Blues sign Stastny @ 4 yrs, $28 mil

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Doohickie
Prospect
Prospect

Re: Blues sign Stastny @ 4 yrs, $28 mil

Post by Doohickie »

Congrats on landing Stastny.

You probably don't remember me but I showed up after the trade deadline following Ott and Miller (I'm a Sabres fan). Buffalo fans mentioned Stastny as a desirable signing, but we really didn't expect to land him. Good to hear he ended up in his hometown.

The Sabres brought in a lot of character guys to teach our youngin's how the game is played at the NHL level. I don't think the Sabres will be much better this year than last, but the future at least looks bright. We're encouraged by the no-BS of new GM Tim Murray. The guy doesn't sugar coat anything. Encouraged that two of the guys we traded away at the deadline (Moulson, McCormick) signed back on with the Sabres. Ott is apparently still in play but the feeling is Buffalo isn't actively pursuing their old captain. But you never know.

Sorry Miller and Ott didn't bring you the Cup. We honestly thought they'd be good pieces for St Louis, but they just didn't get it done. Maybe Stastny can push you over the hump. Good luck this season.

Electric Blue
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Electric Blue »

We should call the Jaden Schwartz / Jori Lehtera / Vladimir Tarasenko the Slut line.. :P
I think the STL line would be more appropriate.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Misc. Blues wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
Misc. Blues wrote:
APOD wrote:Alexander Steen / Paul Stastny / David Backes
Jaden Schwartz / Jori Lehtera / Vladimir Tarasenko
Magnus Paajarvi / Vladimir Sobotka / T.J. Oshie
Joakim Lindstrom / Maxim Lapierre / Berglund or his replacement by trade
Dmitrij Jaskin / Ryan Reaves
Chris Porter AHL

Jay Bouwmeester / Alex Pietrangelo
Carl Gunnarsson / Kevin Shattenkirk
Barret Jackman / Ian Cole
Jordan Leopold
Fixed that for you :wink:
Yeah, Cole > Leopold. Not sure why he'd be penciled in at #7.

I really really like that 2nd line. I know Lehtera has zero NHL experience but he's played and played well at a nearly equally high level and has chemistry with Tarasenko. That line could be something special.

However... Who is this Backus you speak of? Is he as good as Backes?
LOL typo... We should call the Jaden Schwartz / Jori Lehtera / Vladimir Tarasenko the Slut line.. :P
I guess thanks for not suggesting that we call it VJJ? :facepalm:
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Doohickie wrote:Congrats on landing Stastny.

You probably don't remember me but I showed up after the trade deadline following Ott and Miller (I'm a Sabres fan). Buffalo fans mentioned Stastny as a desirable signing, but we really didn't expect to land him. Good to hear he ended up in his hometown.

The Sabres brought in a lot of character guys to teach our youngin's how the game is played at the NHL level. I don't think the Sabres will be much better this year than last, but the future at least looks bright. We're encouraged by the no-BS of new GM Tim Murray. The guy doesn't sugar coat anything. Encouraged that two of the guys we traded away at the deadline (Moulson, McCormick) signed back on with the Sabres. Ott is apparently still in play but the feeling is Buffalo isn't actively pursuing their old captain. But you never know.

Sorry Miller and Ott didn't bring you the Cup. We honestly thought they'd be good pieces for St Louis, but they just didn't get it done. Maybe Stastny can push you over the hump. Good luck this season.
Thanks.
You know, as far as playoffs go, Ott and Miller were fine. It was our PP and offense that let us down vs. Chicago...and great strides were taken yesterday to improve that situation. Personally, I couldn't be much happier.

I've actually always kind of liked the Sabres. I think it stems back to when I was a kid and calling up the folks from the Great Skate catalog, which is located near Buffalo...and hearing clips from Sabres games while on hold. It may seem like a nothing thing, but it's weird what can make you pull for a team a little more than others. I'd sit and flip through the Great Skate catalog for hours while watching Blues games. I was pulling for Buffalo in the finals vs. Dallas...partly also because I didn't want to see Hull win a cup just after leaving St. Louis. I'm vindictive that way. :grin:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

cprice12 wrote:

Thanks.
You know, as far as playoffs go, Ott and Miller were fine. It was our PP and offense that let us down vs. Chicago...and great strides were taken yesterday to improve that situation. Personally, I couldn't be much happier.

I've actually always kind of liked the Sabres. I think it stems back to when I was a kid and calling up the folks from the Great Skate catalog, which is located near Buffalo...and hearing clips from Sabres games while on hold. It may seem like a nothing thing, but it's weird what can make you pull for a team a little more than others. I'd sit and flip through the Great Skate catalog for hours while watching Blues games. I was pulling for Buffalo in the finals vs. Dallas...partly also because I didn't want to see Hull win a cup just after leaving St. Louis. I'm vindictive that way. :grin:
I've always kind of liked Buffalo as well. I think it's because of Mogilny and LaFontaine though, mostly. They were always players I followed growing up and happened to be on the team at that time.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

ComradeT wrote:
Misc. Blues wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
Misc. Blues wrote:
APOD wrote:Alexander Steen / Paul Stastny / David Backes
Jaden Schwartz / Jori Lehtera / Vladimir Tarasenko
Magnus Paajarvi / Vladimir Sobotka / T.J. Oshie
Joakim Lindstrom / Maxim Lapierre / Berglund or his replacement by trade
Dmitrij Jaskin / Ryan Reaves
Chris Porter AHL

Jay Bouwmeester / Alex Pietrangelo
Carl Gunnarsson / Kevin Shattenkirk
Barret Jackman / Ian Cole
Jordan Leopold
Fixed that for you :wink:
Yeah, Cole > Leopold. Not sure why he'd be penciled in at #7.

