Per Strickland; Weight/Birner/8th for Andy McDonald

A collection of some of the best threads evar!!!

Moderator: LGB Mods

Postby SIU LAW » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:51 am

FloPoErich wrote:I don't get why everyone bashes the lack of Blues coverage, but then also bashes the #2 Blues reporter in town... :roll:


There is no doubt, because of his profession, Strickland has contacts and sources. However, that does not make him a god.

There are some dirty laundry things that I am not going to air out here (for various reasons), but I think OS can back me up here, without getting into specifics, when I say Strickland is a douche bag and diva of the highest order.

Put aside the silly things he gets wrong…that can happen to anybody. Right? Many times over? Sure, why not.

Strickland has a bad habit of doing absolutely careless fact checking or relying on sources he shouldn’t. There was an incident last year where he used a questionable report about a certain individual that was posted on the internet, and he quickly ran to his blog to post the information. Turns out that the online source had it completely wrong, and was the only place that listed this wrong and greatly exaggerated information. All the other media outlets involved with this incident had their facts right, but Strickland could not be bothered with checking out the facts first.

Strickland was contacted by this individual’s family, but he failed to ever retract or apologize for his mistake. He left the damn posting up.

When it came to Erik Johnson last year, and him possibly joining the team late last year, the ramifications of his contract and the CBA last year were discussed. He kept putting out wrong information regarding this, and tried to discredit anyone that could show him in black & white what the rules were. He eventually blame the initial interpretation on the Blues’ staff, and then he got the “correction” completely wrong again. Blaming the higher ups on CBA interpretations. Wow.

These are just a couple of examples.

He glosses over his mistakes, ignore them or even edit the posting to act like it never happened.

Trust me, there are individuals in the “hockey media” that know Strickland is a joke.

The problem is, a lot of people cannot call him because they know they are shooting themselves in the foot. Strickland is highly regarded simply because he gets information, and there are many information starved, over-obsessive individuals who will take whatever they get. You call out Strickland, you know you are alienating a lot of people.

He is also a known liar and a hypocrite.

I expect he will be contacting me sooner or later about this. Bring it on. If he wants more details to go public, I would be glad to do it.

Chalk all this up to irrational ramblings if you want, but I find this guy pretty worthless. You want to put stock in him, that is your business.
User avatar
SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 8683
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:26 am
Location: Hockey God Party Room

Postby ProngerBlues44 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:09 pm

SIU LAW wrote:
FloPoErich wrote:I don't get why everyone bashes the lack of Blues coverage, but then also bashes the #2 Blues reporter in town... :roll:


There is no doubt, because of his profession, Strickland has contacts and sources. However, that does not make him a god.

There are some dirty laundry things that I am not going to air out here (for various reasons), but I think OS can back me up here, without getting into specifics, when I say Strickland is a douche bag and diva of the highest order.

Put aside the silly things he gets wrong…that can happen to anybody. Right? Many times over? Sure, why not.

Strickland has a bad habit of doing absolutely careless fact checking or relying on sources he shouldn’t. There was an incident last year where he used a questionable report about a certain individual that was posted on the internet, and he quickly ran to his blog to post the information. Turns out that the online source had it completely wrong, and was the only place that listed this wrong and greatly exaggerated information. All the other media outlets involved with this incident had their facts right, but Strickland could not be bothered with checking out the facts first.

Strickland was contacted by this individual’s family, but he failed to ever retract or apologize for his mistake. He left the damn posting up.

When it came to Erik Johnson last year, and him possibly joining the team late last year, the ramifications of his contract and the CBA last year were discussed. He kept putting out wrong information regarding this, and tried to discredit anyone that could show him in black & white what the rules were. He eventually blame the initial interpretation on the Blues’ staff, and then he got the “correction” completely wrong again. Blaming the higher ups on CBA interpretations. Wow.

These are just a couple of examples.

He glosses over his mistakes, ignore them or even edit the posting to act like it never happened.

Trust me, there are individuals in the “hockey media” that know Strickland is a joke.

The problem is, a lot of people cannot call him because they know they are shooting themselves in the foot. Strickland is highly regarded simply because he gets information, and there are many information starved, over-obsessive individuals who will take whatever they get. You call out Strickland, you know you are alienating a lot of people.

He is also a known liar and a hypocrite.

