Hawks Re-sign Toews/Kane to Matching 8 yr, 84M extensions

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Hawks Re-sign Toews/Kane to Matching 8 yr, 84M extensions

Post by dmiles2186 »

That's a whole lot of dimes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/blackhawks ... --nhl.html
CHICAGO (AP) -- This was a no-brainer from start to finish. Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane wanted to stay in Chicago and the Blackhawks wanted to keep the high-scoring forwards in the only NHL uniform they have ever known.
Related Stories

Blackhawks GM expects to extend Kane, Toews The SportsXchange
Report: Blackhawks' Kane, Toews seek $12M The SportsXchange
Toews: Kane and I want to be in Chicago ‘as long as we possibly can be’ NBC Sports
Smith, Raanta agree to extensions with Blackhawks The Associated Press
NHL roundup: Blackhawks seek Kane, Toews extensions The SportsXchange

All that was left was crunching the numbers on a pair of the biggest contracts in franchise history.

The Blackhawks announced Wednesday they had reached eight-year extensions with two of their top performers in a long run of success that includes Stanley Cup titles in 2010 and 2013. Toews and Kane led Chicago back to the Western Conference final this year, where it lost to the eventual NHL champion Los Angeles Kings.

General manager Stan Bowman said all along that the extensions were his biggest offseason priority, and it didn't take very long to reach the agreements with Pat Brisson, who represents both players. Toews and Kane each have one year left on their five-year extensions from December 2009, and July 1 was the first day they could sign new deals.

Toews and Kane made it clear right after the Game 7 loss to Los Angeles that they wanted to stay with the Blackhawks, who added (hash)8MoreYears to their tweets about the deal.

''There's no organization in sports that cares more about the overall experience of their fans and the success of their players,'' Toews said in a statement released by the team. ''There's nothing we want more as players than to continue to win Stanley Cups for the best hockey fans on the planet.''

Toews, the No. 3 selection in the 2006 draft, was just 20 when he became the 34th captain in team history in July 2008. He is regarded as one of the NHL's best two-way players, winning the Selke Trophy last season as the league's best defensive forward.

Kane, the top overall pick in the 2007 draft, has developed into one of the NHL's most clutch players after questions about his maturity dogged the dynamic winger for the first part of the career. He had the series-clinching goal in Game 6 of the 2010 Stanley Cup finals at Philadelphia, and won the Conn Smythe Trophy last year as playoff MVP.

The 25-year-old Kane put on another impressive display in this year's postseason, almost bringing Chicago back from a 3-1 deficit against Los Angeles. He had two goals and eight assists in the final four games of the series against the Kings.

The extensions for Toews and Kane mean the Blackhawks have much of their core group locked up through the 2016-17 season. Bowman could face some sticky situations with the salary cap in the coming years, but his team should be a Stanley Cup contender for a while.

''The signings of Jonathan and Patrick symbolize an important milestone in franchise history,'' Blackhawks President and CEO John McDonough said. ''We are driven by the pursuit of consistent excellence and today is a huge step forward.''

The 26-year-old Toews has at least 23 goals and 25 assists in each of his seven NHL seasons. He set career highs with 32 goals and 44 assists in the 2010-11 season. Kane averages 25 goals and 45 assists per year. He had a career-high 30 goals and 58 assists for the 2009-10 campaign.

More important for Chicago, each player has been at his best in the postseason. Kane is fifth on the franchise's career list with 37 playoff goals and his 54 assists ranks sixth in team history. Toews (29 goals, 52 assists) also is in the top 10 in each category.