I really really like that 2nd line. I know Lehtera has zero NHL experience but he's played and played well at a nearly equally high level and has chemistry with Tarasenko. That line could be something special.

However... Who is this Backus you speak of? Is he as good as Backes?
LOL typo... We should call the Jaden Schwartz / Jori Lehtera / Vladimir Tarasenko the Slut line.. :P
I guess thanks for not suggesting that we call it VJJ? :facepalm:
We could just go TSL (top scoring line) 8)
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:

Thanks.

I've always kind of liked Buffalo as well. I think it's because of Mogilny and LaFontaine though, mostly. They were always players I followed growing up and happened to be on the team at that time.
I've liked Buffalo since they got robbed in 99
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I liked Buffalo too but then they got rid of these...

for these....

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

dmiles2186 wrote:I liked Buffalo too but then they got rid of these...

for these....

You mean Pomminvilles for Otts? :mrgreen:
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

for these....

I love those blue Buffalo sweaters. I was pretty close to buying a #9 Roy one at one point(when Roy was a good player).
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Man, the Blues-Avs rivalry is gonna be even bigger. I would love to see a Blues-Avs outdoor game next year.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

STLADOGG wrote:Man, the Blues-Avs rivalry is gonna be even bigger. I would love to see a Blues-Avs outdoor game next year.
:plusplus:

It used to be that a team would only have one or two true rivals. It seems like just a few years ago ours were Chicago and Detroit. That was really about it. I'd put LA and COL very close to being rivals if they aren't already, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the rest of the Central there soon.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:Man, the Blues-Avs rivalry is gonna be even bigger. I would love to see a Blues-Avs outdoor game next year.

It used to be that a team would only have one or two true rivals. It seems like just a few years ago ours were Chicago and Detroit. That was really about it. I'd put LA and COL very close to being rivals if they aren't already, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the rest of the Central there soon.
I always think the STL-NASH rivalry is a bit underrated. I really think STL-MIN is on the rise as well. Ultimately, regardless of what everyone thinks about the playoff format, it's going to strengthen these rivalries because we could be seeing the same teams year in and year out.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Doohickie
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Doohickie »

As a fan of another team, I think that would be a fabulous game for the big stage.

Doohickie
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Doohickie »

for these....

Both jerseys are okay really. If you like traditional, the first one wins hands down. The second one looks a lot better out on the ice that it ought to though.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:

I always think the STL-NASH rivalry is a bit underrated. I really think STL-MIN is on the rise as well. Ultimately, regardless of what everyone thinks about the playoff format, it's going to strengthen these rivalries because we could be seeing the same teams year in and year out.
It's huge for the sport as a whole as well. Any time you can add a rivalry, you're going to increase fan interest. It creates a lot of buzz. As much as I would love for the rest of the central to suck, it makes for really good, intense hockey, basically all season long. Every game matters.

The NHL is on the rise. Pretty amazing considering where it was only a few seasons ago.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

STLADOGG wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:Image
This is about the color blue I hope the Blues go with for their new sweaters.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

I was looking up some stats and wanted to compare Stastny to Spezza just to see how much different each would be so here is a break down.

2013-14 season
Stastny
Games Played 71
Goals Scored 25
Assists Scored 35
+/- Plus 9
Penalty Minutes 22
Power Play Goals Scored 4
Game wining Goals scored 4
Shots 150 Shot % 16.7
Goals scored by period 1st 6 - 2nd 10 - 3rd 8 - OT 1 – SO 0/0
Empty net goals scored 3
Hits 54
Blocks 46
Giveaways 20
Takeaways 35
Total Ice Time Average 18:23
Face Offs Win/ Loss 655/555 – 54.1%
Games played West 43
Games Played East 28
Goals against West 19
Goals against East 6
Assists West 22
Assist East 13
Points West 41
Points East 19
+/- West +1
+/- East +8
PIMs West 14
PIMs East 8

Spezza
Games Played 75
Goals Scored 23
Assists Scored 43
+/- Minus 26
Penalty Minutes 46
Power Play Goals Scored 9
Game wining Goals scored 5
Shots 223
Shot % 10.3
Goals scored by period 1st 5 - 2nd 9 - 3rd 9 - OT 0 – SO 4/13
Empty net goals scored 1
Hits 17
Blocks 26
Giveaways 68
Takeaways 47
Total Ice Time Average 18:12
Face Offs Win/ Loss 775/661 – 54.0%
Games played West 26
Games Played East 49
Goals against West 8
Goals against East 15
Assists West 16
Assist East 27
Points West 24
Points East 42
+/- West -11
+/- East -15
PIMs West 18
PIMs East 28
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Blues sign Stasny!

Post by Robb_K »

[quote="dmiles2186"]So, Army apparently alluded to Lehtera centering Schwartz and Senko.

So your lines could look like this:

20-26-42
9-Lehtera-91
21-17-74

That's actually pretty legit.[/quote]

I like it a LOT. It's the BEST Top 9 The Blues have EVER had. I've been following them since Day 1 -at the 1967 Expansion Draft. Their whole roster is the best they've ever had in terms of talent and age level. Now, let's see them get confident from winning, and get the killer instinct that leads to championships!

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

ViPeRx007 wrote:The NHL is on the rise. Pretty amazing considering where it was only a few seasons ago.
Agreed...but...the constant rumblings about expansion and serious talk of $12M salaries, I hope the league isn't about to massively overplay its hand again.