I expect he will be contacting me sooner or later about this. Bring it on. If he wants more details to go public, I would be glad to do it.

Chalk all this up to irrational ramblings if you want, but I find this guy pretty worthless. You want to put stock in him, that is your business.


Strickland is a damn sell out as well. He receives a paycheck from the Blues on the side (check out who does the post game interviews on the Blues main site), and feeds us the propaganda from the organization. We think that we are receiving actual insight from a knowledgable hockey writer, when it really is just the organization telling him what to say sometimes. Where is your integrity Strickland?

I am not badmouthing the Blues organization by any means, its good business having a writer on your side. Just check out his recent column about Eric Brewer on hockeybuzz.com. I think you will all understand why he is a horrid hockey resource in this aspect of it too.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alex Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

Check out my website and podcast at HockeyPodcastDirectory.com
User avatar
ProngerBlues44
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:45 pm
Location: The Penalty Box

Postby dmiles2186 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:16 pm

Prngr44 wrote:Everyone keeps saying JD, JD, JD.... what if... no it couldn't be....
certainly it's not... Pleau's doing??

Say it ain't so!!


Hey, look at my post directly above you. I knew someone would say the exact same thing you did...and I made sure to include Pleau's name because, of course, he is the GM. But you can't help but think that JD was involved in it too.
Image
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 6209
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Postby crazy blues fan » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:34 pm

SIU LAW wrote:
FloPoErich wrote:I don't get why everyone bashes the lack of Blues coverage, but then also bashes the #2 Blues reporter in town... :roll:


There is no doubt, because of his profession, Strickland has contacts and sources. However, that does not make him a god.

There are some dirty laundry things that I am not going to air out here (for various reasons), but I think OS can back me up here, without getting into specifics, when I say Strickland is a douche bag and diva of the highest order.

Put aside the silly things he gets wrong…that can happen to anybody. Right? Many times over? Sure, why not.

Strickland has a bad habit of doing absolutely careless fact checking or relying on sources he shouldn’t. There was an incident last year where he used a questionable report about a certain individual that was posted on the internet, and he quickly ran to his blog to post the information. Turns out that the online source had it completely wrong, and was the only place that listed this wrong and greatly exaggerated information. All the other media outlets involved with this incident had their facts right, but Strickland could not be bothered with checking out the facts first.

Strickland was contacted by this individual’s family, but he failed to ever retract or apologize for his mistake. He left the damn posting up.

When it came to Erik Johnson last year, and him possibly joining the team late last year, the ramifications of his contract and the CBA last year were discussed. He kept putting out wrong information regarding this, and tried to discredit anyone that could show him in black & white what the rules were. He eventually blame the initial interpretation on the Blues’ staff, and then he got the “correction” completely wrong again. Blaming the higher ups on CBA interpretations. Wow.

These are just a couple of examples.

He glosses over his mistakes, ignore them or even edit the posting to act like it never happened.

Trust me, there are individuals in the “hockey media” that know Strickland is a joke.

The problem is, a lot of people cannot call him because they know they are shooting themselves in the foot. Strickland is highly regarded simply because he gets information, and there are many information starved, over-obsessive individuals who will take whatever they get. You call out Strickland, you know you are alienating a lot of people.

He is also a known liar and a hypocrite.

I expect he will be contacting me sooner or later about this. Bring it on. If he wants more details to go public, I would be glad to do it.

Chalk all this up to irrational ramblings if you want, but I find this guy pretty worthless. You want to put stock in him, that is your business.


I think Strickland is good at getting information to the fans but his opinions and views is what I disagree with a lot. He did not agree with getting rid of Mike Kitchen because he was such a nice guy. :roll:
Image
Thanks to Viper for the great sig!
crazy blues fan
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2351
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:01 pm

Postby FloPoErich » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:46 pm

He is a very opinionated writer, some like that, some don't, take it as you will... However, every time I have met him or asked for anything, he has been more than willing to help me out, however he can. It is because of him that I was able to talk to a few of the players that I have. I appreciate the fact that he is out there talking about the Blues and providing information. That is more than what can be said for 3/4 of the media in St. Louis. I know alot of people don't like him, I do and we're all entitled to our opinions, however I will take as many Blues writers as I can have, with or without opinions.
Image
Image
User avatar
FloPoErich
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2073
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:18 pm
Location: Florissant, MO

Postby ohio BLUES » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:47 pm

Is it weird that I woke up this morning thinking of the promotions McDonald's could do with our new center (who, in my dream, was wearing Drake's #10).