---

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Hawks Re-sign Toews/Kane to Matching 8 yr, 84M extension

Post by ecbm »

Been discussing this. Toews is worth his weight in gold, no problem there. He did, however, use his stature with the team to get Kane a ridiculous contract that, without large and unforeseen rises in the salary cap, will tie CHI's hands for years. They're going to spend the next decade with an absolutely diesel top line but little depth at C (revolving cast of stopgaps like Richards at 2C rather than acquiring a Spezza/Stastny) and replacing important role players like Oduya, Sharp, Saad, Rozsival and Seabrook with dice rolls on kids and third/fourth-line types. I don't fault Bowman for making the deals. But I don't like them together and I especially don't like Kane's. In my opinion he's quite possibly the most overrated player in the league. I'm not saying he's not very good, he is, but last season his goal total was the same as David Backes and he was a +7 on one of the best teams in the league. Obviously, Kane isn't a center, doesn't take faceoffs, doesn't hit and doesn't kill penalties or shut down top opposition. Backes does all that, while scoring at a slightly lower pace, for $4.75M per.

I have to admit, this does make Armstrong look like a genius. Bowman's shown himself to be pretty good too so I imagine he has a plan. Otherwise, they're on their way to being late stage Shero's Penguins Mk II. We'll see.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Agreed.
That's a fair deal for Toewes...I guess, but I don't like the Kane deal.
Way too much money for him, and way too many years.

At this point, it looks like they will have cap issues in a couple years. But a lot can happen between now and then I guess.

These deals other teams are making just make Armstrong & the Blues look better and better...except for that whole zero cups thing. :?
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

cprice12 wrote:Agreed.
That's a fair deal for Toewes...I guess, but I don't like the Kane deal.
Way too much money for him, and way too many years.

At this point, it looks like they will have cap issues in a couple years. But a lot can happen between now and then I guess.

These deals other teams are making just make Armstrong & the Blues look better and better...except for that whole zero cups thing. :?
I don't like either contract - both are overpaid and average 25 goals a year. Just think of the precedent it sets for a guy who scores 35 goals a year or more. Kane and Toews are handled as a 'unit' very much like the Sedin twins are. There's a fear that paying one less than the other will lead to strife within the locker room.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

ecbm wrote:Been discussing this. Toews is worth his weight in gold, no problem there.
There's a big problem there - he's not worth it. Yes he's elite, yes he's a great player, and yes I want him to stay. But....at $10.5M for a guy who averages 25 goals a year? Hell no.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Saw this posed on Twitter. Would you rather have Toews at 10.5 per, or Bergeron at 6.5?

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I love these deals!!! Couldn't have made them better myself! This is Garth Snow/Mike Milbury good!!!

Both contracts are overpay, Kane more than Toews.

This is really going to hamstring their flexibility going forward and undermine their efforts to field a contender in the years to come. Way too much money and way too many years. With the current salary constraints, a career ending injury would be catastrophic to the team. A retirement would be even worse for the cap.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:I love these deals!!! Couldn't have made them better myself! This is Garth Snow/Mike Milbury good!!!

This is really going to hamstring their flexibility going forward and undermine their efforts to field a contender in the years to come. Way too much money and way too many years. With the current salary constraints, a career ending injury would be catastrophic to the team. A retirement would be even worse for the cap.
Even Stastny was considered overpaid with this current contract the Blues gave him. Great signing? Yep. Overpaid based on his numbers? Yes. You shouldn't like these deals as all teams are impacted. The record breaking Kane/Toews deals just mean that your average player will want a higher salary. If you think this only applies to the Blackhawks you are being short-sighted.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

That's a lot of pocket change to beat up cabbies over.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Kerfuffle wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:I love these deals!!! Couldn't have made them better myself! This is Garth Snow/Mike Milbury good!!!

