would take on his salary, though? Or would we still have to pay it?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

KrustyKevo wrote:
His salary hurts his trade value some, but if a team is interested in acquiring Berglund, $3.7 mil isn't going to scare them off. As fans, we may not like him, but the idea that he's worth $1 mil/year is pretty over the top. His contract won't cripple an organization's payroll flexibility and doesn't make him untradable.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Depending on how Schwartz's deal plays out, Berglund is the 4th highest paid forward on this team.

He was the 8th leading scoring forward and if Stewart hadn't been traded likely the 9th.

Discuss.

If I'm Schwartz, I know my basement price now. :facepalm: Brilliant Army. Brilliant.

Oh well. It happened. Earn it Bergie. That's all I can say at this point.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

cardsfan04 wrote:
KrustyKevo wrote:
His salary hurts his trade value some, but if a team is interested in acquiring Berglund, $3.7 mil isn't going to scare them off. As fans, we may not like him, but the idea that he's worth $1 mil/year is pretty over the top. His contract won't cripple an organization's payroll flexibility and doesn't make him untradable.
And there's a few teams like Florida and Buffalo who are going to be struggling to reach the salary cap floor so for teams like them a three year $3.7 cap hit is a good thing.

I just don't know of a single player on Florida or Buffalo we'd want that they'd be willing to part with. BRING STEWART BACK :lol: :roll:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

beat2life
Rookie
Rookie

Post by beat2life »

unreal. Seeing that headline made me feel the same overwhelming despair I did the day we resigned Brewer.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

I don't think this is a bad signing at all. Locking in for three years probably makes him a more attractive trade asset than being an RFA with arbitration rights.

Even if he stays its not a bad contract. Berglund is not a bad player; he just should be better than his is given his skill set and size. That said among NHL forwards playing in 62 or more games last season, Berglund was 37th in the NHL in CF%. Of the 10 Blues forwards who qualified, he was smack dab in the middle at #5 right behind Backes and just ahead of Oshie. He's better and younger than most of his "cap comparables."

As far as Schwartz is concerned, this deal is largely irrelevent. This is Schwartz's first year as an RFA and he isn't arbitration eligible. So this doesn't set the bar for a deal for him, though if we are smart we ought to offer him 5 years at the same AAV, cause next summer we will likely be paying him more than this deal.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

A player under contract, in my mind, is going to make a stronger case of trade value than any rental. Spezza for instance :). If those rumors hold water, I wonder what the 'And what else' is going to be if it happens. At this point I'd ship Bergy + Shatt for Spezz +. Sorry, don't have a plus what in mind beyond it needing to be depth of some sort, no goalies.

On a tangent, I know we're loaded with wingers, but if the price is right, and it seems this guy's price is raising the Cup, what about Iginla? Looked great in the playoffs and is still very productive. A one year deal might not hurt? Or do we lack cap space if we end up with Spezz, et al?
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

It's a sign and trade, or else it's the...

2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Maybe they can help Florida reach the floor by trading Bergie for fla's 1st rounder then trade Rattie and Shatty for Spezza. Yeah that would be too good to be true.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... 2d852.html

If the pre-NHL draft buzz wasn’t already heightened for Blues’ fans, it is now.

The Blues have nine picks, including the No. 21 overall selection, in the two-day draft that starts at 6 tonight at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia.

But it’s not the amateurs who will be added to the Blues’ system that has everyone’s interest peaked — it’s the possibility of the Blues trading for an established center such as Ottawa’s Jason Spezza.

General manager Doug Armstrong will need all of his pucks in a row to make such a move, and the re-signing of Patrik Berglund Thursday was possibly a pre-cursor.

The Blues and Berglund agreed to terms on a three-year contract extension, a move that because of its timing might suggest the Swedish center could be used in a trade.

Berglund’s three-year contract — his longest since his entry-level deal in 2008 — is worth $11.1 million for an average annual value of $3.7 million.

Set to become a restricted free agent on Tuesday, and holding some leverage with arbitration rights, Berglund has been at the center of much speculation.

The Senators are said to be seeking a top-six forward, a prospect and a first-round draft pick in exchange for Spezza.

It would seem to benefit the Blues to have any negotiating chips under contract. A trading partner could be hesitant to make a deal if there’s any uncertainty about being able to re-sign the player.

Armstrong was unavailable Thursday, but he was asked recently if Berglund was garnering attention from other NHL teams.

“Yeah, he would have a lot of interest around the league,” Armstrong said. “But he has a lot of interest with me, too.”

Berglund, 26, recently wrapped up his sixth season with the Blues. He has 106 goals and 220 points in 436 NHL games.

In 2013-14, Berglund had 14 goals, 32 points and was a plus-10 in 78 games. He suffered a shoulder injury in the second-to-last game of the regular season in Dallas and missed the first two games of the first-round playoff series loss to Chicago.

“I don’t think Patrik was over the moon with his season,” Armstrong said recently. “Moving from centering to wing, he never really solidified his spot anywhere on our team. We need more from him and he probably needs more from us.”

Berglund was one of three Blues’ RFAs heading into the offseason. The other two are Vladimir Sobotka and Jaden Schwartz.

Ten days ago, Peter Wallen, Berglund’s agent, told the Post-Dispatch in an email that there was “nothing to report yet,” and last week Armstrong said he didn’t expect any of the Blues’ free agents to be re-signed before July 1.

Armstrong has never been in a rush to sign RFAs in the past and it’s doubtful that the Blues were fearful of a team tendering Berglund an offer sheet.

But if the Blues are in the midst of making a deal, and Berglund is potentially involved, the timing of the signing makes sense.

Ottawa general manager Bryan Murray did speak with reporters in Philadelphia Thursday, but offered no update on the progress of a potential deal.

“The draft doesn’t start until (6 p.m. St. Louis time),” Murray said. “It’s very possible there could be a (Friday) afternoon conversation.

“I’m not a betting man, so I won’t give any odds. I’m not sure at this point. I’m certainly having some discussions, not as much as I thought I might have, but there are ... a few people talking to me that have expressed interest.”

In addition to the Blues and Anaheim, speculation Thursday added Chicago and Florida to the Spezza Sweepstakes.

The center does have a modified no-trade clause that allows him to decline a deal to a list of 10 teams that he’s already provided the Senators. The Blues are believed to be on his list of approved destinations.