Two goals by AM in a game = free happy meal for everyone in attendance! :lol:
Image

Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock
User avatar
ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 10346
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:42 pm

Postby FloPoErich » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:51 pm

ohio BLUES wrote:Is it weird that I woke up this morning thinking of the promotions McDonald's could do with our new center (who, in my dream, was wearing Drake's #10).

Two goals by AM in a game = free happy meal for everyone in attendance! :lol:

This is just the AM organIzation.....
Al Mac=AM
Andy Murray=AM
Andy Mac=AM

Oh Noes!
Image
Image
User avatar
FloPoErich
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2073
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:18 pm
Location: Florissant, MO

Postby barnburner » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:38 pm

Question is....
Does King give up his #19 to McDonald???

or....

Does McDonald have to fight him for it????
User avatar
barnburner
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5490
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:56 am
Location: Valmeyer, Illinois

Postby rebelmusic » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:41 pm

FloPoErich wrote:He is a very opinionated writer, some like that, some don't, take it as you will... However, every time I have met him or asked for anything, he has been more than willing to help me out, however he can. It is because of him that I was able to talk to a few of the players that I have. I appreciate the fact that he is out there talking about the Blues and providing information. That is more than what can be said for 3/4 of the media in St. Louis. I know alot of people don't like him, I do and we're all entitled to our opinions, however I will take as many Blues writers as I can have, with or without opinions.


I think he is sweet on you.
Proud LGB Sponsor of my junk!
User avatar
rebelmusic
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1778
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:35 pm
Location: The City of U

Postby Ehijo » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:09 pm

Found this among the comments on Strickland's latest blog. At least he tries to explain himself, lets give him that. Still, he should have better judgement about what he posts. Sometimes his reports are just ridiculous. Like the Brewer thing for example, or the time he bashed Edm GM Kevin Lowe and didn't have his facts straight. Every good journalist must always double check his info. ALWAYS.

Andy Strickland @ hockeybuzz.com wrote:You can do whatever you want man, i'm not all that worried about it. Maybe a quick explanation will shed some light on the matter. When I said no trade was happening the other day it was because I knew Weight rejected the trade and because JD told me there would be no-trade. Things can change in this business over night. i've been around long enough to understand this. If I'm given something off the record and told not to report it then I won't. Did I lead you down the worong path when I reported the trade first, long before the Blues released an official statement? I reported it once once Weight agreed to go which was the right time? Understand what my job is. Believe me, I wish I could write the majority of information I learn. I wouldn't force you to read my blog my man, and there's no need for you to annnounce your future plans. You should do whatever you want, like I said I'm really not all that concerned.

Best,

Andy
Image
User avatar
Ehijo
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1820
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:04 am
Location: Borås, Sweden

Postby SIU LAW » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:26 pm

AndyStrickland wrote:Despite the rumors, there are no trades in the works involving the St. Louis Blues. I just got off the phone with a high ranking Blues official.


AndyStrickland wrote:Weight rejected the trade earlier in the week, so I reported there wasn't a trade happening.


If Strickland were on Seinfeld, he would be dubbed a “word parser.”
User avatar
SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 8683
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:26 am
Location: Hockey God Party Room

Postby Sudsy11 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:27 pm

dmiles2186 wrote:
Prngr44 wrote:Everyone keeps saying JD, JD, JD.... what if... no it couldn't be....
certainly it's not... Pleau's doing??

Say it ain't so!!


Hey, look at my post directly above you. I knew someone would say the exact same thing you did...and I made sure to include Pleau's name because, of course, he is the GM. But you can't help but think that JD was involved in it too.


It seems logical now that Pleau took unfair criticism as GM under the Laurie regime. I'll be the first to admit some of that criticism came from me. I've never felt strongly pro or anti Pleau. I just thought of him as an average GM that had strengths and weaknesses. Personality wise he seems boring yet loyal IMO. Even considering obstacles he had to deal with (Hasek situation), I still contend he never resolved the goaltending situation adequately when the Blues were a contender previously. I thought he lacked the creativity to solve a long term glaring problem. I wanted JD to get rid of him and start fresh after Checketts bought the team. It turns out the JD/Pleau combo works well together. Props to both of them.
However, it also seems illogical that after all of these years suddenly Pleau became this creative genius at the same time JD arrived. A more logical assumption would be JD calls the shots using Pleau's strengths to his benefit.
Question Authority
Sudsy11
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:56 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Postby WaukeeBlues » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:29 pm

_Gassoff wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
Is Weight going to call it a career then or what?