Even Stastny was considered overpaid with this current contract the Blues gave him. Great signing? Yep. Overpaid based on his numbers? Yes. You shouldn't like these deals as all teams are impacted. The record breaking Kane/Toews deals just mean that your average player will want a higher salary. If you think this only applies to the Blackhawks you are being short-sighted.
EIGHT YEARS
The money is too high, sure, but the TERM is the issue.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

not_a_wings_fan wrote: EIGHT YEARS
The money is too high, sure, but the TERM is the issue.
No it isn't. Toews is only 26 and Kane is 25. 8 years was the expected term to be given to each player and I am fine with that as both will come off this contract at ages 34 and 33 which is still young. The AVV money is the problem at $10.5M per.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Spending over 25% of payroll on under 10% of the roster? Better hope some young guys making jack shit step up.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Statistically speaking this analogy isn't even close to identical, but this is equivalent to the Blues giving huge contracts to Tarasenko and Schwartz. What could possibly go wrong? Oh, just they can't afford a decent balance on the blueline or a 2nd line or a 3rd line. Just one great line, one good line and two lines of 4th liners, inadequate defense and porous goaltending.

Yes, they really better hope a bunch of nobodies nut up and play out of their minds for the next 8 years because that's all they'll be able to afford, long term.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

I don't care how old they will be... I am not signing ANYONE to an 8 year deal that counts 10.5 mil on my cap. (Frank). That.

I don't care if I have to buck up big again in four years... I don't want the risk.

One neck/back/leg injury and these contracts are stones around your neck.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

glen a richter wrote: Yes, they really better hope a bunch of nobodies nut up and play out of their minds for the next 8 years because that's all they'll be able to afford, long term.
No, they'll just make some trades to dump some salaries and give a few up-and-comers a chance. Every roster has to have some salaries below a $1M. Right now our roster is stacked with guys making huge contracts - it's the price of winning. And we need to adjust to it.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:I don't care how old they will be... I am not signing ANYONE to an 8 year deal that counts 10.5 mil on my cap. (Frank). That.

I don't care if I have to buck up big again in four years... I don't want the risk.

That's sounds great but if you're the Blues GM and you have 2 guys that are the cornerstone of your team and delivered you 2 cups and are only 25 and 26 years old, I would bet you would give those guys 8 year deals in a heartbeat. Again, the term does not bother me as Kane and Toews are very young. What I do not like is the cap hit which is at least $1M more than what it should be.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Kerfuffle wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:I don't care how old they will be... I am not signing ANYONE to an 8 year deal that counts 10.5 mil on my cap. (Frank). That.

That's sounds great but if you're the Blues GM and you have 2 guys that are the cornerstone of your team and delivered you 2 cups and are only 25 and 26 years old, I would bet you would give those guys 8 year deals in a heartbeat. Again, the term does not bother me as Kane and Toews are very young. What I do not like is the cap hit which is at least $1M more than what it should be.
No, he wouldn't.

I don't think you have paid enough attention to his work if you would say that.

They wouldn't go near Stastny if he wanted that long of a deal. They paid a couple extra mil to shorten the deal.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Holy shit, what a disaster. Really happy we got the Stastny deal done before he had a chance to see this and get all greedy. $21m/yr for TWO PLAYERS. MY WORD.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

These signing ironically make sense for the immediate future of the Blackhawks.

The Hawks have some serious depth in the minors to the point that for them to stay competative is going to simply require that the Blackhawks go constantly deep in the playoffs and remain the "It" place to want to play. I envision a future where players will take serious discounts just to play on a serious contender. Players did it for the Miami Heat, why wouldn't a team like the Blackhawks not follow suit? Take less money for a real shot to get your name on a hundred-plus year old trophy? Why not, right?

I think this move is going to do the most damage to small market, budget teams because they won't be able to compete with this kind of contract. I'm surprised the CBA didn't set an individual player cap when they set the team cap. That to me would have instantly nipped this problem in the bud....oh, Bettman is still the Comissioner...nevermind. >.>
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

How can you guys question Kane?? He has more game winning playoff goals since 2010 than ANY other player! Even Blues fans were saying how clutch he is until the Kings eliminated the Hawks. Plus he is known as one of the hardest workers in hockey who has a pretty tough off season workout regimen as well.

I agree the money is insane BUT the money is insane all over the NHL! We can thank Gretzky ' s move stateside for that. Before Gretzky came to LA the average NHL salary was about $200K!