Livestream on HDMI-TV via IMac

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Livestream on HDMI-TV via IMac

Postby Jaykay » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:12 am

Hi everyone,

Maybe someone here can help me or has a good idea. I have the following issue.

Since I am from switzerland I used to watch the NHL on ESPN America. Now I learned that ESPN does not have any right to broadcast NHL-Games anymore right now, maybe they will purchase the rights maybe not, who knows.

The other thing would be to stream the games directly from NHL.com. Since I do not like to sit on my desk at home watching the games - I'd prefer to hang on my couch to do it. I wondered how I could do this.

I have an IMac (bought 2 years ago) and some friends told me to go to the store and buy AppleTV. So I went to the Apple-Store and told them what I want to do. They then told me that it is not possible to live-stream directly from my IMac onto my HDMI-TV.

I can either download the stream and watch it, via ITunes over Apple-TV onto my HDMI-TV, or I need to find an IPhone/IPad-App, such as the Youtube-App, where the games are streamed with.

So my question is, has anyone an idea if such an app (likely from nhl.com or the broadcaster who has the rights) exists? Or any other idea, how to get this going over my IMac?

Thanks everyone in advance!
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Paul Stastny
Jaykay
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:52 am
Location: Biel, Bern

Re: Livestream on HDMI-TV via IMac

Postby thedoc » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:33 am

I don't know about Apple but I can stream from my pc to the to tv. I can't imagine it being that different. Try a Radio Shack to ask someone.
Image

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya
User avatar
thedoc
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:22 pm
Location: O'Fallon or TOP SHELF

Re: Livestream on HDMI-TV via IMac

Postby cprice12 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:29 pm

All you need is an adapter cable...assuming your tv has a DVI port and your iMac has a min-DVI port.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9321G/B

Here is some instruction:
http://www.modernworkweek.com/2009/06/hooking-up-my-imac-to-the-samsung-tv/

And you'll need a stereo auxilary cable to go from your computer's headphone jack, to the audio input jack on your tv or a stereo so you can get sound...unless you want the sound coming out of your computer.
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19532
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Livestream on HDMI-TV via IMac

Postby Jaykay » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:44 pm

Yeah, thats what I would go with:

http://store.apple.com/ch-de/product/H1 ... jI3NjA3NjA

The audio-channel would be included in that cable. The other thing is, that the guy in the store told me that the picture quality would be bad on the TV, since my Mac is 4:3 format and the tv 16:9, so I hesitate with this solution.
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Paul Stastny
Jaykay
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:52 am
Location: Biel, Bern

Re: Livestream on HDMI-TV via IMac

Postby Ruutu15 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:16 pm

Jaykay wrote:Yeah, thats what I would go with:

http://store.apple.com/ch-de/product/H1 ... jI3NjA3NjA

The audio-channel would be included in that cable. The other thing is, that the guy in the store told me that the picture quality would be bad on the TV, since my Mac is 4:3 format and the tv 16:9, so I hesitate with this solution.


Mine is a Mac house too. I get the online package every year. The adapter WILL work and suit your needs. However, if you own a Playstation 3, the NHL has an app on PS3 that will stream the games from your PS3 to your TV from your game center live subscription, in HD.
Image
User avatar
Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White
 
Posts: 6941
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:10 pm
Location: Currently in Cincinnati, OH

Re: Livestream on HDMI-TV via IMac

Postby Jaykay » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:56 pm

Ruutu15 wrote:
Jaykay wrote:Yeah, thats what I would go with:

http://store.apple.com/ch-de/product/H1 ... jI3NjA3NjA

The audio-channel would be included in that cable. The other thing is, that the guy in the store told me that the picture quality would be bad on the TV, since my Mac is 4:3 format and the tv 16:9, so I hesitate with this solution.


Mine is a Mac house too. I get the online package every year. The adapter WILL work and suit your needs. However, if you own a Playstation 3, the NHL has an app on PS3 that will stream the games from your PS3 to your TV from your game center live subscription, in HD.


In fact, I do not have any PS3, but informed me about this as well. The issue here is that the streaming on PS3 only works with a US-Account and and US-Prepaidcard for the App ($9.90 or so). This would cost me some 300 bucks in total plus the 159 for the seasonpackage, what I'd even pay. And in other forums I read that the US-Account is not a problem to get, and the prepaid-code can be bought on ebay.

They also announced an iphone/ipad-app "coming soon", but who knows how long it will take and if it will be available in europe.

I have another question on that GameCenter-Streaming. Is it really that way, that I can choose any game I want to watch and also the home- away-feed stuff? So I could choose every Blues-game?
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Paul Stastny
Jaykay
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:52 am
Location: Biel, Bern

Re: Livestream on HDMI-TV via IMac

Postby Ruutu15 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:33 pm

Jaykay wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:
Jaykay wrote:Yeah, thats what I would go with:

http://store.apple.com/ch-de/product/H1 ... jI3NjA3NjA

The audio-channel would be included in that cable. The other thing is, that the guy in the store told me that the picture quality would be bad on the TV, since my Mac is 4:3 format and the tv 16:9, so I hesitate with this solution.


Mine is a Mac house too. I get the online package every year. The adapter WILL work and suit your needs. However, if you own a Playstation 3, the NHL has an app on PS3 that will stream the games from your PS3 to your TV from your game center live subscription, in HD.


In fact, I do not have any PS3, but informed me about this as well. The issue here is that the streaming on PS3 only works with a US-Account and and US-Prepaidcard for the App ($9.90 or so). This would cost me some 300 bucks in total plus the 159 for the seasonpackage, what I'd even pay. And in other forums I read that the US-Account is not a problem to get, and the prepaid-code can be bought on ebay.

They also announced an iphone/ipad-app "coming soon", but who knows how long it will take and if it will be available in europe.

I have another question on that GameCenter-Streaming. Is it really that way, that I can choose any game I want to watch and also the home- away-feed stuff? So I could choose every Blues-game?



Yes, you can choose any game, as well as which broadcast you want to watch/hear. For example, if the Blackhawks were playing the Blues, you would have a choice of the St. Louis or Chicago broadcast.
Image
User avatar
Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White
 
Posts: 6941
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:10 pm
Location: Currently in Cincinnati, OH

Re: Livestream on HDMI-TV via IMac

Postby ohio BLUES » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:55 pm

Ruutu15 wrote:Yes, you can choose any game, as well as which broadcast you want to watch/hear. For example, if the Blackhawks were playing the Blues, you would have a choice of the St. Louis or Chicago broadcast.

Except no self-respecting Blues fan would ever pick the Chicago broadcast :twisted: :hawkssuck:
Image

Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock
User avatar
ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 10346
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:42 pm


Return to Everything Else [OT]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron