Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Re: Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Post by KrustyKevo »

dmiles2186 wrote:I also read that Gunnarsson played more minutes than Polak, and because he was paired with Phaneuf, he was playing other teams' top guys quite a bit. Numbers aside, we traded a 2nd/borderline 3rd pair Dman for a 2nd pair Dman and a pick to boot. On paper, that's a win. But I'm going to miss Polak. That guy was a beast for us. We'll always have this...

[youtube][/youtube]
(Frank) yeah. The Sobotka tackle is just as great as Polak's fight. If they ever trade Boat...... I don't know what I would do

You will be missed greatly, Polak
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm cool with this deal, but it's not what I was hoping for. We'll see when free agency hits what materializes but they better the hell get themselves a #1 center... and he didn't come from the draft, that's for shit sure. Maybe someday, but not today.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

What about gunnarsons hip?
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

Frusciante
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Frusciante »

I just read an article about the trade in a swedish newspaper, where they interviewed Gunnarsson about the trade. I took the liberty of translating it for you:

- I'm having mixed emotions right now and a lot of thoughts are going through my mind. Also, there's a lot of things that need to be taken care of (when you get traded). On the bright side I'm leaving for a hell of a team, with a few swedes that I know. Patrik Berglund and Alexander Steen. And Joakim Lindström is going to be there as well, so that'll be fun.

You didn't see this coming?

- No, it was totally out of the blue. Especially since I just had the surgery. I definitely didn't expect this.

Why do you think the trade happened?

- Brendan Shanahan just took over and I guess he wants to put his mark on the team right away. But I don't know if it was Toronto or St Louis who was pushing for this deal to happen.

What do you have to say about the St Louis Blues team?

- A top team in the league, always hard to play against. It will be fun to play there.

What are you going to miss about Toronto?

- I've been with the Maple Leafs for five years now, and I'll miss my teammates, my friends in the city as well as the fans and even the media. Everyone has been really nice to me. I'm one of the players who's been here the longest and after five seasons I'm really gonna miss Toronto.

How's the hip?

- Allright, I'm in phase with my rehab and hope to be ready for the premiere in October.

Obviously it's never fun to be traded against your will, but he doesn't seem to be overly excited about coming here. I also read that his first reaction to the trade was that "it sucks". Maybe just a phrase spoken in frustration and shock, but nevertheless, I hope he'll be more satisfied with it when he shows up for camp in September. Hopefully all those swedes will help him settle in quickly. I wouldn't count on his buddy the Bergdog being here by then though...

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Thanks for the translation. I don't blame him at all for having mixed reactions. After Toronto drafted William Nylander on Friday, Gunnarsson sent his fellow Swede a welcome to the organization on Twitter. A day later, he gets traded, so the sting is understandable. It totally came out of nowhere, and having just undergone hip surgery I'm sure he feels the Leafs viewed him as damaged goods. We'll see how it works out.

I'll miss Polak for the San Jose fight and his propensity to stick up for his teammates. Also, he was an entertaining interview on the radio post game shows with his broken English and brutal honesty. Here's hoping he ends up with a nice career up there.

I don't think Gunnarsson will score many more goals than Polak, but he's known for his skating and moving the puck. Even in Bouwmeester's first game here, it was refreshing to see a swift footed defenseman wear a Blues jersey after what we were used to. You always love to see a D man get on the stat sheet, but as long as he can still skate well and accelerate play up the ice, this could be a damn good trade.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Well I'm waiting to evaluate all of this at the end of the offseason because I can't really fathom it now. I'd have preferred to give Polak for the pick, clear the salary and give his minutes to Cole who seems-like Gunnarson-to be only marginally if at all different from Polak in terms of talent/effectiveness. I don't like acquiring damaged goods personally but whatever on that. I'm not a doctor, and presumably the brass got the ok from the medical staff to do this.

I can't see how the moves so far address the team's shortcomings. THAT'S WHY WE'RE READING INTO THINGS, ARMY!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

It doesn't matter how swift footed Gunnarsson (or anyone else for that matter) is, Hitchcock's system is one that wears down the team by the time it matters. It's the same thing that happened to the Rags when Tortorella was coaching them. Great regular season, postseason meltdown.

What this team needs is a much more hybrid system that maybe they give up more goals but also score more goals and not wear everyone down over the long haul.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ecbm wrote:I can't see how the moves so far address the team's shortcomings. THAT'S WHY WE'RE READING INTO THINGS, ARMY!!!
It addresses the need to have a lefty shot to pair with Shattenkirk, which has been stated.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

glen a richter wrote:It doesn't matter how swift footed Gunnarsson (or anyone else for that matter) is, Hitchcock's system is one that wears down the team by the time it matters. It's the same thing that happened to the Rags when Tortorella was coaching them. Great regular season, postseason meltdown.

What this team needs is a much more hybrid system that maybe they give up more goals but also score more goals and not wear everyone down over the long haul.
I didn't think the Blues looked worn down against the Hawks. They actually looked quite good, aside from game #6. They just couldn't bury their chances.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I agree, Curt. I thought we had plenty of jump in the series - we just couldn't finish our chances. We created well, just failed to convert. The futility on the PP was the most glaring, imo.

I like this move, although I like Polak. I feel like this is an upgrade for a reasonable price.

I can't fault the GM for trying here. The move doesn't make much sense to me from Toronto's perspective though. I don't know what I am missing about their perceived needs.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:I agree, Curt. I thought we had plenty of jump in the series - we just couldn't finish our chances. We created well, just failed to convert. The futility on the PP was the most glaring, imo.

I like this move, although I like Polak. I feel like this is an upgrade for a reasonable price.

I can't fault the GM for trying here. The move doesn't make much sense to me from Toronto's perspective though. I don't know what I am missing about their perceived needs.

Yea it seems like a strange trade for Toronto. Let's not forget we also got a pick out of the deal, which we used to get what some considered the best goaltender in the draft. Who knows if he'll pan out, but adding assets with large upside never hurts. Most people labeled us winners of this trade with just the players involved, the additional pick was kind of gravy.
Last edited by ViPeRx007 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:I can't fault the GM for trying here. The move doesn't make much sense to me from Toronto's perspective though. I don't know what I am missing about their perceived needs.
Shanahan still Bleeds Blue :okman:

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

dmiles2186 wrote:
ecbm wrote:I can't see how the moves so far address the team's shortcomings. THAT'S WHY WE'RE READING INTO THINGS, ARMY!!!
It addresses the need to have a lefty shot to pair with Shattenkirk, which has been stated.
Did Shattenkirk not playing with a left-handed shot strike you as a significant problem last season? Never really occurred to me. I think the thing Army actually wanted here was the draft pick-and I have no problem with that especially considering the Blues' D prospects. Still leaves me to speculate as to what the front office has planned to address needs...

I also second Glen's comment above. I thought the Blues did look worn out late in the season and in the playoffs, and I do think Hitch's "chase, chase, chase" system has something to do with that. That could partly explain all the wayward shots and instances of handling the puck too long vs. CHI.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

since we weren't expecting anything a D really, I wonder if there's any chance we move Leopold and either sign or acquire a different guy for our 3rd pairing. Is Mark Fayne a pipe dream?
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

This trade f*****g blows. We trade the guy who has had the most memorable fight in the last ten years? Really? F*****g really?

And for some f*****g pansy?

Just powerflush this franchise into the shitter already. I hope this team moves to motherfucking Nunavut.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

goon attack wrote:This trade f*****g blows. We trade the guy who has had the most memorable fight in the last ten years? Really? F*****g really?

Just powerflush this franchise into the shitter already. I hope this team moves to (Frank) Nunavut.
Gunnersson had more hits than Polak last year...and he had a bad hip most of the year.
Just sayin'.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

cprice12 wrote:
goon attack wrote:This trade f*****g blows. We trade the guy who has had the most memorable fight in the last ten years? Really? F*****g really?

Just powerflush this franchise into the shitter already. I hope this team moves to (Frank) Nunavut.
Gunnersson had more hits than Polak last year...and he had a bad hip most of the year.
Just sayin'.
I've always had a problem with how hits are calculated as a statistic. Plus, it's a stat that suggests they're all the same in terms of affect-like goals-which they aren't. Gunnarson is listed at 185lbs, he probably actually weighs less. I'm not so much worried about fights as having a defenseman who could move a guy out of the low slot. I've watched Gunnarson enough to know he isn't that guy.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

this team is now much softer than it was a few months ago. With Stewart and Polak gone, we lost to legit badasses.

The only way to succeed with a team this pansified is to have ultra talent, which we don't. I love the Stastny signing, but this team is shaky right now if you ask me. more grit needed both up front and on D.

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Jettison Berglund immediately for someone, anyone with some consistency and balls, I say.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

goon attack wrote:this team is now much softer than it was a few months ago. With Stewart and Polak gone, we lost to legit badasses.

The only way to succeed with a team this pansified is to have ultra talent, which we don't. I love the Stastny signing, but this team is shaky right now if you ask me. more grit needed both up front and on D.
Honestly, grit shouldn't be difficult to add...so long as it isn't Butcher and Quinn for Courtnall, Momesso, Drake, & Ronning.

Sutter wanted more toughness for the playoffs...and that move sucked.

I don't get the Stewart and grit comment. He was invisible on the ice most nights and shied away from contact most of the time. He no doubt has a lot of talent and can be tough/gritty, but he didn't display either near often enough for me to want him back to add to our "toughness" or "grit".
LETS GO BLUES RADIO