Of course not. In the off-season, the Blues will sign Dug Waitz and he will play teh hockies until we trade him again.

Duh.


2 rentals in three seasons? :lol:

If I were Weight, I'd be getting sick of that.

I personally think that's it for him in the bluenote but that's just me.
Image
User avatar
WaukeeBlues
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 4703
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Phi Alpha

Postby richtedm » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:33 pm

Wasn't part of the rationale behind the trade was that even if Weight did not retire at the end of the year it would not matter because the Blues would not resign him? Weight won't be back - which is too bad, but the Blues made a great move bringing McDonald.

On February 1st, I, for one, will be in attendance to give Doug Weight a hearty welcome when he comes back.
Official All-Time Co-Sponsor of Cam Janssen

Image
User avatar
richtedm
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1691
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 5:02 pm
Location: Dallass

Postby dmiles2186 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:36 pm

richtedm wrote:On February 1st, I, for one, will be in attendance to give Doug Weight a hearty welcome when he comes back.


February 1st...greatest day of the year. Not for Doug Weight's return (although that will be cool), but it's my birthday and it should be recognized as a national holiday, but I'll let that argument slide for another time. :grin:
Image
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 6209
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Postby WaukeeBlues » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:38 pm

richtedm wrote:On February 1st, I, for one, will be in attendance to give Doug Weight a hearty welcome when he comes back.


I'll put it this way, if he comes back, it's going to cost the Blues very little to do so, otherwise, it isn't going to happen.

That would be my take on it. A warm fuzzy isn't a good enough reason to sacrifice draft picks or other players to bring someone back.
Image
User avatar
WaukeeBlues
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 4703
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Phi Alpha

Postby ohio BLUES » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:41 pm

WaukeeBlues wrote:
richtedm wrote:On February 1st, I, for one, will be in attendance to give Doug Weight a hearty welcome when he comes back.


I'll put it this way, if he comes back, it's going to cost the Blues very little to do so, otherwise, it isn't going to happen.

That would be my take on it. A warm fuzzy isn't a good enough reason to sacrifice draft picks or other players to bring someone back.

:moran:

The Ducks are in town that night.
Image

Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock
User avatar
ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 10346
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:42 pm

Postby WaukeeBlues » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:45 pm

ohio BLUES wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
richtedm wrote:On February 1st, I, for one, will be in attendance to give Doug Weight a hearty welcome when he comes back.


I'll put it this way, if he comes back, it's going to cost the Blues very little to do so, otherwise, it isn't going to happen.

That would be my take on it. A warm fuzzy isn't a good enough reason to sacrifice draft picks or other players to bring someone back.

:moran:

The Ducks are in town that night.


:oops: :roll: thanks...
Image
User avatar
WaukeeBlues
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 4703
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Phi Alpha

Postby barnburner » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:39 pm

WaukeeBlues wrote:
_Gassoff wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
Is Weight going to call it a career then or what?


Of course not. In the off-season, the Blues will sign Dug Waitz and he will play teh hockies until we trade him again.

Duh.


2 rentals in three seasons? :lol:

If I were Weight, I'd be getting sick of that.

I personally think that's it for him in the bluenote but that's just me.


J.D. has already said that there are no plans for Weight in the Blues future.
User avatar
barnburner
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5490
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:56 am
Location: Valmeyer, Illinois

Postby Blueline29 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:57 pm

Was just up at Chesterfield Mall (for which I should be committed immediately) and found it a little sad when browsing in the Sports Fanatic or whatever store that Weight & Edmonds stuff was already half-price.

Completely random observation: Warren Sapp is nauseating. (Watching the Rams Classic Games of 1999 box set I bought this afternoon. Merry Christmas to me. 8) )
User avatar
Blueline29
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 14778
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:13 am
Location: Windermere, FL

PreviousNext

Return to Hall Of Fame

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests