Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Post by dmiles2186 »

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]
Last edited by dmiles2186 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Post by flyingnote38 »

Didn't see this coming
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Who's going to have a door to open now?
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Let's go to the Leafs fans for a reaction!

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

Hmm....

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

I don't know much about Gunnarsson but he had the highest +/- rating on the Leafs last season on an otherwise poor defensive team. Highest, meaning he was actually +12. The next best was +2 with the rest being in the negatives. Some as low as -20's. Numbers wise, he seems fairly similar to Polak, although I doubt he's as tough...not many are.

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

Kinda sad Polak will be missed, but I really think we came out on top on this one Gunnarsson is offensive minded should make the blue line a little more interesting. On the other hand Polak had a nasty hit and was a take no shit fighter....Gunnarsson is not but that may not be a bad thing.

Pick 94- Ville Husso - Goalie
Last edited by APOD on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

Jaykay
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by Jaykay »

well shit, i like polak a lot, he looks so bad ass, I would no like to face him on the wing :aaaa:

on the other side, it's not about looking bad ass, so since i don't know gunnarsson, i just hope it turns out good :okman:
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Paul Stastny

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Looks like we gave up toughness for some more sound defensive play and the Leafs added some toughness that they apparently felt they really needed.

I'm on the fence. Polak was that nasty, bruising defenseman that I think every team needs to have. Jackman can't do it anymore, Petro and Shatty don't play that way, we sure as heck aren't going to get it from Cole/Cola (if we re-sign him) or Leopold... hmmm.

But hell, we got a pick out of it, the Leafs took a bit of the cap hit, he appears to be a very responsible defenseman... hard to complain. Welcome to the 'Note Carl!
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

I like this trade. Especially considering we got a pick
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Whatever, Still have to score to win.

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

Most of the Leafs fans on the hockey's future forum are saying they got robbed.
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

first reaction: Polak is only 28? Seriously?

second reaction: assuming Gunnarsson recovers from his hip surgery ok, this sure looks like highway robbery. We get better younger cheaper.....and a pick.....and they retain $200 K salary
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

I really really like Polak, but I think this is a good move, especially getting the 3rd rounder. You have to give value to get value.
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

At first I wasn't so sure about this move....then after hearing how Gunnersson was more offensive, I figured, ok...sounds good. But then after actually looking at Gunnersson's numbers...he isn't more offensive minded at all.

He only has 3 more points than Polak last year, who is absolutely not offensive minded...and Polak had one more goal than Gunnersson...so I'm not sure where the offensive defenseman comments came from. Gunnersson seems to get 3 or 4 goals and in the low teens in assists each year. Offensive? Meh...no. :doh:

We saved some cap space because Toronto ate some of his salary.

Gunnersson's plus minus on a bad defensive team is nice to see, and there's the salary cap hit...but other than that, I can't think of a reason why this is a good move.
I can't recall seeing him play...so I can't comment on it too much.

Seeing as we are in the running for a cup next season, Armstrong feels this move makes our team better. So I guess I'll defer to his judgement, because I don't see the silver lining in this, other than saving a few hundred thousand in cap space and losing some toughness in our own zone (even though Gunnersson outhit Polak last year...but whatever).
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

"We paid a strong price to get what we hope is a strong player. (But) it was a deal that we were very comfortable making. We could have used (Barret) Jackman or (Ian) Cole in that position, as we've done in the past. But you're always looking to tweak your roster and we were able to do that."

So the Blues intentions are to pair Bouwmeester with Pietrangelo, Gunnarsson with Shattenkirk and Cole on the right side with either Jackman or Jordan Leopold.

"Ian has been wanting this responsibility for a number of years, and now he has the door wide open for that spot on the right side," Armstrong said. "I leave that up to the coaches, but in the thought process of making that trade, we want to get Ian into our group and he provides the size and power that we're losing in Roman. Then, we're going to have great competition between Jackman and Leopold, rounding out our group."

Armstrong added that Gunnarsson's ability to play with a top defenseman and against the opponents' best offensive players allows the Blues to split up the pair of Bouwmeester and Pietrangelo if the team desires.

Gunnarrson averaged 19 minutes, 24 seconds of ice time per game in 2013-14, playing primarily with Phaneuf. He had three goals and 17 points, but perhaps more importantly was his plus-12 rating on a team that ranked No. 26 in the NHL in goals-against (3.07 per game).

"I talked to guys that have played against him and some of our own players that know him...he's a quick first-pass player, reads the game well, defends with his head," Armstrong said. "We believe the strength of our team is to get the puck up and attack. We want to give the centerman the puck at the right spot and Gunnarsson does that."
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

I like this move a lot. Polak is an average d-man on any other team. He served the Blues well. He will be missed but Gunnarsson is a Top 4 d-man IMO. We just fleeced the Leafs and got a bonus pick who is now Goalie Ville Husso. Toews will have a harder time getting by this guy, he really knows the game. Another puzzle piece in place. Good job Army.

Carl Gunnarsson
Elite Prospects wrote:A steady two-way defenseman who is often in the right place at the right time. Not overly physical, but reads the game well and has a knack for putting himself in a good position againt opposing attackers. Could probably do more offensively since he's a good passer.
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

APOD wrote:
"We paid a strong price to get what we hope is a strong player. (But) it was a deal that we were very comfortable making. We could have used (Barret) Jackman or (Ian) Cole in that position, as we've done in the past. But you're always looking to tweak your roster and we were able to do that."

So the Blues intentions are to pair Bouwmeester with Pietrangelo, Gunnarsson with Shattenkirk and Cole on the right side with either Jackman or Jordan Leopold.

"Ian has been wanting this responsibility for a number of years, and now he has the door wide open for that spot on the right side," Armstrong said. "I leave that up to the coaches, but in the thought process of making that trade, we want to get Ian into our group and he provides the size and power that we're losing in Roman. Then, we're going to have great competition between Jackman and Leopold, rounding out our group."

Armstrong added that Gunnarsson's ability to play with a top defenseman and against the opponents' best offensive players allows the Blues to split up the pair of Bouwmeester and Pietrangelo if the team desires.

Gunnarrson averaged 19 minutes, 24 seconds of ice time per game in 2013-14, playing primarily with Phaneuf. He had three goals and 17 points, but perhaps more importantly was his plus-12 rating on a team that ranked No. 26 in the NHL in goals-against (3.07 per game).

"I talked to guys that have played against him and some of our own players that know him...he's a quick first-pass player, reads the game well, defends with his head," Armstrong said. "We believe the strength of our team is to get the puck up and attack. We want to give the centerman the puck at the right spot and Gunnarsson does that."
So now we just need a centerman...

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

cprice12 wrote:At first I wasn't so sure about this move....then after hearing how Gunnersson was more offensive, I figured, ok...sounds good. But then after actually looking at Gunnersson's numbers...he isn't more offensive minded at all.

He only has 3 more points than Polak last year, who is absolutely not offensive minded...and Polak had one more goal than Gunnersson...so I'm not sure where the offensive defenseman comments came from. Gunnersson seems to get 3 or 4 goals and in the low teens in assists each year. Offensive? Meh...no. :doh:

sure the numbers are similar but Polak had twice as many SOG leading me to GUESS Gunnarsson will get more chances here leading to more scoring.
More hits more blocked shots too I think we made out.

Gunnersson's plus minus on a bad defensive team is nice to see, and there's the salary cap hit...but other than that, I can't think of a reason why this is a good move.
I can't recall seeing him play...so I can't comment on it too much.

Yea it is his plus-12 rating on a team that ranked No. 26 in the NHL in goals-against (3.07 per game).

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I also read that Gunnarsson played more minutes than Polak, and because he was paired with Phaneuf, he was playing other teams' top guys quite a bit. Numbers aside, we traded a 2nd/borderline 3rd pair Dman for a 2nd pair Dman and a pick to boot. On paper, that's a win. But I'm going to miss Polak. That guy was a beast for us. We'll always have this...

[youtube][/youtube]

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

Misc. Blues wrote:I like this move a lot. Polak is an average d-man on any other team. He served the Blues well. He will be missed but Gunnarsson is a Top 4 d-man IMO. We just fleeced the Leafs and got a bonus pick who is now Goalie Ville Husso. Toews will have a harder time getting by this guy, he really knows the game. Another puzzle piece in place. Good job Army.

Carl Gunnarsson
Elite Prospects wrote:A steady two-way defenseman who is often in the right place at the right time. Not overly physical, but reads the game well and has a knack for putting himself in a good position againt opposing attackers. Could probably do more offensively since he's a good passer.
Absolutely. This is pretty much my thoughts on this trade.